E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

17 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:

It's only my laptop as my phone / table / smart TV don't have the issue. Laptop is less than a year old.

So you're connected to the wifi/ethernet but can't access any websites on the laptop?

All those other devices are connecting through the same internet connection? What happens if you set up a hotspot on your phone (using 3/4G) and connect through that? Check your HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc as well in case something in there is blocking it. Or maybe it's firewall related?

Edited by Ginaro

55 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

So you're connected to the wifi/ethernet but can't access any websites on the laptop?

All those other devices are connecting through the same internet connection? What happens if you set up a hotspot on your phone (using 3/4G) and connect through that? Check your HOSTS file in C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc as well in case something in there is blocking it. Or maybe it's firewall related?

It's sporadic, and as soon as I disconnect then reconnect to Wifi it sorts itself for about 5 minutes and then everything goes down again.

I think firewall might be the culprit, will have a look.

2 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I've browsed for half an hour using my phone as hotspot and not one issue. Prior to that on Wifi I'd turned the firewall off and that worked  for a few minutes but then the DNS errors kicked back in again.

Found that file, all it says is this

image.png.829c07a5e21dd9afc4a9673879295156.png

6 minutes ago, Fuctifano said:
3 hours ago, Ginaro said:

I've browsed for half an hour using my phone as hotspot and not one issue. Prior to that on Wifi I'd turned the firewall off and that worked  for a few minutes but then the DNS errors kicked back in again.

Found that file, all it says is this

Ok, that hosts file looks normal, just wondered if something was being blocked by it. So it would seem to only be the laptop+wifi combination where it goes wrong.

If you go to the command prompt and do "ipconfig /all" it lists all the info about your network adapters, including IP and DNS settings. Try that before and after the DNS problem to see if you notice any changes in the settings? Maybe log in to your router's control panel on your phone, and look for a device list and again see if anything changes?

Also google "dns errors after 5 minutes" and see if there's anything else you could try.

• 3 weeks later...

How many folk on here have crossed the great divide and swapped from Apple to Android? Is it a simple process to take everything onto my new phone from my old one? Any help, tips or tricks greatly appreciated.

Im moving from the iPhone SE to the OnePlus6T mainly because my phone operator has entered administration and thought it was a good reason for a change.

Edited by Adam101
thanks Jimmy :)

13 hours ago, Adam101 said:

How many folk on here have crossed the great divide and swapped from Apple to Android? Is it a simple process to take everything onto my new phone from my old one? Any help, tips or ticks greatly appreciated.

Im moving from the iPhone SE to the OnePlus6T mainly because my phone operator has entered administration and thought it was a good reason for a change.

You can get cream for that.

Does anyone make small form factor Android phones any more that aren't absolutely extortionate?

There are plenty of basic Android phones that do all I need them to do for between £100 and £150 but they're all huge. I want something about the size of an iPhone SE.

1 hour ago, Gaz said:

Does anyone make small form factor Android phones any more that aren't absolutely extortionate?

There are plenty of basic Android phones that do all I need them to do for between £100 and £150 but they're all huge. I want something about the size of an iPhone SE.

The earlier samsungs like the s3 etc arent that big but do a job

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea how I can root my tablet (Huawei mediapad T3)? 

I only want to move apps to the SD card which it appears I cannot without doing so due to EMUI. 

11 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I think this is beyond me :lol:

:lol:

Unfortunately, theres no "idiots" way of rooting most devices.

Its not as complicated as it looks, to be honest. Usually just involves downloading a couple of files and accessing certain areas of the phone. If you follow the instructions closely it should be fine - of course if it isnt then you'll brick the tablet!

Hi. Looking for a wee bit of advice.
I play games online on PS4, mainly FIFA or Call Of Duty. I feel like the reaction times from when I press buttons seems slightly delayed.
I'm currently with VirginMedia using their standard "Superhub 3.0"
Would using something like this make a noticeable difference?
The older Virgin media Superhub2ac Model VMDG490 are alot better for gaming than the 3.0's. Try and pick up a 2nd hand one off eBay would be my suggestion.

Apple TV plus seems like someone turning up at a party with booze when  everyone else is pissed already.

Some good programs but another subscription. Really? I don’t get it. They used to innovate but this looks like a bad move.

• 1 month later...
On 16/03/2019 at 17:49, SweeperDee said:

Is there any reason why that whenever my phone is connected to the WiFi, it directly impacts the speed and stability of my PC’s wired connection? Surely a phone couldn’t hog all the bandwidth?

Had that problem when relatives visited, not with a wired connection though. Phoned Talk Talk and they upgraded the broadband which solved it. It actually saved us money as we went on a more suitable package.

On 28/04/2019 at 15:37, German Jag said:

Mate has an iPhone 10. Somehow he‘s managed to shift the camera settings, that now mean the preview looks like this!IMG_5394.jpg

Anyone able to help as regards how to getting it back to the full screen preview?

Take the leprechaun filter off.