E-Chat Quick Question Thread

forehead7

I would suggest the first thing you might want to do is back your photos to a flash drive, (just got a 128gb one for £24) and sort your photo's from there.

I know that Adobe Lightroom is probably the sort of program that would do the job for you but that is the best part of £100 ! :o Picasa is great for editing and will also show the technical info about the photo, including date etc.

All the photos will be backed up already. Lightroom is much more advanced than my requirements, and as mentioned in my original post I have no need to upload any to the cloud.

It looks like Picasa is going to do the job although I've not had a proper play about with it yet. I stupidly allowed it to search my whole computer not just the My Pictures folder so it imported all the album artwork from my iTunes. I'm midway through removing all of those before I start sorting my own.

I have a Lenovo Z500 idea pad and ever since I installed windows 8.1 about 2-3 months ago the screen brightness has gone to the minimum and I can't increase it. Been searching high and wide online but none of the solutions people are posting arn't working. My video drivers are all up to date and I tried rolling them back but no joy. Any help much appreciated.

Has anyone been experiencing problems with Google Chrome recently where extensions keep being added almost daily without asking for permission? This keeps causing new windows to open with random programmes asking me to download them. I have to keep disabling the extensions and deleting them from the Google search engine. Anyone any ideas? Could this be a virus?

Yes, yes it could.

Or it could just be a rogue extension that keeps adding itself

ETA - I probably shouldnt have said "just" there, as a rogue extension can be just as bad as a virus.

Cheers, I just noticed FLB's 'Removing Ad Virus' thread and he posted this on it;

The Adcash.com pop-ups are caused by an ad-supported extension for Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome, which is distributed through various monetization platforms during installation. The malicious browser extensions is typically added when you install another free software (video recording/streaming, download-managers or PDF creators) that had bundled into their installation this adware program.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adcash.com was one that was added to my Google Chrome browser in the last day or two so it could be a malicious extension right enough. Only problem is that I don't recall installing any free software recently. :unsure:

Hi. First post on this thread.

Friend in work put films on a data stick for me but my TV wont support it.

What type o Tv do i need and lad in my work mentioned i need a Tv to support mp4 but when i check argos online cant see Such a TV of preferred 40" Size for living room or any Tv that support Mp4

Looking for bit o guidance as cinema becoming too expensive & really not got a clue re This Technical stuff

Thanks

Edited by shawfield shed boy

Hi. First post on this thread.

Friend in work put films on a data stick for me but my TV wont support it.

What type o Tv do i need and lad in my work mentioned i need a Tv to support mp4 but when i check argos online cant see Such a TV of preferred 40" Size for living room or any Tv that support Mp4

Looking for bit o guidance as cinema becoming too expensive & really not got a clue re This Technical stuff

Thanks

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-blu-ray/televisions/large-screen-tvs-32-and-over/panasonic-viera-tx-39a300b-39-led-tv-10026077-pdt.html

My mum has received documentation from a funeral company that has left her quite upset. It's not a standard mailshot - she phoned the company up and they confirmed that someone has entered her details into her website and requested the documents come out. Is there a way a company could tell the IP address details have been entered from?

I know IP addresses can be changed, but it's worth a shot.

My mum has received documentation from a funeral company that has left her quite upset. It's not a standard mailshot - she phoned the company up and they confirmed that someone has entered her details into her website and requested the documents come out. Is there a way a company could tell the IP address details have been entered from?

Assuming you meant the funeral company's website they should have the email address at least.

Assuming you meant the funeral company's website they should have the email address at least.

They've put in her e-mail address. I don't think anyone playing a joke, or doing it for more malicious reasons, would be daft enough to put in their own e-mail address!

Its possible, but no company is going to give you that information, or at least they shouldnt.

The police can access that kind of thing but only if a criminal offence has been committed

Was it just your mum's email address they used or did they know more of her info. If it's just her email then it might have been a typo error during rego?

It was all of my mum's private info. We are pretty sure that we know who it is, it's proving it that's difficult.

Might be worth asking the police if they can help, if the funeral company won't. Sounds like something akin to identity theft, misrepresentation or something. Or let the person you suspect know that you're thinking about it, and that it will be easy to trace the person who did it. At least it will put the shits up them, and they might take a sledgehammer to their computer.

When I was abroad recently I was unable to access SkyGo as the system could determine I was not in the UK. Would using a UK based proxy server resolve this.

PS my knowledge of these things is very limited, I had to Google what a proxy server was!

When I was abroad recently I was unable to access SkyGo as the system could determine I was not in the UK. Would using a UK based proxy server resolve this.

PS my knowledge of these things is very limited, I had to Google what a proxy server was!

It might but it depends how they check. Something simple like unblock-us might work but you might need something a bit more complex like a VPN