The Falkirk FC Thread

The odd thing about Brockville and all of its advantages, is that despite now being in the third tier and outside of town, is that we seem to be averaging a lot more fans than even under the heady days with Alex Totten in charge. 

Even in the 2002/03 season when we were romping the league and playing great football, we had only 3,320 for a home game vs Alloa mid March. Our last home game vs Alloa in February we had 4,061. In the Rennie season we still had 3,366 for the second last game of the season vs Alloa. 

Is this because we have a more modern stadium that is more family friendly and easier to travel to by car? Can’t quite figure it out as a 12/13 year old kid I absolutely loved getting the bus in and going to a match at Brockville on a Saturday. 

Edited by Van_damage

Just now, Van_damage said:

The odd thing about Brockville and all of its advantages, is that despite being in the third tier and outside of town, is that we seem to be averaging a lot more fans than even under the heady days with Alex Totten in charge. 

Even in the 2002/03 season when we were romping the league and playing great football, we had only 3,320 for a home game vs Alloa mid March. Our last home game vs Alloa in February we had 4,061. Even under the Rennie season we had 3,366 for the second last game of the season. 

I don't have any data to prove it, but I think the Foundation and the growth of community football has helped increase our supporter base. A thousand kids playing in Falkirk jerseys every weekend must have some impact in creating fans of the future. 

1 minute ago, Van_damage said:

The odd thing about Brockville and all of its advantages, is that despite being in the third tier and outside of town, is that we seem to be averaging a lot more fans than even under the heady days with Alex Totten in charge. 

Even in the 2002/03 season when we were romping the league and playing great football, we had only 3,320 for a home game vs Alloa mid March. Our last home game vs Alloa in February we had 4,061. Even under the Rennie season we had 3,366 for the second last game of the season. 

I think a few people myself included probably recall Brockville as always being busier or it seemed that way notably when the likes of Celtic, Rangers, Hibs or Hearts came to town. Maybe I'm just looking at it with nostalgia specs on. 

4 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

I don't have any data to prove it, but I think the Foundation and the growth of community football has helped increase our supporter base. A thousand kids playing in Falkirk jerseys every weekend must have some impact in creating fans of the future. 

I think you’re probably right. It would be great to try discover all the reasons and find out if it’s something we can try to continue to build on. 

Edited by Van_damage

1 hour ago, Zbairn said:

Unbelievable, but only 2 games in and Stirling Albion is almost shaping up to be a "must win" game for us ! 

Looking back at some posts, I agree that Lang, Spencer, McIver and Agyemon (infuriating though he is) are an improvement over last seasons guys.

However, as we have already seen many times this season, our defence still gives me nightmares. We cannot continue to give schoolboy goals away as we have done....or even allow the opposition to get a sniff.  Until we sort that out, we are going to struggle. 

FFS......imagine being nervous about playing Stirling Albion at home !!!!!!

Knicker wetting in the extreme. It is so far away from a must win game with nearly 92% of points to be played for. Of course we would rather win but nothing will be decided win, lose or draw. 

Edited by Mr Grimsdale

23 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

At the time we were looking to build a new ground, the only place I can recall being named as a possible location was Stirling Road playing fields. Was probably in the Herald as I think those were pre-internet days. IIRC the flood risk put paid to that idea. 

Nowt to do with flooding. The Stirling Road playing fields and running track were laid down in the late 60s/early 1970. The reason it couldn’t be used is that everything other than the top pitch is laid on top of the 1960s landfill site, so there is no solid ground for foundations, and there is still significant quantities of methane from the waste.

6 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

Nowt to do with flooding. The Stirling Road playing fields and running track were laid down in the late 60s/early 1970. The reason it couldn’t be used is that everything other than the top pitch is laid on top of the 1960s landfill site, so there is no solid ground for foundations, and there is still significant quantities of methane from the waste.

Aye, I seem to remember some issue with gas underground.

41 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

Knicker wetting in the extreme. It is so far away from a must win game with nearly 92% of points to be played for. Of course we would rather win but nothing will be decided win, lose or draw. 

It’s definitely not a ‘must win’ in the sense there is so much of the season to be played but we will start to put ourselves under a lot of pressure if we allow Hamilton and others to start building a gap on us. Was the same thing last thing when it was said if we win x and they lose z then we’ll be fine. Unfortunately that didn’t happen so much better to keep our fate in our own hands as quickly and for as long as possible. 

Noticed a pattern on here, as on any social media when anyone debates. When you can’t contest the point at hand or want to deflect from a  certain viewpoint, you instead try to discredit someone by calling them a tin foil hat wearer or knicker wetter or some other. A case of don’t listen to what this person says as they are crazy, a troublemaker or have some sort of an agenda. Funny thing it works too when trying to deflect for whatever reason. Folk don’t even listen even when that person turns out to be correct. Remember Pedro getting all sorts of abuse when suggesting we had no money for a right back. Could maybe have provided more information but for all the abuse they turned out to be right and noone bothered to say so. I’ve had that recently when being wrongfully accused of putting words in another persons mouth. It’s not good particularly when you don’t make yourself anonymous. 

Why not just say you disagree and put across your point rather than take slight at the person saying it? If someone is talking such nonsense then shouldn’t be hard to contest, should it?

Edited by Van_damage

30 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

Knicker wetting or not..... you watch the melt down on here if we get beat.

Of course the title isn't won (or lost) on the 3rd league match of the season. However, we said the same last season when we lost the first match to Kelty away and to QP at home the season before.  

Last year we watched Dunfermline get to the top and not let anyone near them. Giving Hamilton a start, might just allow them to get the momentum they want. 

A win on Tuesday is vitally important for confidence.  A loss will start to bring all the self doubt back. 

2 hours ago, Zbairn said:

Unbelievable, but only 2 games in and Stirling Albion is almost shaping up to be a "must win" game for us ! 

Looking back at some posts, I agree that Lang, Spencer, McIver and Agyemon (infuriating though he is) are an improvement over last seasons guys.

However, as we have already seen many times this season, our defence still gives me nightmares. We cannot continue to give schoolboy goals away as we have done....or even allow the opposition to get a sniff.  Until we sort that out, we are going to struggle. 

FFS......imagine being nervous about playing Stirling Albion at home !!!!!!

Calm yourself, it’s the middle of August ffs!

1 hour ago, Van_damage said:

The odd thing about Brockville and all of its advantages, is that despite now being in the third tier and outside of town, is that we seem to be averaging a lot more fans than even under the heady days with Alex Totten in charge. 

Even in the 2002/03 season when we were romping the league and playing great football, we had only 3,320 for a home game vs Alloa mid March. Our last home game vs Alloa in February we had 4,061. In the Rennie season we still had 3,366 for the second last game of the season vs Alloa. 

Is this because we have a more modern stadium that is more family friendly and easier to travel to by car? Can’t quite figure it out as a 12/13 year old kid I absolutely loved getting the bus in and going to a match at Brockville on a Saturday. 

Is it down to the way the gates are recorded now (ie all season ticket holders included whether they're there or not). Don't think that happened back then.  

4 minutes ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Is it down to the way the gates are recorded now (ie all season ticket holders included whether they're there or not). Don't think that happened back then.  

I think so. If absolutely no spectators turned up, the official attendance would still be 2,500 (ish).

Edited by Duncan Freemason

We have a lot more ST holders now versus the last few seasons at Brockville. Even the last season in 02/03 we had around 1000 but the number of PATG was huge due to how well we were playing. 

Regarding tomorrow night, it’s a must win on the basis it’s a home game, a home game versus a newly promoted team & lastly it’s a home game against STIRLING ALBION. Get it won, reduce the gap on Accies & move onto Alloa on Saturday. 

4 minutes ago, RC55 FFC said:

We have a lot more ST holders now versus the last few seasons at Brockville. Even the last season in 02/03 we had around 1000 but the number of PATG was huge due to how well we were playing. 

Regarding tomorrow night, it’s a must win on the basis it’s a home game, a home game versus a newly promoted team & lastly it’s a home game against STIRLING ALBION. Get it won, reduce the gap on Accies & move onto Alloa on Saturday. 

Get a grip of yourself man......we are only 2 games into the season 😉