The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Was down to Korn in Manchester on Wednesday. They did the debut album in full and tagged a few big hits at the end - Here To Stay, Falling Away from Me and Freak on a Leash. Was a bit disappointed there weren't a couple more tunes at the end. I was expecting Got the Life for example. It was also the first time I'd seen Korn outside of Glasgow and it was strange seeing Jonathan Davis not wearing a kilt. However despite being in Manchester I still ended up standing next to a couple of Weegies :P

Just picked up a ticket for Foo Fighters rescheduled gig at Murrayfield in September. Surprised I managed to get one, as I didn't have one for the original gig and thought they would have sold out again. I guess with it being later in the year, and not being able to reschedule holidays, some people wouldn't be able to go to the September gig.

ETA what's the best way to get to a gig at Murrayfield? I don't drive (taking my test three days after the gig!) and I know trains can be a pain in the hole.

Edited by IainMorton

ETA what's the best way to get to a gig at Murrayfield? I don't drive (taking my test three days after the gig!) and I know trains can be a pain in the hole.

I think we're planning to get the train to Haymarket and walk from there. I'm pretty sure there's also a Citylink bus that leaves from Glasgow and goes right by Murrayfield, but I've got no idea what number it is.

It's not the getting there I'm worried about, but the getting back home part! I see happybus.co.uk are doing £19 return (which probably isn't that much dearer than public transport these days!) from Buchanan Street straight to the stadium - may go for that as I don't fancy hanging about waiting for busses/trains afterwards.

The first one didn't sell out if memory serves me right. The standing did, but there was a few seating not long before it was rescheduled.

Yeah I meant standing tickets for this. TBH if I don't get a standing ticket for a gig like this, I would rather not go as seating isn't the same.

Edited by IainMorton

Ah well, don't need to worry about getting back any more as my work have refused my annual leave request for that day and the day after. :lol:

That's rotten :thumbsdown

Yon Lamb of God - Sturm und Drang is out, any one got it yet? First impressions are very good :thumsup2

It seems to be getting absolutely panned from the reviews I have read, mainly for the ungodly crime of developing your songwriting and dynamics. But for me it's utterly incredible...as close to a perfect album as I've heard in a long time.

My only criticism is the track with Chino (my favourite singer from my favourite band), just doesn't seem a natural fit...it sounds a bit forced as if they just wanted him on the record no matter what.

Journalists actually making a living from their opinions saying it's their worst effort yet as it's not brutal enough and they have lost their edge, have clearly lost their ears.

It seems to be getting absolutely panned from the reviews I have read, mainly for the ungodly crime of developing your songwriting and dynamics. But for me it's utterly incredible...as close to a perfect album as I've heard in a long time.

My only criticism is the track with Chino (my favourite singer from my favourite band), just doesn't seem a natural fit...it sounds a bit forced as if they just wanted him on the record no matter what.

Journalists actually making a living from their opinions saying it's their worst effort yet as it's not brutal enough and they have lost their edge, have clearly lost their ears.

I was taken back by Overlord (clean song) and Embers (Chino song) at first, but they are now 2 of my favorites on the album ....probably next to no chance of hearing them live though

Journos said the same sh*te about The Haunted when Dolving came back and brought out Revolver/The Dead Eye that because it wasn't "business as usual" that it was dross.

There's something about it, the sound of it, that this album should have been somewhere between Wrath and Resolution, if you know what I mean.

I just think there's something so....disappointing about metal journalism. It seems to only go one of two ways in that they are either having a major pop and bands like LOG or Killswitch for actually pushing the boundaries of what they do, and writing some really challenging stuff, and then on the other hand they are quite happy to push utterly generic bullshit like FFDP (sorry to anyone who likes them...I just find it copy/paste nonsense) or BVB (ditto).

It gives a real insight into the old tales about Metallica releasing Fade to Black etc and getting absolutely slaughtered for it...ignoring the fact that they were entering a phase of innovation that would change guitar music forever. If journalists had their way we'd have just had 47 different versions of "Whiplash".

Thank the Lord for Mark Morton I say.

Hey! I happen to like FFDP haha. Thought they were quite poor at Download though and they all seem like complete dicks.

Anyway. Strum und Drang. Absolutely solid, especially the first 6 tracks but feel like 3 tracks really let it down. Arthropoid, Delusion Pandemic and Torches are all totally forgettable for me. 7/10

If we include the bonus tracks then 8/12. Wine & Piss is pretty poor but Nightmare Seeker is pretty good.

Not sure how reliable this is, but someone over at the Download forums have said Ghost are playing Glasgow on 16th December - at the SECC?! Unsure if this will be the Hydro (doubt it) or one of the smaller halls in the Exhibition Centre. Also mentions 'The Lighthouse', which I have never heard of, the following night...

Will get a ticket for a gig anyway, Ghost are amazing! :D

Not sure how reliable this is, but someone over at the Download forums have said Ghost are playing Glasgow on 16th December - at the SECC?! Unsure if this will be the Hydro (doubt it) or one of the smaller halls in the Exhibition Centre. Also mentions 'The Lighthouse', which I have never heard of, the following night...

Will get a ticket for a gig anyway, Ghost are amazing! :D

Not my thing, but everyone seems to love them. Saw them at Sonisphere last year, they were alright I guess.