The Falkirk FC Thread

Understandably very hard to control the emotions straight after the goal but do wonder if the referee blew immediately from the centre to potentially avoid a 2nd incursion had we scored a winner. 

Most except EC seemed to think there was still time to be played to get one.

Edited by Blame Me
Grammar

12 hours ago, AGPar said:

I would not bet on it. In fact, I'd bet against it. Because If either us or Cove - who are playing Brora Rangers - get through next weekend the game up there on 10/2 is off, as that's the next round of the Scottish Cup. So there's a real possibility that by the time the Hamilton game comes around on 17/2, they will have played a further four league games to our one, which will be absolutely no cake walk at Alloa. Hamilton being out of all cups means they can now just go Saturday to Saturday in the league. Who knows how beneficial that may prove to be for them? As enjoyable as the performances and results against QP and especially DU were, this Trust Trophy or whatever it's called this year is a pain at this stage, and one we could well do without. Binning scheduled Saturday league games in favour of it is just ludicrous.

If I am well aware of the vagaries of the fixture list over the course of the next month, then I'll assume that McGlynn is as well, making yesterday's act of self-sabotage and offering of some hope to our main rivals when there was absolutely no need to all the more mind-blowing. Complete and utter lunacy. It all adds up to the fact that, for as good as this season has been, we're still a million miles away from achieving anything. We've still got a massive challenge over the next the three and a half months.

Unreal that we started Saturday 11 points clear and could welcome Hamilton to TFS on 17/02 with both teams level on points !!

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

So what do you think Dave McInally re the cameras? You are the professional here?

I helped Kieran during Covid with advice on new kit. Sure they bought a load of stuff so not sure where it has all gone.  Haven’t heard anything since so couldn’t say what the issues are but happy to help, if needed. 

Edited by Dave McInally

49 minutes ago, Hampden Roar said:

Got to remember the highlights that EC do are not sent out at midnight, they are edited (normally with dubbed comms), but you can see time is taken to give a nice edited package,  imo ours look like they are recorded straight off the stream so quality is slightly less.  

I could say plenty and churn old material here but you get what you pay for with your volunteers. There's a fundamental lack of understanding of how to do your media.

This is a small video from our stream (one of the actual 700 ten second clips that are served when you watch our stream)  compare that to your highlights.545.ts

7 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

I could say plenty and churn old material here but you get what you pay for with your volunteers. There's a fundamental lack of understanding of how to do your media.

This is a small video from our stream (one of the actual 700 ten second clips that are served when you watch our stream)  compare that to your highlights.545.ts

A better camera, or a better knowledge of equipment than us? The clarity in that compared to anything put out by us is mental

10 minutes ago, bairn88 said:

A better camera, or a better knowledge of equipment than us? The clarity in that compared to anything put out by us is mental

Worse camera, better knowledge. Not using Pars TV!

Edit for balance: Still shots are much better than ones with extensive movement so I think compare this clip. I've also cranked the gain right up (too far) because I thought it was getting dark - it's not that green at Palmerston. So this is the worst possible quality you can get.

631.ts

Edited by LeodhasXD

8 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

There endeth the topic! 😕

It's not going to improve whilst it's contracted out.

Your highlights have no excuse though. They send a really poor stream to be served on falkirktv.uk but they should be using the actual recorded footage from the camera to do the highlights. Okay edit on a proxy but before you send it to youtube swap the footage to the full quality one. 

So is this the situation - that the camera person is part of a contract with Pars TV? I've been wary of criticising the highlights package because I thought it was a volunteer but if it is a paid for service then we really should be moaning. It is pretty awful.  Never mind the quality and the camera work but the editing fails to show some of the significant events in matches and this week noone would know the line ups or the half time subs. It strikes me that the Sat night edit si done too quickly and haphazardly.

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

1 minute ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

So is this the situation - that the camera person is part of a contract with Pars TV? I've been wary of criticising the highlights package because I thought it was a volunteer but if it is a paid for service then we really should be moaning. It is pretty awful. 

I think it is a group of volunteers that you have on site - sending footage to Pars TV. When we used them we used less than half the bitrate we do now. Pars TV use a channel from Dacast and they charge based on how much data you send so to cut costs they use a particularly low bitrate. 

But what I think is happening in your highlights clips are coming straight from what they are streaming. It's certainly not coming from the camera - unless they're using an incompatible SD card - because that's not even hitting a smooth frame rate. Low bitrate is also why the perceived quality is less than 1080p too - there's not enough information going to the screen to fill in the gaps of information and so it looks horrible.

20 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

So is this the situation - that the camera person is part of a contract with Pars TV? I've been wary of criticising the highlights package because I thought it was a volunteer but if it is a paid for service then we really should be moaning. 

No the camera person is a volunteer, as are the two commentators. 

AFAIK the highlights are done from the memory card. Sometimes the media officer does them when he gets home and on Saturday I think they were done by one the commentators on the team bus home. The guys sit behind me on the bus though I wasn't really paying much attention to what they were doing so I might be wrong on that. The commentator works in digital media at the SPFL and is very clued-up on what he does. Producing videos is part of his day job. The highlights have nothing to do with the live streaming service. 

A polite suggestion for Leodhas. You're obviously knowledgeable about your subject, but if you work in a particular field for a football club it's not really the done thing to imply criticism on your counterparts at another club. And that's how your posts come across, though I'd hope it's not deliberate.

For example, I wouldn't dream of posting anything negative about the work produced by David Glencross at Alloa. Apart from the fact that I know and like him, it's just not appropriate and would be frowned upon, not just by him but by everyone else in our community. Your posts are kind of skirting on the edge of that in my eyes. Maybe better to speak to people face to face rather than post about them online? 

It won't be long before we're back at Recreation Park again so you'll have your opportunity soon enough. 

3 minutes ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

A polite suggestion for Leodhas. You're obviously knowledgeable about your subject, but if you work in a particular field for a football club it's not really the done thing to imply criticism on your counterparts at another club. And that's how your posts come across, though I'd hope it's not deliberate.

It is absolutely deliberate criticism from me. You can't accuse me of not being constructive with it though. If in a professional context you can't take someone saying you're probably doing that wrong, try this then you really need to sort out your ego problem. 

If he's using the memory card - tell him to find a higher quality preset or get some new hardware because there is serious issues in what is coming out on youtube.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

It is absolutely deliberate criticism from me. You can't accuse me of not being constructive with it though. If in a professional context you can't take someone saying you're probably doing that wrong, try this then you really need to sort out your ego problem. 

If he's using the memory card - tell him to find a higher quality preset or get some new hardware because there is serious issues in what is coming out on youtube.

It's nothing to do with ego or being unable to take constructive criticism.

It's whether that suggestion for improvement should be made on a public forum or offered in private. 

1 minute ago, Bainsfordbairn said:

It's nothing to do with ego or being unable to take constructive criticism.

It's whether that suggestion for improvement should be made on a public forum or offered in private. 

That's like saying a film critic should be writing a letter to the studio instead of putting their review in the paper. Nonsensical. 

14 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

That's like saying a film critic should be writing a letter to the studio instead of putting their review in the paper. Nonsensical. 

What an utterly ludicrous analogy.

11 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

Are you a football club media critic? You’re on this forum regularly having digs. If you feel so strongly about it (which appears to be the case), instead of going on another team’s forum to criticise their media, maybe get in touch with the media team yourself to offer your suggestions. On here you just come across as extremely arrogant. 

1 minute ago, Captain Chugwash said:

Are you a football club media critic? You’re on this forum regularly having digs. If you feel so strongly about it (which appears to be the case), instead of going on another team’s forum to criticise their media, maybe get in touch with the media team yourself to offer your suggestions. On here you just come across as extremely arrogant. 

This is the point I always make if you want me to make your product you better pay me to do it. Falkirk are using three volunteers... I'm well within my rights to say I think your product is rubbish. That original criticism came from your own Falkirk fans. I'm just offering my opinion on a) why it's ugly b) how to make it better.

If that's not the done thing then it bloody well should be.