E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I've scanned some documents into my computer and they've saved as pdf files, now I want to type a load of text onto these documents but can't, how can I get these files to open in word so that I can do my stuff? or is there another piece of software that will allow me to do this?

This stuff has to be done now and it's giving me a sore head.

I've scanned some documents into my computer and they've saved as pdf files, now I want to type a load of text onto these documents but can't, how can I get these files to open in word so that I can do my stuff? or is there another piece of software that will allow me to do this?

clickoris

You need to install Acrobat (not just Acrobat Reader) or one of the open source office packages that will edit pdfs.

Those instructions are for Acrobat X. If he had that, he could just edit the pdf directly

I know the answer already I think, just looking for a second opinion.

My laptop wouldn't power up today, I have now got it working with the adapter connected, but the battery removed. So the battery is goosed and I need a new one, yeah?

Sounds like it. Although, it could be the electrics around the battery rather than the battery itself. Probably worth getting it checked out

I know the answer already I think, just looking for a second opinion.

My laptop wouldn't power up today, I have now got it working with the adapter connected, but the battery removed. So the battery is goosed and I need a new one, yeah?

Does it work with the battery connected and the adapter connected? If so go to Device Manager and see if there are any wee symbols next to the Batteries icon. My old laptop started to play up and it said something along the lines of "your battery is goosed get a new one"!

I'm thinking about buying a laptop and there is deal running which includes the latest Norton sofware for an extra £30. Is it worth getting?

A bit late I know - but please don't. It's very difficult to remove, and won't stop viruses. Get AVG Free instead, or similar.

Trouble is that a trial version of it or McAfee are usually preloaded and they are a pain in the hoop to get totally out. Leave a trace and they can conflict with other progs.

Personally I refuse to use any anti virus and just go with malware stuff.

Pedantic I know - but viruses are a type of malware. Other types of malware include trojans, rootkits, worms etc. Whether software brands itself as "anti-virus" or "malware protection", if it's worth it's salt, it'll comfortably deal with all types of malware :)

A bit late I know - but please don't. It's very difficult to remove, and won't stop viruses. Get AVG Free instead, or similar.

Pedantic I know - but viruses are a type of malware. Other types of malware include trojans, rootkits, worms etc. Whether software brands itself as "anti-virus" or "malware protection", if it's worth it's salt, it'll comfortably deal with all types of malware :)

Personaly I think Antivir by Avira is the best free anti-virus ;)

On a couple of friends laptops I had to remove AVG free as it was screwing up their systems. By all thats holy, I swear it was worse than Norton to get rid of. Really really horrible thing.

I've had my new Samsung Galaxy S3 for a couple of months now, and somehow (I honestly have no idea, I just picked it up) the screen is cracked. It still works fine, but it's a pretty big fecking crack.

What's the script with getting this sorted out? A quick Google suggests it might be bloody expensive, but surely it's just a case of replacing the "glass"?

I've had my new Samsung Galaxy S3 for a couple of months now, and somehow (I honestly have no idea, I just picked it up) the screen is cracked. It still works fine, but it's a pretty big fecking crack.

What's the script with getting this sorted out? A quick Google suggests it might be bloody expensive, but surely it's just a case of replacing the "glass"?

looks like more than the glass needs replacing, screen and digitizer

here's a how 2 clicky

claim it under house insurance???

Edited by vip3r

I've got an old laptop that I tried to reformat with an old copy of xp but when I came to the key reg it said invalid key, so the laptop has a wee bit of the windows setup on it and nothing else. Now I thought about a free os because I only want to surf the net and watch films on it, I have downloaded Ubuntu converted to iso, burnt to a dvd and stuck it in the disc drive of the laptop. First thing, it's stopped the windows setup from popping up, the disc is whirring like man and I have a black screen with a cursor. What now? does ubuntu need windows running in the background doing mundane stuff?

I want to wipe clean and start again, preferably with a free os that won't be asked to work hard.

Answers, hints and advice to any of the points greatly appreciated. thank you.

I've got an old laptop that I tried to reformat with an old copy of xp but when I came to the key reg it said invalid key, so the laptop has a wee bit of the windows setup on it and nothing else. Now I thought about a free os because I only want to surf the net and watch films on it, I have downloaded Ubuntu converted to iso, burnt to a dvd and stuck it in the disc drive of the laptop. First thing, it's stopped the windows setup from popping up, the disc is whirring like man and I have a black screen with a cursor. What now? does ubuntu need windows running in the background doing mundane stuff?

I want to wipe clean and start again, preferably with a free os that won't be asked to work hard.

Answers, hints and advice to any of the points greatly appreciated. thank you.

Ubuntu definitely doesnt need windows running, no.

Are you sure its trying to boot up from the CD? Go into the BIOS and make sure the drive is set as the first boot device. Also, some PCs want you to press a function key to boot of the cd

If thats all ok, theres a version of Ubuntu that will run from the CD. Try that, and reformat the hard drive, just in case its the old windows install thats interfering.

Yeah I've done all that and it appears to be trying to boot from the disc, it's just that I've had no prompts at all, just the black screen with the cursor flashing. I've read on 'tinternet that it can take an age to install before offering prompts to finish up so I don't know if it's just that or if it's something I've done. I'll reformat and hit it with a hammer and see how i get on.

Anyone know a free site that you can upload files to for other to download? A site like megaupload but one that hasn't been seized by the American government.

Before anyone says, the file is my creation so it's not copyrighted or anything.

I tried rapidshare but you need to pay for that.