E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

On the Android P&B app, you can Moderate your posts and select either hard or soft delete. Without someone going all Kenneth Williams what is the difference?

Edited by Swarley

On the Android P&B app, you can Moderate your posts and select either hard or soft delete. Without someone going all Kenneth Williams what is the difference?

Soft delete is when it's just hidden from public view, I think.

A hard delete is when it is properly removed from the site's servers. I'm sure a mod can clear this up.

Is this worth the money? http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CMQWJXQ/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=34FE4AW4XQ03I&coliid=I3AKZBUXXY2120

I'm wanting to get into pc gaming but I don't have a clue about it to be honest.

Its a pretty decent starting machine for that price. The 660 is a fairly old card now but still decent enough to play most games at a reasonable level.

Soft delete is when it's just hidden from public view, I think.

A hard delete is when it is properly removed from the site's servers. I'm sure a mod can clear this up.

Nope, no idea :lol:

Is it normal for a laptop to get a much stronger and faster internet connection when it's being powered by the mains compared to the battery?

Your laptops power settings may be set to high performance when on mains power and power saving mode (lower performance which may affect your internet connection) whilst on battery. Check them in the control panel.

Also if the wifi signal from your router is crap the wifi adapter in the laptop will have to work harder to maintain the connection, which will use more power. Therefore it would stand to reason that it would work better when connected to mains power. Your battery could be goosed anaw.

Your laptops power settings may be set to high performance when on mains power and power saving mode (lower performance which may affect your internet connection) whilst on battery. Check them in the control panel.

Also if the wifi signal from your router is crap the wifi adapter in the laptop will have to work harder to maintain the connection, which will use more power. Therefore it would stand to reason that it would work better when connected to mains power. Your battery could be goosed anaw.

The battery mode is set to the manufacturer's 'Eco setting' so that might be the case. I'll change it to 'High Performance Mode' and see if that makes a difference. Thanks!

Need to get some sort of anti virus on the mrs lap top - its a shitty packard bell that cost about 250 quid and adobe say its 70 for a years cover but f**k that.

What free ones are the best? Is avg 3 the best shout or are there better alternatives?

Thanks

Microsoft Security Essentials

They usually come pre loaded with a years free subscription and rely on people being naive and too lazy to search out better alternatives. Also some people will always assume a paid service is better.

Of the paid ones Norton is ridiculously processor intensive. McAfee has been pretty good on my current laptop but I don't pay for it, and never would.

Avast played havoc with my last laptop with startup taking ages (black screen, white pointer) so I ended up using Microsoft Security Essentials which I also installed on my folks laptop with no issues.

I'd also recommend installing something like Malwarebytes or Super ant spyware to deal with any malware.

Never used AVG but Ive heard its pretty decent too.

Microsoft Security Essentials is rated as totally useless for computers by all the computer mags I read.

Surely the same will apply to laptops.

I use the free version of Avast on my computer, tablet and smartphone.

The ones I read tell me it's one of the better free ones available.

The ones I read tell me it's one of the better free ones available.

It depends on what you want I guess. MSE is fine if you want something thats going to give a reasonable level of protection, use very little resource and be very unobtrusive. There are much better free ones available, like Avast, which will give you a better level of protection. I havent used any so I cant comment on the other aspects - I did use AVG before, which was great in terms of protection but popped up every two seconds and in the end got so annoying I binned it.

MSE will be fine for the majority of people

I have just found an old mini laptop at the back of a cupboard. I have a rubbish old Alcatel phone that I can connect to the laptop with a usb cable. Is there any way of going online using these devices when I am outside in the motor?

I know a smartphone would go online but I don't have one, its just that sometimes at my job I could do with getting online for certain information.

Eta. The phone has a wap function for going online but the screen is too small to see much on it.

Edited by supermik

I have just found an old mini laptop at the back of a cupboard. I have a rubbish old Alcatel phone that I can connect to the laptop with a usb cable. Is there any way of going online using these devices when I am outside in the motor?

I know a smartphone would go online but I don't have one, its just that sometimes at my job I could do with getting online for certain information.

Eta. The phone has a wap function for going online but the screen is too small to see much on it.

You would be better off getting a mobile dongle.

clicky

edited to add link

Edited by vip3r