The Falkirk FC Thread

Unbelievable amount of moaning about the cancellation. It’s a small blessing in that we’ve played a lot of football being involved in two cups and challenging for the league. Give players a wee break (in both senses). It gives the squad time to recover and likely we’ll be closer to full strength by next Saturday for Kelty, with Oliver and McGinn a little closer to fitness, an un-named player likely recovered from a bug who’d have missed the Cove game, and Hendo free from suspension. Not to mention Cove who’ve won their last 5/6 in a row. I’ll take the cancellation on this occasion thanks.

2 hours ago, BPM Again said:

100% the Astro

If they still had them then even at 80% effectiveness then would have been worth it. Might not have prevented the game being called off but worth the effort. 

Hopefully replacement covers aren’t too expensive but would seem a good purchase if we can’t use equipment on the new pitch. 

On a slightly different note, just received my FSS Paypal monthly payment cancellation,

A very easy transaction to creating a new registration. I know the club has already called this, however no harm done to many that contribute, for another reminder to create new account/payment details. 

8 minutes ago, Springfield said:

On a slightly different note, just received my FSS Paypal monthly payment cancellation,

A very easy transaction to creating a new registration. I know the club has already called this, however no harm done to many that contribute, for another reminder to create new account/payment details. 

Yeah me too that a job for today to sort that

My first Falkirk match was in 1958, don't go to games now, as, the, I can't afford to. Read P&B, and am always amazed at the negatively spouted on here, we are having our best season, with our best team in years. Sit back and enjoy the ride and support the team

On 02/12/2023 at 10:03, Dave McInally said:

Thanks BB. In all honesty I can’t think of seeing them on a plastic pitch either but wonder if it would be worth the investment or there’s a reason for not putting them on artificial surfaces.

Yes, there is. Condensation, with the subsequent migration of the condensate into the infill and its refreezing, is a big threat to synthetic pitches. The standard for care of a synthetic pitch calls for plowing down to roughly a 3-4 cm crust of snow that can be left melt quickly. Leaving more than that on the surface tends to cause the same issue that a tarp can cause, with snow melt penetrating the infill areas and refreezing, resulting in granule displacement. You need a plow with a suitably low ground pressure as well.

The standard winter raking and agitation to break up matting and address granular migration is sufficient IF this process is followed, some extra steps are recommended if the snow cover remains for over 2-3 days. As for being “all weather”, since the recommendation is to allow natural melt of the last 3-4 cm of snow/ice, there was no prudent path for the club to get the pitch ready in 7 hours.

Since there was discussion of this, Doncaster is proposing to ban synthetic pitches in the Premiership (sorry for the Record link, https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-premiership-could-ban-plastic-31588641). The story mentions the SPFL demanded that Livi buy and use covers on their surface (which would be against the manufacturers recommendation, but that didn’t make the article) and that Livi salted the piss outta their place to try and unfreeze it (again, not good for an already unpopular surface there.

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

). The story mentions the SPFL demanded that Livi buy and use covers on their surface (which would be against the manufacturers recommendation, but that didn’t make the article)

Interesting. With all the different types of coverings available  ie agriculture as an example, that Livi have a surface that doesn’t fit with the makers recommendations. Not knowing what surface we’ve installed, are we likely to have the same issues ? 

1 hour ago, Proudtobeabairn said:

Very encouraging that they're considering additional benefits for FSS members (discounts etc).  Should help push numbers up. 

Just need to be careful they don’t become liable for VAT as could end up with a tax bill to foot. 

May have differences with how I view the FSS but 850 members is a great amount. Pleasing to see that get recognised as a success rather than not being enough. 

Makes it only £30k/year short of the Well society now in terms of annual contributions. Credit to some of the hard work being done by those on the committee.  

Edited by Dave McInally

31 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Interesting. With all the different types of coverings available  ie agriculture as an example, that Livi have a surface that doesn’t fit with the makers recommendations. Not knowing what surface we’ve installed, are we likely to have the same issues ? 

Livi’s surface is correct, the SPFL simply has demanded that Livi act in contravention of the surface manufacturers recommendations for optimum performance by petulantly stomping their feet and demanding.