E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

On a couple of friends laptops I had to remove AVG free as it was screwing up their systems. By all thats holy, I swear it was worse than Norton to get rid of. Really really horrible thing.

its the bloody ip port monitor.. changes your wlan and lan drivers to avg versions

Yeah I've done all that and it appears to be trying to boot from the disc, it's just that I've had no prompts at all, just the black screen with the cursor flashing. I've read on 'tinternet that it can take an age to install before offering prompts to finish up so I don't know if it's just that or if it's something I've done. I'll reformat and hit it with a hammer and see how i get on.

The disc needs to be immaculate, no scratches, nicks or anything else on the surface otherwise Ubuntu won't load. Had this problem myself.

You could try this. I use it now and again, but I'm not convinced these things make all that much difference nowadays on newer machines that have massive amounts of hard disk space, RAM, etc.

That reply was to young bairn.

I prefer this

Even with a large hard drive, its still a good idea to defrag it* and windows still suffers from too much running at start up.

* unless you have a SSD, like what I just bought 8)

Any good online places to sell second hand DVDS?

I am fully aware i'll get pennies for most of them, since they are so massed produced, but what's the best way to do it?

Experiences and advice welcomed.

I took them to cash converters. Not sure if they do it on-line mind you.

Music magpie is one that springs to mind.

Any good online places to sell second hand DVDS?

I am fully aware i'll get pennies for most of them, since they are so massed produced, but what's the best way to do it?

Experiences and advice welcomed.

If you can be bothered, eBay them individually and charge a bit extra for postage.

Cheers lads. Will give one of these a go.

Not sure what the problem is but everytime I full screen you tube it's really jumpy, fine on small screen.

try this

ive found that its excellent at optimizing your PC to your own profile, and the speed of start up and shutdown is vastly increased after you run this program

plus the consistent maintenance that it can do really keeps my PC in good nick

This may be an utterly stupid question, but how do I remove this small caption box?

Edit: I have tried googling this, but to no avail. Could be using wrong keywords, though.

Possibly an adblock issue??? Maybe???

Samsung galaxy (first one)

I tried an online place (can't remember which one off hand) and they charged a couple of quid, but I then got an email from them saying they couldn't unlock my model for some reason. Which I considered highly suspect, seeing as the Galaxy S is (or was) a hugely popular handset.

I ended up taking it to a stall at the Almondvale Centre where I stay, and I think it was around £15. City centre shops may be a tad cheaper.

I can't be annoyed with the hassle of getting proper broadband installed in my new flat, so I've been looking at mobile broadband. I've used it before in the UK and it's been decent enough, so I found an alright deal with one of the Italian mobile companies. They're calling it unlimited but it's not really since once you go over 10gb of allowance they cut your speed to 32kpbs ( :lol: ) so I'm curious as to how likely I would be to go over that amount. I use Skype for maybe an average of 45 mins to an hour every day, stream the occasional film (maybe one or two a week) but I don't really download a lot else. The rest is just web browsing. Am I way off here and should I be looking elsewhere?

Edited by Zanetti

I can't be annoyed with the hassle of getting proper broadband installed in my new flat, so I've been looking at mobile broadband. I've used it before in the UK and it's been decent enough, so I found an alright deal with one of the Italian mobile companies. They're calling it unlimited but it's not really since once you go over 10gb of allowance they cut your speed to 32kpbs ( :lol: ) so I'm curious as to how likely I would be to go over that amount. I use Skype for maybe an average of 45 mins to an hour every day, stream the occasional film (maybe one or two a week) but I don't really download a lot else. The rest is just web browsing. Am I way off here and should I be looking elsewhere?

Coff coff........ Use your phone as a wifi hotspot.......coff coff........

Anyone got any answer to this? I might have to decide this afternoon. wunfellaff's suggestion doesn't work cause I don't have a phone with internet out here.

I can also cut out the film streaming entirely by the way, if it means my Skype time can be kept as it is.