E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I've got two laptops connected to the same wireless network. One of them won't connect to the internet for some reason, but it's probably because I basically stripped it of everything except Windows Media Player and about 100Gb of music (I had a starry-eyed plan at one point to have it hooked up to a surround sound system that was overly ambitious).

Basically, I'm not bothered about connecting it to the net, but is it really as difficult as Windows seems to be making it to send files (say, mp3s or album art jpegs) over a home wireless network?

One of them is Vista, the other Windows 7, if that complicates things further.

Basically, if it's a middling to large amount of hassle, I'm not bothered, but I get a feeling that it might be much easier than I'm finding it at the moment.

Any and all help appreciated.

Which versions of Vista and 7? The basic ones (Home I think) disable a lot of the networking functionality. Youre other problem will be getting the two to talk to each other. People will tell you it can be done - and Im sure it can - and you wouldnt thin two different versions of the same OS would have problems talking to each other, but I gave up in the end. And Id like to think I have a pretty good idea what Im doing

Which versions of Vista and 7? The basic ones (Home I think) disable a lot of the networking functionality. Youre other problem will be getting the two to talk to each other. People will tell you it can be done - and Im sure it can - and you wouldnt thin two different versions of the same OS would have problems talking to each other, but I gave up in the end. And Id like to think I have a pretty good idea what Im doing

I think it's Vista Ultimate and 7 Premium or something, but I also like to think you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, and as such, I give up.

Cheers, though. I'll just have to suck it up and use the USB stick.

I think it's Vista Ultimate and 7 Premium or something, but I also like to think you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing, and as such, I give up.

Cheers, though. I'll just have to suck it up and use the USB stick.

What I ended up doing (not for this reason actually, but it solved this problem too) was to get a media centre. Basically a hard drive which sits on the network and streams video, music etc to the tv. Both PCs can see that ok, so you can share files via that

As wunfellaff said, changing the channel isnt going to make any difference to signal strength

If its that bad, have a look at powerline adaptors. They take the network signal round the house via the electrical wiring. Not that cheap, but might be worth it if the wirless is unusable.

Got one today and it works a treat :rolleyes:. installed within a minute and can move it about to wherever I like, thanks for the help :D

I used to have Sky Multi-room but I cancelled it about a year back, but now looking to get it back on. Anyone know if its just a case of phoning them up and they'll switch on straight away? The box is still set up and lets me watch some channels like 1 to 5, ITV2 and BBC3 etc.

I used to have Sky Multi-room but I cancelled it about a year back, but now looking to get it back on. Anyone know if its just a case of phoning them up and they'll switch on straight away? The box is still set up and lets me watch some channels like 1 to 5, ITV2 and BBC3 etc.

Should be. They might want to send you a new card out though

Been looking through this forum for ages because I know its been asked before but cant find it ! Whats the easiest way to take music from an ipod and save it to your computer , googled it and tried a couple methods but cant get it to work.

Been looking through this forum for ages because I know its been asked before but cant find it ! Whats the easiest way to take music from an ipod and save it to your computer , googled it and tried a couple methods but cant get it to work.

Smash the ipod open with a claw-hammer and catch all those pesky mp3s with a tiny net.

....but seriously there's quite a lot of ipod unlocking programs that will rip your ipod. I use one called iPod Access. It's pretty neat and easy to use. Download that.

Smash the ipod open with a claw-hammer and catch all those pesky mp3s with a tiny net.

....but seriously there's quite a lot of ipod unlocking programs that will rip your ipod. I use one called iPod Access. It's pretty neat and easy to use. Download that.

I wish I had scrolled right down and not used your first idea. :P

Cheers !

I am trying to text someone in Bulgaria, and they have tried to text me too, but neither of us are receiving them. We are both using the international codes (+44 & +359) and both of our phones are unlocked for international use. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

I am trying to text someone in Bulgaria, and they have tried to text me too, but neither of us are receiving them. We are both using the international codes (+44 & +359) and both of our phones are unlocked for international use. Does anyone know what the problem could be?

This might sound stupid, but it's worth checking. Are you (or is s/he) remembering to leave out the first 0 of the number after the international code? Otherwise, I haven't a clue. Could it be that there's just a delay on texts arriving at their destination?

Yeah, we are both removing the 0.

We have both tried the format of +44 7...etc and 00 44 7...etc, +359 8...etc and 00359 8...etc respectively.

We can phone each other on the numbers we are using but for some reason the texts aren't getting through.

The texts we sent a couple of days ago still haven't arrived, so I'm not sure if it's just a delay issue either.

It's pretty damned annoying!

Edited by Spain

I remember this happening to me when I lived in Germany and had a German sim in my phone. I don't think I did anything in the end, but it sorted itself out...

Well, I have finally found out what the problem is, and annoyingly there appears to be no solution at present.

To send texts, your carrier must have a contract in place whereby they will exchange SMS with the other persons carrier.

In this case, O2 (my carrier) have no such contract in place with her carrier (Vivacom).

I bought Chaos Rings on the ol' Apple Pie Phone a while back. Decent enough game.

Anyway, since the 24th August it's been badgering me to update it, as there's a new version been released. Trouble is, this new version increases the size of the game by 425MB, which I don't particularly want - especially as the update only adds Japanese voices, something I'm never going to use.

What's annoying me is the wee number "1" above my icon for the App Store, showing that I have an update pending. Is there anyway I can remove this number 1 without having to update or delete the game?

PS I have a jailbroken device (not for piracy, I hasten to add, but simply to customise the phone) so if there is a Cydia program to stop the notifications anyone knows of that'd be grand.

On blackberry messanger it says I have one message unread. I've went through all my chats and delted them but it is still there. Just before It i deleted one of my contacts so it could be something to do with that. Any idea how to fix this. ?