E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I realise this is a very stupid question, but unfortunately I'm an idiot. Basically, if I'm in my house and am connected to the house wifi on my phone, am I right in saying that that does NOT use up my data allowance? Also, is there a way of temporarily turning off my phone's ability to go online off its own back and, presumably, use up my data allowance?

Wifi doesn't have anything to do with your allowance, you are connecting to a router not the internet ......

It shouldn't connect unless you connect it.

Managed to lose my phone battery(but not my actual phone, sim card or back board unsure.gif ) when I was wrecked last week. How easy will this be to replace? It's a Blackberry Storm 2 9520. Would any old Blackberry battery do, or do I need that specific one?

Edited by dane-don

I realise this is a very stupid question, but unfortunately I'm an idiot. Basically, if I'm in my house and am connected to the house wifi on my phone, am I right in saying that that does NOT use up my data allowance? Also, is there a way of temporarily turning off my phone's ability to go online off its own back and, presumably, use up my data allowance?

Should be able to turn off mobile data , on my iPhone it's under Network , means you can turn off data when abroad etc.

Another daft question. How do you screengrab from mobile phone (htc one v ) ?

Waiting on getting the fecker fixed first though :(

Power Button + Home Button or Power Button + Volume Down.

What is wrong with your phone, if it is anything serious you should be demanding a replacement, the thing is brand new. (unless you caused the damage)

Power Button + Home Button or Power Button + Volume Down.

What is wrong with your phone, if it is anything serious you should be demanding a replacement, the thing is brand new. (unless you caused the damage)

It was working fine. Took the phone out my pocket and then nothing.

Cheers for the advice though

I have an Acer Aspire 5733 laptop. It has a shared graphics card - 'Intel HD Graphics (shared memory)' is exactly what it says. Is it possible to upgrade this to a Dedicated Graphics Card?

Would this computer be able to play any game on medium to high settings?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200776247654#ht_2855wt_1139

Can't comment on the processor, as it's AMD and I'm not sure how their chips perform c.f. Intel (the clock speeds can't be compared like-for-like as the technology is different), but everything else looks pretty decent. You're looking at a pretty decemt GPU, a nifty amount of RAM, a decent quality motherboard. Only thing to consider is you'll need a monitor. It looks like that GPU takes VGA or DVID output so you should be covered, but best to check.

If the processor performs anything close to as well as my new i5 you're getting yourself a decent deal there for a mid-range gaming unit, assuming it all works!

Can't comment on the processor, as it's AMD and I'm not sure how their chips perform c.f. Intel (the clock speeds can't be compared like-for-like as the technology is different), but everything else looks pretty decent. You're looking at a pretty decemt GPU, a nifty amount of RAM, a decent quality motherboard. Only thing to consider is you'll need a monitor. It looks like that GPU takes VGA or DVID output so you should be covered, but best to check.

If the processor performs anything close to as well as my new i5 you're getting yourself a decent deal there for a mid-range gaming unit, assuming it all works!

Why can you not compare clock speeds between Amd and Intel chips? The one in that pc is a 4ghz quad core, so I think we can safely say it will be fine for gaming.

Why can you not compare clock speeds between Amd and Intel chips? The one in that pc is a 4ghz quad core, so I think we can safely say it will be fine for gaming.

If you look at some of the stress/benchmark tests that have been done on quad chips, the Intel Sandybridge QuadCore processors perform better than AMD quad core chips operating at higher clock speeds. For example, the CPU in that build performs less well at 4GHz clock speeds in a lot of builds than i5 processors in the 2300 and 2400 series (mid-range i5s) clocking only around 3.1GHz-3.3GHz.

Of course, most Quad Core processors (even those from 4-5 years ago) should still be perfectly competent on high settings for most games, but that doesn't mean that a higher clock speed on the most recent AMD chips means they outperform their lower-clocked intel counterparts. Indeed some of the high-end (hyperthreaded) i3 dual core processors (at 3.1GHz) produce better frame rates and no worse gaming performance in all other respects than an FX4100 with base clock of 3.6GHz Turbo-Charging to 3.8GHz.

My CD drive isn't reading any disks that I put in. I've tried an external drive plugged into one of the USB ports but same problem.

A closer inspection sees this;

post-6423-0-59067800-1343585504_thumb.jp

I can't update the driver so I'm assuming I'll just have to buy a new one. I don't need a DVD drive, just a CD will do so that it can read my disks. Any decent ones around or what sort of price should I be looking at?

My CD drive isn't reading any disks that I put in. I've tried an external drive plugged into one of the USB ports but same problem.

A closer inspection sees this;

post-6423-0-59067800-1343585504_thumb.jp

I can't update the driver so I'm assuming I'll just have to buy a new one. I don't need a DVD drive, just a CD will do so that it can read my disks. Any decent ones around or what sort of price should I be looking at?

Have you tried to reinstall the driver also

Simple question.

I have a Samsung Galaxy(the first one). Contract Cancelled. What's to stop me using a different SIM on the same phone?

The handset might be locked to the provider you had the contract with?

Simple question.

I have a Samsung Galaxy(the first one). Contract Cancelled. What's to stop me using a different SIM on the same phone?

If it's unlocked then I don't think there's anything, isn't that the point of contracts? You get to keep the phone after the contract is over.