The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Metallica don't have to fight for anything, they are good at what they do and know it. They turn-up, play a set of their biggest tracks, use all the same predictable crowd interaction, finish the show and move on, headline status firmly in tact.

And bizkit are fun as f**k, not everything has to be heavy.

It's surely high time Metallica recorded a new album. Must be at least 6 years since DM. I would have thought they'd have been keen to get something out sharpish to erase the lingering nightmare that is Lulu.

Perhaps 2016 will be the year Metallica and Tool release new albums, the classic GnR line-up reforms and pigs fly.

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone checked out the new Slayer album? I quite enjoyed it. I know Slayer these days divides opinions amongst metal fans, for whatever reason (Kerry being a tit maybe?), but I've enjoyed everything they've put out thus far. Granted nothing they'll do will top the earlier classic releases but Repentless is a solid slab of typical modern sounding Slayer. Much better production this time round compared to World Painted Blood imo.

Anyone checked out the new Slayer album? I quite enjoyed it. I know Slayer these days divides opinions amongst metal fans, for whatever reason (Kerry being a tit maybe?), but I've enjoyed everything they've put out thus far. Granted nothing they'll do will top the earlier classic releases but Repentless is a solid slab of typical modern sounding Slayer. Much better production this time round compared to World Painted Blood imo.

I thought WPB was the best album since Seasons. Repentless (so far) is about a 7/10 for me. Solid sounding but lacked a bit of edge. Had heard Atrocity Vendor before the album came out but the album version is slightly different (and better!). When the Stillness Comes is a belter of a track

Huge Slayer fan. Have listened to some of Repentless but not the whole album yet. I've liked what I've heard so far though. Like you say 'a solid slab of modern sounding Slayer'.

Of the 'modern Slayer' albums (post 2000), God Hates Us All will take some beating for me. I listen to it as much as R.I.B, Seasons etc. Mental to think that GHUA is almost 15 years old though.

14 years old today, came out on 9/11 I believe. Tremendous album (GHUA) and one that holds a special place in my metal musical journey. Albeit I was heavily into metal by the time it came out that album was my first introduction to Slayer and it blew me away. Cover art and lyrics booklet is well done and has so many great tracks on it.

Know I'm about two weeks late to the discussion but seeing the talk about Metallica on the last page, I know that Reading was the televised one but I had a day ticket for Leeds, they were outstanding and the setlist was interesting enough. Though I was utterly devastated on knowing that they'd been playing Unforgiven II recently, hearing the horn and then just getting The Unforgiven. Meh.

Other than that the only real disappointment was having to leave Ghost early for Metallica - they were outstanding. Think I've already seen Ghost more than any other band, can't get enough of them and the new album is a grower.

A song from each of the three albums :) (for some reason, the third link won't change to a video...)

Had heard of them and seen their 'image' but had never actually heard their music. I was definitely not expecting such soft vocals or sound. Rather enjoyed they songs though, I'll have to give them a proper listen.