The Falkirk FC Thread

17 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

As you say though it could be a step too far if it means a specific number of players to maintain though. Would be good to hear more detail on it anyway. 

12 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Presumably there will be a cost impact in terms of additional coaches etc as well as a bigger playing squad.

Imo the under 18 and under 16 sides are the right balance for league 1.

If you haven't listened already it's covered in the Falkirk FC podcast with KJ and KG from a few months ago.

Listened back today and it's quite interesting now that we know it's another season of L1 we'll look forward to and what the implications outlined then would be if that were the case.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It needn't be though.

We are capable of having more agency than that.  The problem comes from there somehow being kudos attached to declaring your victimhood.

In the words of our resident Morton fan that is absolute word salad.

With McGlynn almost certainly staying, it’s probably worth thinking about contracts for next season. Of those out of contract, I’d  keep the below:

McGuffie- punt. Capable of the occasional worldie but doesn’t offer anywhere near enough over a season.

Watson- punt. I wasn’t a huge fan last time he was here and he will be on big wages.

Oliver- punt. He has done better than I expected this season especially linking play but doesn’t offer enough goal threat for me.

Morrison and Kinnear- punt both. Not good enough.

McGinn- I’d keep for another season provided the wage demands are reasonable.

Burrell- Keep. I don’t think he’s as good as some claim but still think he’s a good option to have (not as our main striker).

Lawal- Keep. Not the finished article but got potential imo.

I would also look to keep Max, Rowe and Kennedy but think that is unlikely.

36 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Don’t disagree but I’m just not sure it’s something we can or should be devoting resources to at the moment. Presumably there will be a cost impact in terms of additional coaches etc as well as a bigger playing squad.

Imo the under 18 and under 16 sides are the right balance for league 1.

It should also make us more attractive to youngsters we're trying to bring into the academy as there will be a clear pathway into the first team.

9 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

With McGlynn almost certainly staying, it’s probably worth thinking about contracts for next season. Of those out of contract, I’d  keep the below:

McGuffie- punt. Capable of the occasional worldie but doesn’t offer anywhere near enough over a season.

Watson- punt. I wasn’t a huge fan last time he was here and he will be on big wages.

Oliver- punt. He has done better than I expected this season especially linking play but doesn’t offer enough goal threat for me.

Morrison and Kinnear- punt both. Not good enough.

McGinn- I’d keep for another season provided the wage demands are reasonable.

Burrell- Keep. I don’t think he’s as good as some claim but still think he’s a good option to have (not as our main striker).

Lawal- Keep. Not the finished article but got potential imo.

I would also look to keep Max, Rowe and Kennedy but think that is unlikely.

Oliver's a stick on to be here next year, he's not terrible but there's far better options out there as he very rarely changes a game in your favour.

Jamie Macdonald or Brian Kinnear signing on for next season fills me with fear. 

Signings this summer are crucial as we need to be signing players who have the quality to start games for us.

1 hour ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Not sure what the cost implications are but personally I would look to postpone the reserve team and expansion of the youth sides until we’re back in the championship.

I would focus on the existing under 18 and under 16 sides. Anything more is an extravagance we cannot afford at this level in my view. 

It will be c. 14 games in total next year. Made up of modern apprentices, u 18 players and non playing/recovering first team squad players. The cost isn’t going to be significant. 

15 minutes ago, Roboccop said:

It will be c. 14 games in total next year. Made up of modern apprentices, u 18 players and non playing/recovering first team squad players. The cost isn’t going to be significant. 

I also think having a functioning reserve side in a league will aid the first team, the manager can use it to keep fringe players fit / try players in different positions ect. It also gives guys not playing a chance to prove they’re worth over and above the obvious benefits to progress the apprentices and academy players. I can’t see how the level of cost is going to be so significant it’ll effect the first team budget in any meaningful way, it’s not like we are going to be bringing in additional players or coaches to facilitate it, it’ll be made up of players who are already at the club between the 16’s 18’s and first team. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

I reckon when we get the squad announcement it won't be far off the below. Wouldn't mind Mckay & Oliver moving on but that's most likely not going to happen. 

Defenders
Coll Donaldson
Brad Mckay
Sean Mackie
Leon Mccann

Midfielders
Stephen McGinn
Liam Henderson
Ola Lawal
Aidan Nesbitt
Finn Yeats
Callumn Morrison

Strikers
Jordan Allan
Alfredo Agyeman
Gary Oliver

New
New Donaldson New Mccann
McGinn/Henderson
Morrison New/Lawal Agyeman
Allan New

Need far more pace, energy and fight in the team next season. 

57 minutes ago, Tea and Busquets said:

Maybe yes, but not for me. I hate Saturday’s without watching Falkirk. Great social aspect too which was the key thing last season under Sheerin and Rennie. 

Fair enough.

I suppose we all get things out of it, or we wouldn't bother.  

I do think we can be suckers that are taken advantage of though, because we keep wanting to spend money on something, even when doing so lapses into the irrational.

FWIW, it's worth, I do think the season ticket thing is unnecessary at our level. I don't know why so many do it that way.  I think it does enable the custom to be taken for granted.  I'd rather keep them on their toes.

I don't see lawal staying. Not because he doesn't have the talent more so because McGlynn is a stubborn p***k and wouldn't know a decent player if it bit him on the arse. He'd much rather give new deals to his failures like Oliver. I also think Morrison will get sold. I honestly cannot stomach another season with McGlynn in charge but it doesn't look like he's getting binned. 

28 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I reckon when we get the squad announcement it won't be far off the below. Wouldn't mind Mckay & Oliver moving on but that's most likely not going to happen. 

Defenders
Coll Donaldson
Brad Mckay
Sean Mackie
Leon Mccann

Midfielders
Stephen McGinn
Liam Henderson
Ola Lawal
Aidan Nesbitt
Finn Yeats
Callumn Morrison

Strikers
Jordan Allan
Alfredo Agyeman
Gary Oliver

New
New Donaldson New Mccann
McGinn/Henderson
Morrison New/Lawal Agyeman
Allan New

Need far more pace, energy and fight in the team next season. 

Finding a serviceable striker at this level is an age-old question but who do you think we approach to play in alongside Allan? I’d like to keep Burrell but think he’s as good as gone, wouldn’t blame him

9 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Fair enough.

I suppose we all get things out of it, or we wouldn't bother.  

I do think we can be suckers that are taken advantage of though, because we keep wanting to spend money on something, even when doing so lapses into the irrational.

FWIW, it's worth, I do think the season ticket thing is unnecessary at our level. I don't know why so many do it that way.  I think it does enable the custom to be taken for granted.  I'd rather keep them on their toes.

I get both your points. I’ve been a season ticket holder for most of the last 20 years and seen a wee bit of great stuff and hell of a lot of shite. 

The only reason I would, and indeed the only reason I ever have, given up my season ticket, was dissatisfaction at board level. After the covid season capitulation, we had a completely out of touch and long maligned board appointing a completely unqualified Gary Holt as Sporting Director and giving him free rein on transfers, until they appointed a yes man youth coach in Sheerin, who you could tell was going to be a dud before it even started. I wrote to Deans and said I wouldn’t be back until he and Holt were gone. 

With the Sheerin experiment, Holt’s general presence and decision-making around the club, and of course things like the Q&A, I believe my decision was vindicated. ‘Lucky’ for me, it was only one season I missed and I went back this season and I’ll 95% likely renew this year again. I do want the club apologising for the last week and an explanation on the the arse completely falling out of this season, but as others have said, I think a statement of some form will come. 

32 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

I also think having a functioning reserve side in a league will aid the first team, the manager can use it to keep fringe players fit / try players in different positions ect. It also gives guys not playing a chance to prove they’re worth over and above the obvious benefits to progress the apprentices and academy players. I can’t see how the level of cost is going to be so significant it’ll effect the first team budget in any meaningful way, it’s not like we are going to be bringing in additional players or coaches to facilitate it, it’ll be made up of players who are already at the club between the 16’s 18’s and first team. 

Can only agree here, a reserve side in the past offered a good route for the youth to break into the first team while getting a taste of what it’s like to come up against senior competition. Can’t see why it would be a bad thing, especially since the players we’ve got in the 18’s aren’t really getting a look in unless we have situations like Peterhead a couple of weeks ago.

2 minutes ago, 18BAIRN76 said:

I get both your points. I’ve been a season ticket holder for most of the last 20 years and seen a wee bit of great stuff and hell of a lot of shite. 

The only reason I would, and indeed the only reason I ever have, given up my season ticket, was dissatisfaction at board level. After the covid season capitulation, we had a completely out of touch and long maligned board appointing a completely unqualified Gary Holt as Sporting Director and giving him free rein on transfers, until they appointed a yes man youth coach in Sheerin, who you could tell was going to be a dud before it even started. I wrote to Deans and said I wouldn’t be back until he and Holt were gone. 

With the Sheerin experiment, Holt’s general presence and decision-making around the club, and of course things like the Q&A, I believe my decision was vindicated. ‘Lucky’ for me, it was only one season I missed and I went back this season and I’ll 95% likely renew this year again. I do want the club apologising for the last week and an explanation on the the arse completely falling out of this season, but as others have said, I think a statement of some form will come. 

Why a season ticket though?

Why not just start going again when it suits you?

33 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

Finding a serviceable striker at this level is an age-old question but who do you think we approach to play in alongside Allan? I’d like to keep Burrell but think he’s as good as gone, wouldn’t blame him

Wouldn't mind Burrell staying but equally I don't think he'd be a massive loss he's not looked interested in far too many games this season.

Tommy Goss, also wouldn't mind Euan Henderson as an option but we need someone like Alegria up there to play with Allan, a powerful presence that's going to bully the centre backs and has a chance of getting on the end of one of our 400 crosses a game.

Edited by FFC 1876

11 minutes ago, HopeStreetCadette said:

I think Burrell will be away aswell. If Airdrie don't go up (which I don't see happening) then I'd absolutely be looking at Gallagher or at least ask the question. We have got to aim a bit higher in terms of quality of who we bring in. I just don't trust McGlynn to do it. 

1 hour ago, Blame Me said:

If you haven't listened already it's covered in the Falkirk FC podcast with KJ and KG from a few months ago.

Listened back today and it's quite interesting now that we know it's another season of L1 we'll look forward to and what the implications outlined then would be if that were the case.

So listened to the podcast with Keith and Kenny. Said the step up for the development/reserve team will have to come from the football budget which includes kit, matches, travel etc. 

We be good to know how much it will actually cost as it will be the fans that have to dig deeper to pay for it. In a perfect world it could generate money if we can persuade more fans to attend these matches but even in the SPL days attendances for these matches we’re pretty poor with minimal gate prices.