The Falkirk FC Thread

Fair play to Houston for dropping rankin Muirhead Watson etc in one game today took balls and just about paid off.

Taiwo kerr together and baird mchugh together still never works. Sibbald and hippo were good today.

Attendance of 4311 was very good given our poor start to the season and they were very patient with the team where I was sat behind Houston

11 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Bloody good CM. Played on the right as we are weak as shit down that side. Add to that the fact he won't want to drop Kerr or Rankin for any length of time.

Rankin didn't play yesterday. Whilst I like Rankin overall it should be him or Kerr in midfield, not both. And Kerr is better Imo 

Yesterday was all about result & points for me. Good performances & points will come I hope. Think Craigen has done enough to earn a start for a few games at least. Hippo was good at times yesterday but think there so much more to come from him. Far too early I accept to judge a player but I have been far from impressed with Kidd. Looked uncomfortable with ball at his feet & terrified at the prospect of crossing the halfway line. The least said about his haircut the better. Great save from Rodgers but needs to shake of his early season jitters. A bit fumbly so far. Lee Miller since signing has rarely put a foot wrong. Another who deserves to start for me.

Good to finally get a win in the league yesterday. Hopefully this will kick us on.

Can't help feeling already this season is another opportunity missed we will challenge for 4th when we should really be kicking on. Okay Hibs will win this league I'm sure but we could have been challenging them, we are not.

The key difference between the two is recruitment. They lost Stokes and Henderson and have replaced them with Holt and Shinnie. Direct replacements. When we lost Vaulks and Alston, we replaced them with Craigen and Rankin. Two totally different players who we (or the management team) expect to make the same impact and for the team to play in the same way when clearly it won't.

We have so many players playing out of position as well. Rather than using the players that are already there and have been recruited, they're shoved into a 4-4-2. In recent weeks we've tried various shapes but without looking like the players know what they're doing.

The signings of mid table players like Craigen, Gasperotto and Kidd haven't had the immediate impact we've been looking for so far, but are we too expectant? These guys were average players for mid table teams, with the exception of Luca.

Houston's recruitment since he's been here has been more 'miss' rather than 'hit' but I'm hopeful he can turn this around. Maybe with Grant back in things will improve although we shouldn't be so reliant on one player to make it better.

Hopefully Houston still has the receipt for Rankin and can take him back within the 30 day cutoff and sign a decent right side player. Total waste of a decent wage. How can you sign someone to replace your captain and then not even give him a game. Certainly would never have seen Vaulks left on the bench. Hopefully Houston has some answers for that move tomorrow night.

14 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Hopefully Houston still has the receipt for Rankin and can take him back within the 30 day cutoff and sign a decent right side player. Total waste of a decent wage. How can you sign someone to replace your captain and then not even give him a game. Certainly would never have seen Vaulks left on the bench. Hopefully Houston has some answers for that move tomorrow night.

Much cheapness

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Housty has a squad, they cant all play. Demanding answers as to why Rankin was on the bench would be a waste of everyones time. No issue whatsoever with that move. Nor would I if Rankin started in place of Kerr, or Taiwo in the middle in place of either. Thats the potential upside of having all these midfielders.

Regardless, if we endeavour to keep Sibbs central and get SOMEONE upfront scoring their fair share, we will be in the hunt for second again. Those things arent a big ask. We have the players for it. I am not happy about the right side of the team but Kidd in the second half done ok for me specially once Craigen came on. Certainly not seeing the negatives others seem to be. He is undoubtedly better going forward than Muirhead is.

Fully expect another 3 points against Ayr next time out and hopefully then we can kick on to a solid run.

No but if your replacing someone as good as Vaulks the replacement should be good enough to play week in week out. The fact that kerrs playing in front of him means he's not added anything to our first 11 and emphasises the fact that he should never have been signed when we had needs in other areas like the right side of midfield. Still a crazy unneeded signing.

The picture Falkirk tweeted yesterday of that couple pre-hot-tub was sensational. The lassie looked furious. Hope she perked up a bit.

Can anyone remember who the Falkirk player was that featured in an advert a couple of years back for hoovers?

I seem to recall the ad looked like he was vacuuming the pitch, which didn't make a lick of sense.

Are we still talking about Rankin being a direct replacement for Vaulks?

He was never a direct replacement as they are 2 very different players.

You could argue that if we only had Vaulks wages to use then the sensible option would have been to buy a similar player.

Houstie obviously realised that would be impossible for £500 a week and signed Rankin believing he would add something to the squad.

We have a big squad this season, you only need to look at the bench and also those left out the squad of 18.

3 hours ago, RC55 FFC said:

You could argue that if we only had Vaulks wages to use then the sensible option would have been to buy a similar player.

Houstie obviously realised that would be impossible for £500 a week and signed Rankin believing he would add something to the squad.

We have a big squad this season, you only need to look at the bench and also those left out the squad of 18.

He was never going to add anything to a squad with midgets like  Kerr and Taiwo already in it.

In squad terms he's his replacement as it's his wages he's getting paid every week. Obviously in playing terms he's nowhere near the player Vaulks was and is only going to go one way at his age. Everything about signing him on asks why?????

Perhapsthey'll surprise us and sign a decent right winger before this week's deadline to give us a chance this season but I won't hold my breath.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

For certain games where we need a physical presence in the middle of the park I wouldn't be adverse to sticking Muirhead in there..even coming on a sub.Bit of height and strength. Think one of his first games for us was semi final versus  Hibs and came on and done that role pretty effectively. Maybe some games this season where that is required. 

Nobody should be comparing them. Unless, Rankin is being played in the exact same position and without any other change in the team, is left attempting to do what Vaulks used to. Not Rankin's fault he's not the same player as Will. The management playing him there, well that's a different story.