The Falkirk FC Thread

Been keeping an eye on our goals scored from shots ratio all season, it's about 1 goal from every 7 or 8 shots.  I've not compared all the other teams in our league, but even the teams we beat have a higher proportion of goals against us for the number of shots they have.  Yes we are getting a shed load of chances but actual goals scored are not keeping up.  This needs addressing as it will, if it is not already, come back and bite is in the bum.  You can't win a league with chances.

Edited by Long Suffering Bairn

1 hour ago, Harry Kinnear said:

This is going to go right to the wire as can’t see us pulling away from Hamilton. Really think we need one or two in the door in January as they will strengthen, feel we need another option up front at least. Just hope FSS continues to grow to allow a couple of signings as it could make all the difference.

Think some of the FSS money has already went on keeping Ross till the end of the season. Hamilton were lucky tonight, Played most of the second half with ten men and the woodwork rescued them in injury time or they would have dropped points aswell. Most sides have a bogey team or a team that you know it's going to be a hard game. Montrose is ours. Neither us or Hamilton have really blinked yet but Cove are creeping up on the shoulder they could yet have a say. 

Difficult watch and tonight’s game was remnants of old, where we simply huffed and puffed without any end product. Sorry, but unless we bring in at least a striker in the forthcoming window, it’s going to be nip and tuck till season end. Disappointing we didn’t take one of our chances and Nesbit only had to connect correctly to score. Their  CB pairing had an easy 90 as mopped up every ball. Abundantly clear Allan signing hasn’t worked and hopefully loaned to allow someone in. For me  Lawal also fits same glove. Still top and unbeaten but last few league performances confirm that we desperately need a couple of fresh faces in.

7 hours ago, Long Suffering Bairn said:

Been keeping an eye on our goals scored from shots ratio all season, it's about 1 goal from every 6 or 7 shots.  I've not compared all the other teams in our league, but even the teams we beat have a higher proportion of goals against us for the number of shots they have.  Yes we are getting a shed load of chances but actual goals scored are not keeping up.  This needs addressing as it will, if it is not already, come back and bite is in the bum.  You can't win a league with chances.

Agreed been looking at this too and great creating so many chances but probably missing more than any other team. Been looking at individual goals per chance and last time I looked (couple of games ago) nesbit was our most clinical player with a goal for every two shots (albeit not as many shots). McIver was a goal every five attempts as a comparison. We've been great this season but it's definitely a part of our game the front half dozen players need to do better on. 

Another statement of the obvious that it's good to be looking at a midweek stalemate away to Montrose with a tinge of disappointment. Some nights just look nailed on for draws and that happens at all levels of football. 

I was disappointed with our attacking play though, and the quality of balls into the box/final passes in particular. 

With all of that said, we have a huge opportunity to retake a fairly solid grip of the league in the coming weeks. 

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

Another statement of the obvious that it's good to be looking at a midweek stalemate away to Montrose with a tinge of disappointment. Some nights just look nailed on for draws and that happens at all levels of football. 

I was disappointed with our attacking play though, and the quality of balls into the box/final passes in particular. 

With all of that said, we have a huge opportunity to retake a fairly solid grip of the league in the coming weeks. 

The games up to the new year will be a huge deciding factor on our season. Maybe the only supporter that feels like the draw against the Montrose last night feels like we’re repeating last years bridesmaid mode.

7 minutes ago, Springfield said:

The games up to the new year will be a huge deciding factor on our season. Maybe the only supporter that feels like the draw against the Montrose last night feels like we’re repeating last years bridesmaid mode.

I hope we don’t start drifting….picking up 3 points against the weaker sides and then coming away with draws (with a possible defeat or two) against our rivals. Big game on Saturday against a dangerous opponent, time to hit our stride again.

I think it’s a mark of how far we’ve come this season that we’re bemoaning a draw at Montrose. For me that was a tricky fixture and good we took something from the game. I’ve been trying to find the league table for the same point last year after 14 games to compare performance against last seasons runaway winners. I am sure we are on a par (no pun intended🙄) or indeed better. I know some will say Hamilton best Montrose 3-0 up there but it’s swings and roundabouts for me. 

Frustrating to drop points last night and let Hamilton close the gap but it should be noted we're still setting an incredible pace so far. Looking at the winners of this league from the last decade (excluding Rangers for obvious reasons), the average points and goal difference per game is 2.06 and 1.05. We're currently on 2.43 and 1.57 with Accies on 2.36 and 1.57. Would imagine those drop slightly for both sides as the season progresses but we're in the strongest position since we came down. It's just frustrating that we have an equally dominant rival the season we get it right, as this level of performance would see us over the line comfortably in most other seasons.

Edited by lanky_ffc

25 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

I think it’s a mark of how far we’ve come this season that we’re bemoaning a draw at Montrose. For me that was a tricky fixture and good we took something from the game. I’ve been trying to find the league table for the same point last year after 14 games to compare performance against last seasons runaway winners. I am sure we are on a par (no pun intended🙄) or indeed better. I know some will say Hamilton best Montrose 3-0 up there but it’s swings and roundabouts for me. 

This season:

Screenshot2023-11-29at10_37_00.thumb.png.3bd0b3f9ca5cea8f800c110612f93aca.png

Last season after 14 games (we'd just lost 1-0 at home to Dunfermline who provided an epic shitfesting that day) 

Screenshot2023-11-29at10_47_14.thumb.png.fe805440a90657c6c1657ba1805f4c23.png

38 minutes ago, bejazz1 said:

This is still hard to take for much of our fanbase. 

Remember ZBairn getting ridiculed for saying every game is a must win and Hamilton wouldn’t do a Dunfermline. 

A point against Montrose is a good result but given how things stand, we can’t afford to drop many more in the coming weeks. 

Long way to go and I’m sure Hamilton will slip up but Cove are starting to look a worry too. They’ve not been defeated since the start of September and won every match they’ve played the last 2 months. Massive game and a win should put to rest them trying to get involved in the title race. 

Edited by Dave McInally

1 hour ago, Dave McInally said:

Remember ZBairn getting ridiculed for saying every game is a must win and Hamilton wouldn’t do a Dunfermline. 

A point against Montrose is a good result but given how things stand, we can’t afford to drop many more in the coming weeks. 

Long way to go and I’m sure Hamilton will slip up but Cove are starting to look a worry too. They’ve not been defeated since the start of September and won every match they’ve played the last 2 months. Massive game and a win should put rest to them trying to get involved in the title race. 

100% agree, Cove's form suggests they'll do much more than just have a say.  They'll be looking at Saturday thinking a win brings them to 6 points behind no doubt with money to spend in Jan.  Hamilton too have money burning a hole in their pocket from the deadline day sales they made.  

We may not be able to bring in extra bodies but we do need at least a Plan B for games like last night in terms of formation.  We can't risk being 1 trick pony all season or stalemates will become more regular.  A win on Saturday would be huge!  

Cove fancying their chances is nothing but good for us. We can outscore anyone in this league which is precisely why we face organised and dogges defences so often, which make nights like lastnight a when, not if, occurrence. If Cove come for the 3 points, it makes a performance on par with shoeing Dundee Utd significantly more likely.