The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

Last year we finished the season with thirty signed players, albeit the three young lads were on amateur contracts and we had one apprentice. Six were out on loan and unwanted as five were released at the end of the year. 

I think it's a given that the squad size will be smaller next year. Probably around 20 not including the apprentices. 

Given the amount of loans you can have I think it'll be more than a squad of 20.

If PJ, McGinn and Oliver have all resigned then we're already on a squad of 14 and assuming none of those players are moved on you still need a GK, RB, CB, CMx2, wingerx2 and a striker.

Goalkeeper
PJ Morrison*

Defender
Coll Donaldson
Liam Henderson
Leon Mccann
Sean Mackie
Brad Mckay

Midfielder
Stephen McGinn*
Finn Yeats
Aidan Nesbitt
Ola Lawal
Callumn Morrison

Striker
Alfredo Agyeman
Jordan Allan
Gary Oliver*

Edited by FFC 1876

1 hour ago, Otis Blue said:

I doubt that the quality of opponents is the deciding factor when a player is deciding whether to sign or not.  First will be the wages on offer. The convenience of training location comes in to it too. But also the likelihood of getting game time - a player in the league above who is struggling to command a starting place and is often on the bench might think he's a better chance of starting in the league below (with more chance of any win bonuses etc).

We have been paying the best wages and paying over-the-top season after season for underperformers from the division above us and see where it got us.

Would rather have 5-7 young hungry players stepping up a standard going full time and bursting a gut on the pitch than  2-3 jobbers picking up a wage packet and we know all about them and how they conned a wage packet.

Our recruitment has been crap for years what I suggested is a new direction.

10 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

Given the amount of loans you can have I think it'll be more than a squad of 20.

If PJ, McGinn and Oliver have all resigned then we're already on a squad of 14 and assuming none of those players are moved on you still need a GK, RB, CB, CMx2, wingerx2 and a striker.

Goalkeeper
PJ Morrison*

Defender
Coll Donaldson
Liam Henderson
Leon Mccann
Sean Mackie
Brad Mckay

Midfielder
Stephen McGinn*
Finn Yeats
Aidan Nesbitt
Ola Lawal
Callumn Morrison

Striker
Alfredo Agyeman
Jordan Allan
Gary Oliver*

Can’t see PJ being kept TBH 

2 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Very few from the division below in the 18-23 age bracket.

Look at the teams in our division next season and you see why not one quality player in the division above will want to join us

If they are paid enough they will come just like any of our players - they would go for more cash. 

Edited by Back Post Misses

3 minutes ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

We have been paying the best wages and paying over-the-top season after season for underperformers from the division above us and see where it got us.

Would rather have 5-7 young hungry players stepping up a standard going full time and bursting a gut on the pitch than  2-3 jobbers picking up a wage packet and we know all about them and how they conned a wage packet.

Our recruitment has been crap for years what I suggested is a new direction.

Like most things in life, the ideal solutions tend not to be entirely black or white but instead shades of grey somewhere in the middle.  At this level I think you need a core of hard-won experience then add into that a mix of exciting, pacy young developing talent.  But that's the easy bit.  Fundamentally, you also need a manager/coach who is sufficiently competent to be able to spot the right players to fit his preferred formation so that the squad is adequately balanced.  Getting all of those ducks in a row is fecking difficult though.

5 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

Like most things in life, the ideal solutions tend not to be entirely black or white but instead shades of grey somewhere in the middle.  At this level I think you need a core of hard-won experience then add into that a mix of exciting, pacy young developing talent.  But that's the easy bit.  Fundamentally, you also need a manager/coach who is sufficiently competent to be able to spot the right players to fit his preferred formation so that the squad is adequately balanced.  Getting all of those ducks in a row is fecking difficult though.

Think you’ve got to look at Partick, going sideways and outside the playoffs. Sack McCall with nine games remaining and they’re 90 minutes off the top league. 

1 minute ago, Springfield said:

Think you’ve got to look at Partick, going sideways and outside the playoffs. Sack McCall with nine games remaining and they’re 90 minutes off the top league. 

Absolutely.  A top performing team relies on many factors, not just the right players.  It's pretty clear that the Jags players are 100% behind Doolan at the moment, and that Doolan knows what he's doing - amazing what can be achieved when everyone in a team (I use the word "team" in its widest sense) is pulling in the same direction.  There's many parts to the jigsaw - it's not as simple as just find the right group of talented youngsters ... and it's a bloody hard jigsaw to solve as most fans at our level know only too well.

10 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Think like ICT it is more about injuries clearing up TBH. 

4 hours ago, glasgow_bairn said:

I'm currently doing another illustration of another part of Brockville and I was wondering if anyone can remember what colour the AstroTurf type material was that they used to have leading up to the two steps leaving the tunnel on to pitch? Was it green? I have some weird recollection of it being a weird orange/red (which I believe I have entirely made up).

Secondly, where did the gate at the new stadium come from? Again I have absolutely no memory of seeing it at Brockville.

IMG_5826.jpeg.1fe18eeb7cbe76b17003a9a971ecf319.jpeg

3 hours ago, HopeStreetWalker said:

Very few from the division below in the 18-23 age bracket.

Look at the teams in our division next season and you see why not one quality player in the division above will want to join us

Players will want to join us if we are offering them better wages.

Their mortgage issuers, supermarkets and utility companies don’t care who they are playing against on a Saturday.

21 minutes ago, Reggie Perrin said:

Players will want to join us if we are offering them better wages.

Their mortgage issuers, supermarkets and utility companies don’t care who they are playing against on a Saturday.

That’s not entirely true.  A lot of players will care about the level of football and a number of factors before landing on their choice.  At the level you’re operating on, there are several clubs who will be able to get close to the wage you offer but at a higher level.  Full time in league 1 is a really tough place to be in to get talent.  McPake has spoken about how many players he had in mind to join but simply couldn’t get them to play in League 1.  Suspect similar issues for you guys.  

Plus, as was always the danger with you staying down, is the continued negativity around the “Falkirk brand”.  You’re a joke club right now, which will further harm your chances of signing the better players.  Without a strong start to the season, McGlynn won’t see November, and what player wants to take the chance of being an unwanted squad player in league 1, without the guy who signed you in the first place? 

The market for full time players at an underperforming club in the Third tier of Scottish football is a small tough one.  Whoever is in charge of your recruitment really needs to get it right….

2 minutes ago, parsboi said:

That’s not entirely true.  A lot of players will care about the level of football and a number of factors before landing on their choice.  At the level you’re operating on, there are several clubs who will be able to get close to the wage you offer but at a higher level.  Full time in league 1 is a really tough place to be in to get talent.  McPake has spoken about how many players he had in mind to join but simply couldn’t get them to play in League 1.  Suspect similar issues for you guys.  

Plus, as was always the danger with you staying down, is the continued negativity around the “Falkirk brand”.  You’re a joke club right now, which will further harm your chances of signing the better players.  Without a strong start to the season, McGlynn won’t see November, and what player wants to take the chance of being an unwanted squad player in league 1, without the guy who signed you in the first place? 

The market for full time players at an underperforming club in the Third tier of Scottish football is a small tough one.  Whoever is in charge of your recruitment really needs to get it right….

You're just describing the football transfer market but trying to spin the whole thing as somehow unique to Falkirk. 

Literally every manager in the world can be bagged by November. 

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

You're just describing the football transfer market but trying to spin the whole thing as somehow unique to Falkirk. 

Literally every manager in the world can be bagged by November. 

It’s not unique to Falkirk, but Falkirk are in a unique situation.  It would be deliberately obtuse to argue otherwise.

The poster I quoted was arguing that players will join if you offer better wages.  My point is it isn’t that simple as we’ve just found, and much more comes into play.  Only 3 permanent signings came into us.  You lot go through a whole bunch of players every season it seems.  

My point about the manager is that from my view, his stock is very low with your support, won’t take much to become untenable.  

1 minute ago, parsboi said:

It’s not unique to Falkirk, but Falkirk are in a unique situation.  It would be deliberately obtuse to argue otherwise.

The poster I quoted was arguing that players will join if you offer better wages.  My point is it isn’t that simple as we’ve just found, and much more comes into play.  Only 3 permanent signings came into us.  You lot go through a whole bunch of players every season it seems.  

My point about the manager is that from my view, his stock is very low with your support, won’t take much to become untenable.  

His stock is very low on P&B. I don't think it's very low overall. I think the players will get it long before McGlynn does from the fans. 

19 minutes ago, parsboi said:

Players wages at this level are pretty modest (as they should be), bills of all sorts are going up substantially, I would argue that the cash on offer will be increasingly the deciding factor in where a player ends up.

Guest Ecosse83
11 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

His stock is very low on P&B. I don't think it's very low overall. I think the players will get it long before McGlynn does from the fans. 

I actually think Mcglynn will get it first before the players if we start poorly, any goodwill he had evaporated after the Airdrie game!