The Metalhead thread

Zizou-5

Just wanted to ask you guys a question that my and my friend were arguing.

What do you think is a bigger draw- The big 4's first ever UK show or System reforming?

Personally I think its laughable comparing the two Big 4 every time, however thats not to say I dont love system cause I do

So what do youse think? Big 4 or System?

I mentioned it in the festival discussion thread. The Big Four is a bigger draw than SOAD, but if Download book three other bands of relative size. Then I'd probably go download.

Having seen neither, I would be more inclined to go to a SOAD gig than a Metallica gig. I've also seen Megadeth twice(one gig, one festival) and I'm not familiar with Anthrax's work. So Slayer would be the only other one I'd want to see.

If Download has System of A Down, Soundgarden/Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and someone else then I would rather go to Download.

I mentioned it in the festival discussion thread. The Big Four is a bigger draw than SOAD, but if Download book three other bands of relative size. Then I'd probably go download.

Having seen neither, I would be more inclined to go to a SOAD gig than a Metallica gig. I've also seen Megadeth twice(one gig, one festival) and I'm not familiar with Anthrax's work. So Slayer would be the only other one I'd want to see.

If Download has System of A Down, Soundgarden/Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains and someone else then I would rather go to Download.

I think the big 4 are obviously a bigger crowd drawer than SOAD? That said, I would rather go to Download. Not for SOAD because i'm not that keen on them tbh. But you can't beat the festival banter! That outweigh's going to see bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer etc which is normally a place for people in denim patch jackets to get together and scream "SLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!" in your face. Suppose Fests have that too. But on a smaller scale than an actual Slayer/maiden/ megadeth gigs laugh.gif Man, I detest patch jackets.

On the face of it the Big 4 are easily the bigger draw. Few things to consider though. Metallica only headlined Soni two years ago, off the back of a UK tour. Anthrax and Slayer both played Soni last year, Megadeth played it two years ago and were at Download last year. While packaging it as the Big Four does nullify the repetition and is a massive thing, people who are regular festival and gig goers will have seen some of these bands recently. SOAD haven't played any shows since 2005.

That's why I'll be at Download despite loving the idea of seeing the Big Four together: I've seen them all apart from Slayer already, and while all apart from Slayer are among my favourite bands, so are SOAD and this is my chance to see them.

I think the big 4 are obviously a bigger crowd drawer than SOAD? That said, I would rather go to Download. Not for SOAD because i'm not that keen on them tbh. But you can't beat the festival banter! That outweigh's going to see bands like Iron Maiden, Slayer etc which is normally a place for people in denim patch jackets to get together and scream "SLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYERRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!" in your face. Suppose Fests have that too. But on a smaller scale than an actual Slayer/maiden/ megadeth gigs laugh.gif Man, I detest patch jackets.

Are you serious?

Are you serious?

Yes? Which part of my post are you referring to in particular? The big 4 being a bigger crowd puller than SOAD? Or preferring festivals over going to the SECC to see Slayer and having a guy with a denim jacket with a bullet for my valentine patch sewn onto it scream Slayer in my face?

Yes? Which part of my post are you referring to in particular? The big 4 being a bigger crowd puller than SOAD? Or preferring festivals over going to the SECC to see Slayer and having a guy with a denim jacket with a bullet for my valentine patch sewn onto it scream Slayer in my face?

No, the Big Four is a bigger draw than SOAD, but that's four bands compared to one. SOAD, imo, will draw a bigger crowd than just Metallica.

The Big Four are playing Sonisphere. You still get the "festival banter" at other festivals.

The last bit is just laughable.

No, the Big Four is a bigger draw than SOAD, but that's four bands compared to one. SOAD, imo, will draw a bigger crowd than just Metallica.

I'm really not sure I agree with that. And I don't hold any preference to either band. I mean, SOAD were only really on the scene for like 4 years? With 4 mediocre albums imo. Obviously the only reason they're getting a headline slot is because they've reunited. Had they still been plodding along for the last 5 years i don't think they would be in that position. That's just my opinion because I didn't grow up listening to them. Perhaps others would disagree. I'm also aware that Metallica haven't exactly been tearing up the scene with genius albums the last couple of decades either, but they'll always have huge crowds because they're Metallica.

The Big Four are playing Sonisphere. You still get the "festival banter" at other festivals.

Aye that's my bad. probably poorly worded on my part. I didn't mean Download was the only good festival.

The last bit is just laughable.

In what way? Are you also one of these people who follows the "Heavy Metal Handbook" and think you're only truely metal if you wear patch jackets, pour beer over your head and scream Slayer and Metallica whilst playing an air guitar?

I'm really not sure I agree with that. And I don't hold any preference to either band. I mean, SOAD were only really on the scene for like 4 years? With 4 mediocre albums imo. Obviously the only reason they're getting a headline slot is because they've reunited. Had they still been plodding along for the last 5 years i don't think they would be in that position. That's just my opinion because I didn't grow up listening to them. Perhaps others would disagree. I'm also aware that Metallica haven't exactly been tearing up the scene with genius albums the last couple of decades either, but they'll always have huge crowds because they're Metallica.

I'd say that at the moment System of a Down are the bigger draw because they have been on a hiatus, whereas Metallica have been relentlessly touring recently.

Four mediocre albums? Certainly not to a LOT of metal fans. Toxicity is widely regarded as one of the great modern metal albums, the self-titled debut was very well recieved and Mezmerize also got some stunning reviews. Whether you thought the albums were good or not, it's clear that shitloads of people thought they WERE good.

Lets not forget that they headlined Download on the back of their last album and also sold out the SECC. They're not just headlining because they're a re-united band. They're headlining because they're big. The fact that they were on a hiatus just means they're an even bigger draw. I'd imagine when normal service resumes, Metallica will be the bigger draw.

I'd say that at the moment System of a Down are the bigger draw because they have been on a hiatus, whereas Metallica have been relentlessly touring recently.

Four mediocre albums? Certainly not to a LOT of metal fans. Toxicity is widely regarded as one of the great modern metal albums, the self-titled debut was very well recieved and Mezmerize also got some stunning reviews. Whether you thought the albums were good or not, it's clear that shitloads of people thought they WERE good.

Lets not forget that they headlined Download on the back of their last album and also sold out the SECC. They're not just headlining because they're a re-united band. They're headlining because they're big. The fact that they were on a hiatus just means they're an even bigger draw. I'd imagine when normal service resumes, Metallica will be the bigger draw.

What point are you trying to make here? I'm confused. Are you telling me i'm wrong for not liking SOAD's albums because they got good reviews in Kerrang and Metal Hammer? I'm aware they have fan base. I didn't say otherwise.

As far as download goes, surely what it comes down to is that they headlined last time at the height of their fame and this time because they've re-united? All i'm saying is had they kept going the last 5 years or whatever I don't think that would be the case. Again, that's just my opinion! :ph34r: I'm sure other people (a LOT of other people) like yourself disagree. I'm also sure however that a lot of people would also agree with me. Want to just agree to disagree to make this easier?

What point are you trying to make here? I'm confused. Are you telling me i'm wrong for not liking SOAD's albums because they got good reviews in Kerrang and Metal Hammer? I'm aware they have fan base. I didn't say otherwise.

You were including the quality of the albums in an arguement about how much of a draw they are, so I was assuming that you thought the quality of their albums would have some sort of point. It didn't so it was just meaningless drivel, but I didn't know that.

As far as download goes, surely what it comes down to is that they headlined last time at the height of their fame and this time because they've re-united?

The "height" of their fame came from post-Toxicity to their split, which was a good bit of time. SOAD are now a big band.

All i'm saying is had they kept going the last 5 years or whatever I don't think that would be the case. Again, that's just my opinion!

I'd agree that they wouldn't be a bigger draw than Metallica, but they'd still be a headline act.

I'm sure other people (a LOT of other people) like yourself disagree. I'm also sure however that a lot of people would also agree with me. Want to just agree to disagree to make this easier?

I only ever do that when I'm going round in circles. I'll see where we go from here. :P

In what way? Are you also one of these people who follows the "Heavy Metal Handbook" and think you're only truely metal if you wear patch jackets, pour beer over your head and scream Slayer and Metallica whilst playing an air guitar?

The re-union of a massive band is a big draw. The general consensus is that SOAD haven't released a bad album. "Plodding along". How can you say something like that when they've never stopped gaining popularity. Even if you don't like them you can't deny that they're a massive draw, like my opinion on AC/DC.

No, I'm not. Mostly because I'm also a massive fan of punk and grunge as well as metal. But I've been to enough metal gig to know that you're taking a stereotype, maybe from the 80s or 90s, since I've never seen anyone do those thing. Only seen people with patch jackets, but I don't see a problem with that. I don't like it looks particularly good but there's a few people who could argue that about my dress-sense!

As far as download goes, surely what it comes down to is that they headlined last time at the height of their fame and this time because they've re-united? All i'm saying is had they kept going the last 5 years or whatever I don't think that would be the case. Again, that's just my opinion! :ph34r: I'm sure other people (a LOT of other people) like yourself disagree. I'm also sure however that a lot of people would also agree with me. Want to just agree to disagree to make this easier?

You're not wrong for not liking them, that would be wrong to suggest, but you're wrong for not realising how big they are. I don't like Take That but I can see why they're playing the SECC.

The re-union of a massive band is a big draw. The general consensus is that SOAD haven't released a bad album. "Plodding along". How can you say something like that when they've never stopped gaining popularity. Even if you don't like them you can't deny that they're a massive draw, like my opinion on AC/DC.

I guess I missed the boat then, I really didn't think SOAD were that huge. But I stand corrected.

No, I'm not. Mostly because I'm also a massive fan of punk and grunge as well as metal. But I've been to enough metal gig to know that you're taking a stereotype, maybe from the 80s or 90s, since I've never seen anyone do those thing. Only seen people with patch jackets, but I don't see a problem with that. I don't like it looks particularly good but there's a few people who could argue that about my dress-sense!

Have you never been to a slayer gig? I don't mean that this happens at every metal gig going. But it seems to be notorius at Slayer/ Maiden gigs in particular from my personal experience. I thought it was well known that this happens? And I don't just mean at U.K shows, I've come across it in Europe too. It's not a sterotype/ fabrication of my mind I swear! :lol: I'm also a big punk/ grunge fan. What we talking here? Alice In Chains? The Misfits?

You're not wrong for not liking them, that would be wrong to suggest, but you're wrong for not realising how big they are. I don't like Take That but I can see why they're playing the SECC.

I honestly didn't know people gave that much of a shit. I just thought they were as popular as a "big" metal band like Korn? A kind of throw away headliner? But if we're talking AC/DC here then I stand corrected. They seem to have done a lot in the short time they were around. I do see what would be appealing about them, it's just not my cup of tea.

But it seems to be notorius at Slayer/ Maiden gigs in particular from my personal experience.

When I went to see Iron Maiden, it wasn't really that evident.

SOAD are not on the level of AC/DC, but in the world of hard rock and metal, nobody is. I'd say they're more on the level of the likes of Linkin Park and Slipknot when they're back on a regular basis.

I guess I missed the boat then, I really didn't think SOAD were that huge. But I stand corrected.

Have you never been to a slayer gig? I don't mean that this happens at every metal gig going. But it seems to be notorius at Slayer/ Maiden gigs in particular from my personal experience. I thought it was well known that this happens? And I don't just mean at U.K shows, I've come across it in Europe too. It's not a sterotype/ fabrication of my mind I swear! :lol: I'm also a big punk/ grunge fan. What we talking here? Alice In Chains? The Misfits?

I honestly didn't know people gave that much of a shit. I just thought they were as popular as a "big" metal band like Korn? A kind of throw away headliner? But if we're talking AC/DC here then I stand corrected. They seem to have done a lot in the short time they were around. I do see what would be appealing about them, it's just not my cup of tea.

I've seen Maiden and Megadeth twice and have never come across anyone scream something like that or pour beer over them.

Grunge would be like Alice in Chains, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, Screaming Trees, L7, Mudhoney. Punk would be early Offspring and Green Day, Bad Religion, Rancid, NOFX, Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, Pennywise, Me First etc.

Much bigger than Korn, who are only second headliners these days. No I meant that you should at least have my feelings on AC/DC for SOAD, might not like them but recognise their success.