The Falkirk FC Thread

40 minutes ago, GMBairn said:

I thought we were pretty good yesterday, started the first 20 minutes well with much more directness in our playand then got a bit slow but i think we need to remember as a crowd that teams are going to come and sit in like that, to frustrate us and we should be a bit more supportive of the team or direct our frustration at the opponents.

They wanted a bad atmosphere, 10 men behind the ball, time wasting right from the start of the game and that's got half our crowd shouting at our own team.

Second half we were better again, got a good goal and they couldn't keep that up any longer and we battered them. 

I think Donaldson deserves credit yesterday, he was getting stick for not moving the ball quicker up the park, for not charging up with it but I think he does ok at that for a centre half who shouldn't have to do it, that's Spencer's job now so he's got to take control of that.

Credit you nesbitt as well who showed why he got the new contract when he came on, good balls in behind making us more threatening again and got a goal.

Fully agree with all of this. Donaldson was excellent yesterday - delighted for him. Nesbitt showed a bit of composure and vision when he came on too.

18 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Just back from the game. Few things from me.

I’m approaching 50 and my dads in his 70’s and I still love nothing more than watching the Bairns with my dad.

Anyone who says either Spencer or Lang ain’t an upgrade to our squad is looking for any reason to slate McGlynn.

McGinn and Oliver should rarely start when we have a decent compliment of players available.

Agyeman and Morrison may be frustrating but boy when they are on it, at this level anyway they get me off my seat and that’s what I pay for.

Ross McIver has started well and strikers with confidence are very dangerous.

People who boo at half time are Arseholes - a lot of games in this league we will win in the 2nd half due to full time fitness. Also, anyone who says part time teams look fitter than us is talking pish.

It’s early doors but I’m pleased tonight.

👏 

Got to admit that the first couple of times I saw long I thought he was never going to do but he has now settled down and it's not going to be easy for Hogarth to shift him if he keeps up his current form. Distribution is excellent and he's now judging when to come for balls far better.

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Got to admit that the first couple of times I saw long I thought he was never going to do but he has now settled down and it's not going to be easy for Hogarth to shift him if he keeps up his current form. Distribution is excellent and he's now judging when to come for balls far better.

Yeah he’s certainly improved. Wasn’t totally convinced by him against Dundee Utd but he was much improved from the games before. He’s been really good against Peterhead and Annan however, he’s not had too much to do but he’s certainly earned keeping his place. Will be interesting to see how he does against cove etc.. like yourself I’m much more confident in him now than I was after the first couple of games.

Encouraging signs in the 2nd half yesterday. Game was a copy of the Peterhead game, ie. even at HT before winning by 3 clear goals over 90 mins (with more or less the same players on the field - without McGinn or Oliver). MacIver is looking to be a real find, I had my doubts, but as Swinney said in the podcast he’s the number 9 we’ve been lacking. Does the dirty work upfront, playing with his back to goal for long spells, and brings others in - and keeping his scoring streak intact. Morrison was Jekyll and Hyde, posted missing 1st half and turned on the style 2nd half once he scored. A welcome back to Nizzy after injury, with a goal - he mentioned the competition he faces in midfield and on the wings. Good to see the goals spread around the team, but remember we out-gunned Dunfermline last season and they went up. IMO, If we were to emulate scrappy 1-0s the rest of the season and keep defence water tight it would be more than enough to win this league. Looks great sitting top of the league, it’s been far too long. We really need to get out of this league for well documented reasons, and beating Cove on Saturday putting 6 points daylight between us and a full time rival, will really help us. A winning run with momentum will be key and the players and fans will start believing. 

42 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

Yeah he’s certainly improved. Wasn’t totally convinced by him against Dundee Utd but he was much improved from the games before. He’s been really good against Peterhead and Annan however, he’s not had too much to do but he’s certainly earned keeping his place. Will be interesting to see how he does against cove etc.. like yourself I’m much more confident in him now than I was after the first couple of games.

My one little worry is is his size and that he might get brushed aside by big bruising forwards when high balls are thrown in. 

The real positive is his awareness. The number of times he comes out to help our defence, or stands up as a "one on one" has been instrumental in us not losing more goals in the few games he has been No.1. 

15 minutes ago, GunnerBairn said:

Encouraging signs in the 2nd half yesterday. Game was a copy of the Peterhead game, ie. even at HT before winning by 3 clear goals over 90 mins (with more or less the same players on the field - without McGinn or Oliver). MacIver is looking to be a real find, I had my doubts, but as Swinney said in the podcast he’s the number 9 we’ve been lacking. Does the dirty work upfront, playing with his back to goal for long spells, and brings others in - and keeping his scoring streak intact. Morrison was Jekyll and Hyde, posted missing 1st half and turned on the style 2nd half once he scored. A welcome back to Nizzy after injury, with a goal - he mentioned the competition he faces in midfield and on the wings. Good to see the goals spread around the team, but remember we out-gunned Dunfermline last season and they went up. IMO, If we were to emulate scrappy 1-0s the rest of the season and keep defence water tight it would be more than enough to win this league. Looks great sitting top of the league, it’s been far too long. We really need to get out of this league for well documented reasons, and beating Cove on Saturday putting 6 points daylight between us and a full time rival, will really help us. A winning run with momentum will be key and the players and fans will start believing. 

I think Hendo and Spencer gives the defence so much more protection. Imo it’s no coincidence we haven’t conceded when they’ve been on the park together. 

Well earned win in the end. Annan looked pretty knackered toward the end of the game and I felt that their heads dropped when we scored our first. I thought that the goalie and defence were all good as were Spencer and Hendo in midfield. The others were a bit hot and cold I felt. Alfie was poor so he'll be good next week, Morrison didn't look particularly interested to me until maybe 5 minutes before his goal, he then started to turn it on and I felt that he should have stayed on with Agyeman going off. Big McIver will be important to us I think. Also Nesbitt did exactly what I think he'll be good at, coming off the bench to influence things.

It'll be a different challenge next week of course, but we're well capable of winning it.