Out of the mouth of babes...

kiwififer

My daughter works in a large Glasgow store My wife and her were going round it one day and my daughter was showing her a poster she had made that was up on the wall Wife "That is a strange thing  to make having a ship and a iceberg together" Daughter-"Mother it is not a iceberg it is the Glasgow Science Center!"

On 09/09/2023 at 16:03, Boo Khaki said:

Years back, we made an ad hoc arrangement to meet at the 'bottom' of Lothian Road in Edinburgh. Cue me standing at the Princes Street end, with her getting off the bus at Tollcross then wondering where the hell I was.

Her - "You're at the top of Lothian Road. Princes Street is the top"

Me "No I am not. How the f**k can I be at the 'top' of a downhill gradient?"

"It doesn't work like that"

"So folk in Dundee go 'up' to the 'top' of the Hilltown to get to the Wellgate do they?"

"f**k you".

🤬

There is an 8m drop from the highest part of Lothian Road to where it meets Princes St. 

While its not everest, its clearly downhill.

...............although, if I was describing where I was going, I would say "up town" so go figure?

2 hours ago, throbber said:

You were one of the ones who were adamant it didn’t go south of the river iirc.

1 hour ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Because it fucking doesn't. 

Mibbes the city centre thinks like a taxi, it just doesn't go south of the river at night, but in daytime it does, so you both right....or wrong.

4 hours ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Because it fucking doesn't. 

It appeared that you were suggesting that circle was the city centre, where did that circle come from? I might have posted it but don’t think it’s my hand writing. 

30 minutes ago, throbber said:

It appeared that you were suggesting that circle was the city centre, where did that circle come from? I might have posted it but don’t think it’s my hand writing. 

Obviously not your work as Glasgow city centre would be cock n' bawsack- shaped if it were.

On 11/09/2023 at 10:32, hk blues said:

One of my classmates at the College of Commerce would insist on saying 'up the town' to go into the city centre which was clearly downhill, and pretty steeply so.  She was from Arbroath though.  

Auchtermuchty has an interesting setup:

FB_IMG_1694590261183.thumb.jpg.50fe3eac8c26453728bc55443e46636f.jpg

Auchtermuchty is a bit of a pedantic PTTGOYN as it frequently has "Auchtermuchty, Cupar" in its addresses despite Glenrothes being (marginally) closer.

eta: and yes, I know that historically Cupar was a proper market town whilst Glenrothes was a no-mark village prior to waves of squalor-dodging Weegie immigrants moving in, but still...

Edited by Hedgecutter