E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

At work I manage our departments' Twitter feed. We don't follow anyone and don't have any intention of following anyone. However for some reason Twitter have saw it fit to say that they've suggested some people to follow and filled my Timeline with utter shite, including pish about the Royals and Joey Essex. How do I stop them from doing this?

Block the accounts?

My current laptop is this pishy Dell Inspiron N5030 that I've had at least 5 or 6 years. - http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-n5030-15-6-pentium-t4500-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

I use a computer all day every day at work so I don't spend an awful lot of time using it at home. Minimal web browsing and listening to music are about the most intensive things it gets used for. Recently it has been struggling just running iTunes and Firefox at the same time, with the memory in particular getting maxed out. I can't remember exactly when, but it's had at least one complete re-intall of windows in recent times, and I'm up to date with Anti-Virus, registry cleaners, anti-malware etc. etc. It's definitely just the age of the machine starting to show.

I'd love to just go out and buy a Surface Pro 3 but I don't think I can really justify the cost, for the limited use it would get.

Having a quick glance online I reckon I could upgrade the RAM to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD for around £150, and I've also registered for the free upgrade to Windows 10 as and when that becomes available. Do you think with all this in place my laptop will be useable, or would I be better of putting the £150 into a "new laptop fund" and saving up to replace it?

My current laptop is this pishy Dell Inspiron N5030 that I've had at least 5 or 6 years. - http://www.cnet.com/products/dell-inspiron-n5030-15-6-pentium-t4500-windows-7-home-premium-64-bit-3-gb-ram-320-gb-hdd/specs/

I use a computer all day every day at work so I don't spend an awful lot of time using it at home. Minimal web browsing and listening to music are about the most intensive things it gets used for. Recently it has been struggling just running iTunes and Firefox at the same time, with the memory in particular getting maxed out. I can't remember exactly when, but it's had at least one complete re-intall of windows in recent times, and I'm up to date with Anti-Virus, registry cleaners, anti-malware etc. etc. It's definitely just the age of the machine starting to show.

I'd love to just go out and buy a Surface Pro 3 but I don't think I can really justify the cost, for the limited use it would get.

Having a quick glance online I reckon I could upgrade the RAM to 8GB and replace the HDD with an SSD for around £150, and I've also registered for the free upgrade to Windows 10 as and when that becomes available. Do you think with all this in place my laptop will be useable, or would I be better of putting the £150 into a "new laptop fund" and saving up to replace it?

You can't upgrade to 8gb,the specs day it will only take 6. TBH, you're unlikely to see much difference between 3 and 6 and an ssd will only help with boot and loading times.

If the memory I'd getting maxed it's more likely something is running in the background. Check what's running on startup and have a look at what using the memory, could actually just be Firefox.

Do you need a laptop? What about an android tablet?

You can't upgrade to 8gb,the specs day it will only take 6. TBH, you're unlikely to see much difference between 3 and 6 and an ssd will only help with boot and loading times.

If the memory I'd getting maxed it's more likely something is running in the background. Check what's running on startup and have a look at what using the memory, could actually just be Firefox.

Do you need a laptop? What about an android tablet?

Yeah I meant to put that in my initial post that it is limited to 6GB. As it only has two slots presumably the only way to upgrade from the existing 4GB to 6GB would be to put two 4GB chips in and sacrifice 2GB that will be unusable? Like you say though the difference is probably going to be unnoticeable.

I've had a good look at the performance and there is nothing obvious in the background that is slowing it down. I think the main issue, aside from age, is with Firefox. I'm posting this using Chrome and there is a big difference in performance, and memory usage. I'll maybe have a look at Firefox and see what extension is slowing it down, or I may just stick with Chrome!

Although it is true a tablet would likely provide all that I need, I have just never truly seen the point of them, especially as I have an Android smartphone. To me they are just smartphones that can do less!

I think I'll soldier on with this one for the meantime, and re-assess my needs at a later date.

Does anyone else use Sky Broadband? I've noticed recently that they've started blocking access to a lot of torrent and live streaming sites. :(

yeah. It sucks

Does anyone else use Sky Broadband? I've noticed recently that they've started blocking access to a lot of torrent and live streaming sites. :(

Yeah, Virgin have been doing that for a while too. Its like whack-a-mole though, they block one, then another one pops up to replace it.

Its a legal requirement, all the other ISPs have been forced to as well.

As well as others popping up there are proxies easily found to redirect to the blocked sites

Tunnelbear seems to walk round it on virgin.

Yeah, but i'm a tight fisted old git . . . I like free and the free version of tunnelbear only gives you 500mb a month. I can do just fine not spending a penny :)

One for website/database buffs:

Is there an easy way to get data from an email (which has come from a website form) into a database,

And by email I mean Outlook and by database i mean Access (yes, I know).

I think it will depend on what the emails are on, in terms of the server. Is it exchange? If so, the newer version have an API which, supposedly, makes this "easy". As far as I know, it is possible with older versions too but is quite complex

The easier solution, if its possible, would be to update the webform to write directly to the DB

Looking to set up a home server. Already sort of use my PC as one with plex media server but would prefer a standalone device perhaps a cheap NAS device that would use less power that can be left on pretty much all the time. So something that can run plex and can listen to music or watch stuff on a roku and handle couple of them at same time. Dunno if I'm better maybe getting one that can hold 2 drives so future proof if would like to add another for more storage or backup other drive. Prob be a couple of months before I get it and a hard drive suitable. Any recommendations and rough price for something basic but reliable?

Looking to set up a home server. Already sort of use my PC as one with plex media server but would prefer a standalone device perhaps a cheap NAS device that would use less power that can be left on pretty much all the time. So something that can run plex and can listen to music or watch stuff on a roku and handle couple of them at same time. Dunno if I'm better maybe getting one that can hold 2 drives so future proof if would like to add another for more storage or backup other drive. Prob be a couple of months before I get it and a hard drive suitable. Any recommendations and rough price for something basic but reliable?

You won't get a cheap NAS that will run Plex. When it's encoding it can use quite a lot of resource. Have a look on their forums as there are usually people with recommendations, might be you'll find something in your budget.

What I'd did was put together a server with an integrated Mb and CPU. it's an MSI J1900i. It's not as powerful as I'd have liked and plex can still max it out, but it was relatively cheap and there are more powerful versions I could upgrade to if necessary. The reason I went for that is that it's really low power use, which means it can be left on without danger of over heating and without having to have noisy case fans, pretty much like a NAS. As it's running Windows I also installed Kodi on it too