The Falkirk FC Thread

53 minutes ago, Bairn in Exile said:

The gazebo was of its time as it were, it served its purpose to increase attendances but now that we have the KM7 it really isn't needed. Besides, they look terrible, just look at Cove or the one at Hamilton or even that one at Alloa. I'd rather have nowt than something like that along the east of the stadium. Better to bide our time and get a proper covered safe standing terrace built if / when we reach the land of milk and honey.

Aye, but think of the revenue it would bring in when the ugly sisters, Hearts and Hibs visit.

1 hour ago, 60`s bairn said:

Ryan Flynn was sold to Liverpool from our Academy in 2005. Murray Wallace was brought in from Rangers Academy to ours and spent a year or so in our Academy before getting into the first team.

Ryan Flynn was then re-signed and sold for a higher sum. The current model would not have prevented Wallace from coming through.

18 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Ryan Flynn was then re-signed and sold for a higher sum. The current model would not have prevented Wallace from coming through.

You were quoting them along with Vaulks and Taylor as players we had just picked up and then sold on without them being in the Academy, I was trying to point out for the sake of clarity that they had been in our Academy and subsequently moved to Liverpool and Huddersfield respectively. 

3 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

As I have said, the club should be making sure there are as many options as possible for people to contribute to the club. FSS should be one part of that.

I’m also not sure how the closure of the academy prevents us selling players. Vaulks, Taylor, Wallace and Flynn have all been sold without coming through our academy.

Will be controversial but another thing I would do to stop the gap becoming any bigger is to cap academy spending at current levels until we are established in the premier league.

There is a danger imo (which the board have done well to avert to far) that you have coaches and fans understandably wanting more investment and you end up as an academy with a football club attached again.

The current approach also frees up resources to take gambles like Yeats, Lawal and Adams.

I think that's exactly what they're doing, they're certainly not relying solely on the FSS.

From memory, we've sold Taylor, Higginbotham and Vaulks (don't think I've missed anyone) that didn't come through the academy. That in itself is an unusual situation and I think the fact that our academy was so well thought of helped with that. The academy however produced £millions by the sale of Flynn, Wallace, Arfield, Kingsley, Fulton, McGrandles, Murdoch, Blair, Biabi, Gallagher and Mark Stewart, who I'm sure briefly joined the academy before playing in the first team. 

It was a terrible decision to axe it.

Edit to say that, hopefully, Fulton has still to get us some more cash if he's sold on. That add-on in itself may reap more than the accumulated fees of the three non-academy players that I mentioned.

Edited by ShaggerG

9 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think that's exactly what they're doing, they're certainly not relying solely on the FSS.

From memory, we've sold Taylor, Higginbotham and Vaulks (don't think I've missed anyone) that didn't come through the academy. That in itself is an unusual situation and I think the fact that our academy was so well thought of helped with that. The academy however produced £millions by the sale of Flynn, Wallace, Arfield, Kingsley, Fulton, McGrandles, Murdoch, Blair, Biabi, Gallagher and Mark Stewart, who I'm sure briefly joined the academy before playing in the first team. 

Edit to say that, hopefully, Fulton has still to get us some more cash if he's sold on. That add-on in itself may reap more than the accumulated fees of the three non-academy players that I mentioned.

Is it confirmed that we have a sell on clause still in the deal? Thought that would be finished due to him signing a new contract.

14 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

You`re right about Mark Stewart, I`m sure we signed him from Partick for the Academy and he pretty much played his first season in it. He did get a debut against Cowdenbeath though in a 5-0 victory in the league cup, scoring soon after coming on.

Team pic.jpg

5 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

You`re right about Mark Stewart, I`m sure we signed him from Partick for the Academy and he pretty much played his first season in it. He did get a debut against Cowdenbeath though in a 5-0 victory in the league cup, scoring soon after coming on.

Team pic.jpg

Did he not spend a season or 6 months out on loan to Montrose or something as well? 

2 hours ago, Bairney The Dinosaur said:

All true, but I had so much fun in there and the fond memories will last forever. 

Absolutely fucking golden times in there - what a laugh.

I'm gonna get pelters for this but I enjoyed it more than Brockville.

3 hours ago, 60`s bairn said:

Ryan Flynn was sold to Liverpool from our Academy in 2005. Murray Wallace was brought in from Rangers Academy to ours and spent a year or so in our Academy before getting into the first team.

You can add Fulton, McGrandles, Ryan Blair, Botti Biabi, Gallacher , Kingsley, Arfield and all the 5 and 10k that we would get if we lost a player to another Academy. (This isn’t the bit never advertised and probably the bit fans didn’t know about). On top that the adds from the likes of Kingsley. One of the ex-employees who was heavily involved in the recruitment believed the number in overall was £4m. The other thing is by developing your own players is when they hit the first team they are a hell of a lot cheaper that some of the non entities we have had since. It is frightening what we have burned as a club on the likes of Ryan Williamson, Brad McKay, Seb Ross (yes we even paid a fee for this guy), Tidser etc etc for little or no return.  

Edited by BPM

27 minutes ago, 60`s bairn said:

Team pic.jpg

I recognise Andrews, Alison, Barclay, Mitchell, Arfield, Stewart, Moffat and Scobbie, can you help with the rest? [not the three in black obviously]

4 hours ago, PedroMoutinho said:

As I have said, the club should be making sure there are as many options as possible for people to contribute to the club. FSS should be one part of that.

Off the top of my head they have 1876 club, lottery, FFF, 50/50 draw, hospitality, shirt sponsorship, Falkirk TV, full match replays, PPV games, merchandise, match programme advertising, stadium advertising, Dinners, golf days, junior Bairns, Patron group, donations, seeking outside investment. Not sure I have missed anything but I bet I have. There will be FSS members doing lots of the above.

So what on top of that should they do? 

Edited by BPM

15 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I recognise Andrews, Alison, Barclay, Mitchell, Arfield, Stewart, Moffat and Scobbie, can you help with the rest? [not the three in black obviously]

Top row, extreme left Kieran Stallard (centre half) He ended up with Airdrie and is now living in Australia.

Extreme right, Scott Gibb (defender)

Middle row: between Arfield and Stewart is Dean Clements (midfielder). Extreme right. Lee Nichol, (midfielder)

Front row: Extreme left, Peter McMahon (defender). Extreme right, Dane Robertson (Striker) played a handful of first team games.

59 minutes ago, SouthStander1876 said:

Is it confirmed that we have a sell on clause still in the deal? Thought that would be finished due to him signing a new contract.

I don't know TBH, although I wouldn't have thought that a new contract would affect things?

1 minute ago, 60`s bairn said:

Top row, extreme left Kieran Stallard (centre half) He ended up with Airdrie and is now living in Australia.

Extreme right, Scott Gibb (defender)

Middle row: between Arfield and Stewart is Dean Clements (midfielder). Extreme right. Lee Nichol, (midfielder)

Front row: Extreme left, Peter McMahon (defender). Extreme right, Dane Robertson (Striker) played a handful of first team games.

Cheers, Robertson was one I recognised but couldn't remember. 

Aye, I suppose ending up in Airdrie will do that to you!

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Absolutely fucking golden times in there - what a laugh.

I'm gonna get pelters for this but I enjoyed it more than Brockville.

I just missed Brockville and started going regularly the first year at TFS so nothing to compare it to, but definitely the part of the stadium I consistently enjoyed the most. 

5 hours ago, Newbornbairn said:

First off - pretty sure there are plans for the 4th stand but it's a Foundation project involving community grants and the like. 

Like the idea of fans contributing directly to projects though - kinda like a church steeple fund. Things like a scoreboard or screen would be good. Make it a voluntary contribution like GoFundMe.

Ooh, ooh - if we get Clubber Lang to do an Only Fans we'll have a 4th stand and retractable roof by the summer!

Hopefully the Foundation are nowhere near a 4th Stand. There is enough of that stadium owned elsewhere without another organisation getting involved 

The Falkirk Foundation have successfully applied for grant funding (around £400K IIRC) to construct a separate building with changing rooms, offices etc near their pitch. I believe they briefly looked at accommodating this as part of a new stand but it wasn't considered viable. 

Sadly I doubt we'll ever see a proper East Stand built as a 3k stand (which would cost what, £4-5m to build?) doesn't offer much return when we can add 1k temporary seats on that side for peanuts if we get back to the premiership. Unless a Sandy Alexander type wants to set up another KM7-esque deal, otherwise we'd probably have to give the whole thing to the arsecheeks when they visited for it to even begin to stack up which I wouldn't be keen on at all.

36 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

The Falkirk Foundation have successfully applied for grant funding (around £400K IIRC) to construct a separate building with changing rooms, offices etc near their pitch. I believe they briefly looked at accommodating this as part of a new stand but it wasn't considered viable. 

Sadly I doubt we'll ever see a proper East Stand built as a 3k stand (which would cost what, £4-5m to build?) doesn't offer much return when we can add 1k temporary seats on that side for peanuts if we get back to the premiership. Unless a Sandy Alexander type wants to set up another KM7-esque deal, otherwise we'd probably have to give the whole thing to the arsecheeks when they visited for it to even begin to stack up which I wouldn't be keen on at all.

I saw this in the Herald. Are there detailed plans anywhere?