E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

Unfollow people? I look after an official feed that doesnt follow anyone. Ive never seen this

I'm not following them, though. The account doesn't follow anyone.

I'm not following them, though. The account doesn't follow anyone.

Oh, so its not following them for you? Are you using twitters own interface? If so, have you tried something like Tweetdeck? Thats what I use and never seen anything like what you describe. Its also handy, as you can set up multiple columns and watch notifications, hashtags etc as well as the main feed

I'm trying to find a proper windows media player extension for Chromecast. I can make it cast the entire screen from Beta, but it isn't really of good quality and lags quite a bit.

I've tried to find an extension for it, but the original site with the wmpchrome.crx file is no longer there and I'm not having a lot of joy.

Any ideas?

I have an orders spreadsheet (Libre Office) on my laptop that I uploaded onto Dropbox. Anyway I can get them to sync to each other so that if one gets updated so does the other?

Not on Dropbox, I dont think - other than opening it directly from there rather than the remote version.

You could look into Google Docs and see if their spreadsheet will work for you. That way you dont have a local copy. Onedrive is also worth looking into, as it doesnt convert the file into another format, which Google Docs does. You might then be able to open the remote copy on Onedrive and work on it directly.

Google Drive looks like it's going to be the answer for me. Might start using it instead of Libre for all docs going forward.

I gave up on Google Drive but only because it convert my spreadsheets which meant I couldnt use excel when I wanted to. If thats not an issue then its a great way of having a central document you can edit from anywhere. I dont know if its any use to you, but you can also let others edit the same document with all the changes tracked etc

• 3 weeks later...

At work I manage our departments' Twitter feed. We don't follow anyone and don't have any intention of following anyone. However for some reason Twitter have saw it fit to say that they've suggested some people to follow and filled my Timeline with utter shite, including pish about the Royals and Joey Essex. How do I stop them from doing this?

Block the accounts?

My current laptop is this pishy Dell Inspiron N5030 that I've had at least 5 or 6 years. - http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-n5030-15-6-pentium-t4500-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

I use a computer all day every day at work so I don't spend an awful lot of time using it at home. Minimal web browsing and listening to music are about the most intensive things it gets used for. Recently it has been struggling just running iTunes and Firefox at the same time, with the memory in particular getting maxed out. I can't remember exactly when, but it's had at least one complete re-intall of windows in recent times, and I'm up to date with Anti-Virus, registry cleaners, anti-malware etc. etc. It's definitely just the age of the machine starting to show.

I'd love to just go out and buy a Surface Pro 3 but I don't think I can really justify the cost, for the limited use it would get.

Having a quick glance online I reckon I could upgrade the RAM to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD for around £150, and I've also registered for the free upgrade to Windows 10 as and when that becomes available. Do you think with all this in place my laptop will be useable, or would I be better of putting the £150 into a "new laptop fund" and saving up to replace it?

My current laptop is this pishy Dell Inspiron N5030 that I've had at least 5 or 6 years. - http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-n5030-15-6-pentium-t4500-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

I use a computer all day every day at work so I don't spend an awful lot of time using it at home. Minimal web browsing and listening to music are about the most intensive things it gets used for. Recently it has been struggling just running iTunes and Firefox at the same time, with the memory in particular getting maxed out. I can't remember exactly when, but it's had at least one complete re-intall of windows in recent times, and I'm up to date with Anti-Virus, registry cleaners, anti-malware etc. etc. It's definitely just the age of the machine starting to show.

I'd love to just go out and buy a Surface Pro 3 but I don't think I can really justify the cost, for the limited use it would get.

Having a quick glance online I reckon I could upgrade the RAM to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD for around £150, and I've also registered for the free upgrade to Windows 10 as and when that becomes available. Do you think with all this in place my laptop will be useable, or would I be better of putting the £150 into a "new laptop fund" and saving up to replace it?

You can't upgrade to 8gb,the specs day it will only take 6. TBH, you're unlikely to see much difference between 3 and 6 and an ssd will only help with boot and loading times.

If the memory I'd getting maxed it's more likely something is running in the background. Check what's running on startup and have a look at what using the memory, could actually just be Firefox.

Do you need a laptop? What about an android tablet?

You can't upgrade to 8gb,the specs day it will only take 6. TBH, you're unlikely to see much difference between 3 and 6 and an ssd will only help with boot and loading times.

If the memory I'd getting maxed it's more likely something is running in the background. Check what's running on startup and have a look at what using the memory, could actually just be Firefox.

Do you need a laptop? What about an android tablet?

Yeah I meant to put that in my initial post that it is limited to 6GB. As it only has two slots presumably the only way to upgrade from the existing 4GB to 6GB would be to put two 4GB chips in and sacrifice 2GB that will be unusable? Like you say though the difference is probably going to be unnoticeable.

I've had a good look at the performance and there is nothing obvious in the background that is slowing it down. I think the main issue, aside from age, is with Firefox. I'm posting this using Chrome and there is a big difference in performance, and memory usage. I'll maybe have a look at Firefox and see what extension is slowing it down, or I may just stick with Chrome!

Although it is true a tablet would likely provide all that I need, I have just never truly seen the point of them, especially as I have an Android smartphone. To me they are just smartphones that can do less!

I think I'll soldier on with this one for the meantime, and re-assess my needs at a later date.

Does anyone else use Sky Broadband? I've noticed recently that they've started blocking access to a lot of torrent and live streaming sites. :(

yeah. It sucks