E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I've been looking at tablets lately(Galaxy Tab), since i have a bit of spare cash, but i'm really wondering what function a tablet would have?

This question is really directed to current owners. What do you use yours for? What's the point of it? It seems a bit "gimmicky" for me, even though i'm looking at getting one.

1340164560[/url]' post='6353825']

I've been looking at tablets lately(Galaxy Tab), since i have a bit of spare cash, but i'm really wondering what function a tablet would have?

This question is really directed to current owners. What do you use yours for? What's the point of it? It seems a bit "gimmicky" for me, even though i'm looking at getting one.

It's a device that is usually used to consume data. So that includes web browsing, watching videos, listening to music and such. Since I've got my tablet (iPad), I hardly ever touch my laptop anymore unless I'm working on a paper for Uni or something that requires typing for an extended period of time. They don't really do anything groundbreaking, but they tend to do your standard computing tasks much better than a laptop or desktop in my opinion.

Is there any way, manually with cables or anything, to read a hard drive if you've taken it out of a computer?

I'm not actually sure what the problem is but there's something wrong my parent's desktop. I had a look at it months ago but wasn't sure what to do. They've since started using a laptop and recently threw all of it away, bar the "tower" part of it because it's got some things about my Dad's business that he'd like to keep. I was hoping to take the data off of it and then restore it to factory settings so I could use it for myself. Assuming that it wasn't an easy case of booting the computer up in safe mode to be able to access it or whatever, is there a way of hooking it up and viewing it on another laptop or something? I looked on Amazon and Play for "hard disk drive cables" but it didn't really provide results.

You can plug it into another PC and read the data off it that way (the PC would boot up in the normal way off its own HD)

There are two other options

1) A HD enclosure, which will turn it into an external HD, which you then connect to another machine with USB

2) A HD dock. Similar idea, but designed for when you need to take the drive in and out quickly or use more than one drive

Is there any way, manually with cables or anything, to read a hard drive if you've taken it out of a computer?

I'm not actually sure what the problem is but there's something wrong my parent's desktop. I had a look at it months ago but wasn't sure what to do. They've since started using a laptop and recently threw all of it away, bar the "tower" part of it because it's got some things about my Dad's business that he'd like to keep. I was hoping to take the data off of it and then restore it to factory settings so I could use it for myself. Assuming that it wasn't an easy case of booting the computer up in safe mode to be able to access it or whatever, is there a way of hooking it up and viewing it on another laptop or something? I looked on Amazon and Play for "hard disk drive cables" but it didn't really provide results.

Is the computer intact? If it is and it is just gubbed from a virus or whatever you can put a linux distribution on a USB stick and boot from the USB. This will allow you full access to the hard drive and then you can take off whatever files you need and then do the restore. (Does the hard disk have a recovery partition or will you be installing a clean OS)

Here is a guide how to do it

You can plug it into another PC and read the data off it that way (the PC would boot up in the normal way off its own HD)

There are two other options

1) A HD enclosure, which will turn it into an external HD, which you then connect to another machine with USB

2) A HD dock. Similar idea, but designed for when you need to take the drive in and out quickly or use more than one drive

Is the computer intact? If it is and it is just gubbed from a virus or whatever you can put a linux distribution on a USB stick and boot from the USB. This will allow you full access to the hard drive and then you can take off whatever files you need and then do the restore. (Does the hard disk have a recovery partition or will you be installing a clean OS)

Thanks guys, I'll have a look.

Yeah, the computer part is still intact, it's just got no monitor, cables or keyboard etc but it should still all be there.

Here is a cheap dock Amazon. Costs £11. Might be easier if you can't get a keyboard, mouse, monitor etc

Also check if the Hard Drive is SATA or IDE, unless the computer is very old (like 5 or more) it will probably be SATA.

Cheers, I was gonna open it up tomorrow. I've already got a mouse for my laptop and was planning on plugging it into my tv since it'd be secondary to my laptop anyway. Will need to buy a keyboard anyway if I plan to use it.

I had a look through the pinned thread but there's nothing that really fits this so:

What tools / programs are best to make sure your computer is running as fast as it can within its existing capabilities? My laptop is 3 years old now and I think it's starting to slow a bit more than it should given I only use it for web browsing / music / occasional MS office work?

I de-fragged overnight and I've used the system cleanup tool and ran a malware / virus scan.

Is there anything else I should be doing or making sure is as up to date as possible? If I try googling this I normally end up with a load of links to products of dubious quality.

Anyone else having annoying problems with popup windows when surfing on the stock android browser?

You can't actually get back to the page you wanted to view without closing the window and starting again. Doing my tits in.

I had a look through the pinned thread but there's nothing that really fits this so:

What tools / programs are best to make sure your computer is running as fast as it can within its existing capabilities? My laptop is 3 years old now and I think it's starting to slow a bit more than it should given I only use it for web browsing / music / occasional MS office work?

I de-fragged overnight and I've used the system cleanup tool and ran a malware / virus scan.

Is there anything else I should be doing or making sure is as up to date as possible? If I try googling this I normally end up with a load of links to products of dubious quality.

Someone posted on here a while ago a link to an amp called toolwiz (or something like that) its really good and does exactly what you're looking for

Tried this and I got it burned onto a disc and it loads up as what I assume is correctly but it keeps freezing before I can install it.

Gonna try a few more times after Die Hard, if it still doesn't work out then I guess it'll be the enclosure option.

Someone posted on here a while ago a link to an amp called toolwiz (or something like that) its really good and does exactly what you're looking for

I've been having a similar issue to Fuctifano and I've been trying toolwiz this evening. Shit a brick, I can't keep up with it now!

Tried this and I got it burned onto a disc and it loads up as what I assume is correctly but it keeps freezing before I can install it.

Gonna try a few more times after Die Hard, if it still doesn't work out then I guess it'll be the enclosure option.

If the disc has any blemishes at all it won't work. Oh and you don't want to install it, you want to Try It without making changes to the computer.

If the disc has any blemishes at all it won't work. Oh and you don't want to install it, you want to Try It without making changes to the computer.

I tried that(the try it option) on my laptop first and it worked fine. The picture went all glitchy(for lack of a better word) with some lines disappearing and re-appearing really fast(looks like a drip tbh). And then it'll freeze. Normally it's before the window that asks if I want to try it or install it appears but I have gotten as far as being able to click the try it option before it crashes.

It's not the cable though, because I've tried to put the cable into the tv from my laptop and it works fine, without glitching. But also, it starts up fine and goes into startup repair(well it gives the option to start normally but that just makes it restart) and when you go through the repair, it turns itself off after "repairing" but when you reboot, it hasn't repaired. The reason I say this is that when I do that(either of those), there's no glitching. So it's not the computer's graphic's card or anything.

Not sure what's wrong. I'll have a hunt online today and if I can't find anything then I guess I'll need to go with the enclosure idea, but tbh, I'm not sure that it'll be able to restore itself if it's crashing from the linux.

Just bought a new phone off Buymobilephones.net on 3 network on a contract. Im currently on orange payg, will i be given a new number and if so can i still change it back to my current one with a pac code??

Thanks

Get your PAC code and fill out a form on the website Three

Ofcom and carriers have done a great job in making things simple, the only difficult thing is taking out a new contract on the same network compared to upgrades but I think you can get around that by getting a PAYG sim and doing two transfers.

Toolwiz is spot on, incidentally. Had so much crap running at startup and I can see the difference in the speed of the laptop now, cheers.

I found the same with mine, and it's really made a difference.

However, for some reason, my speakers on my laptop no longer work and I keep getting this screen pop up every couple of hours telling me that it's rest time and that I should look out the window for a minute. I can close it easy enough, but I've not found yet how to stop it. Also, when the laptop goes into hibernation, it won't wake up again without me switching it off and restarting it. I'm tempted to uninstall it and reinstall it next time I want to have a wee clean up.

I found the same with mine, and it's really made a difference.

However, for some reason, my speakers on my laptop no longer work and I keep getting this screen pop up every couple of hours telling me that it's rest time and that I should look out the window for a minute. I can close it easy enough, but I've not found yet how to stop it. Also, when the laptop goes into hibernation, it won't wake up again without me switching it off and restarting it. I'm tempted to uninstall it and reinstall it next time I want to have a wee clean up.

Sounds (gettit?) like you might have inadvertently stopped something from starting up that the sound card needs.

The popup is from Toolwiz. You can switch it off, its in the settings somewhere.

Got myself a HTC one x (previously had a dell streak) would like to know how to copy and paste comments from Facebook etc.... Used to get the option to "select text" and do it that way. Have conversations with people from around the world and used to use Google translate but can't now. Only fluent in two languages, any help would be appreciated. ;)

Edited by gfrhandyman