The Falkirk FC Thread

3 hours ago, ChrispPancake said:

as I said, in the first half we were brilliant and could easily have been out of sight but the game changed at half time and we created very few real chances in the 2nd half. No team can just keep doing the same thing and hope to get the breakthrough when Ayr clearly had us sussed out in that 2nd half. As for 'if that's the standard', that 'standard' was a step up from last season and yes they rode their luck in the first half but they won the game and should have scored a second last night and that's all that matters in football.

Watching the highlights again we had at least  two excellent chances second half we really should've taken and got into some excellent positions where the final ball let us down a bit.  Considering it was away against a side with a much bigger budget than us with a makeshift defence and we still dominated  Im not going to be too harsh on the players.

2 hours ago, FFC 1876 said:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2vkFpe8Tgpw

Keeper's absolutely got to save that and to make matters worse Stone looks to have had a stormer of a game.

Rest looks like it was all us, created plenty of chances just didn't stick any away.

Stone got away with a dodgy moment late on when MacIver could've done better if you ask me.

9 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Watching the highlights again we had at least  two excellent chances second half we really should've taken and got into some excellent positions where the final ball let us down a bit.  Considering it was away against a side with a much bigger budget than us with a makeshift defence and we still dominated  Im not going to be too harsh on the players.

Do they really have a “much bigger budget” than us? They only got about £170k more prize money than us last season and averaged crowds of just over 2000, so their owners must be pumping in a hell of a lot to give them a much bigger budget than us.

Ayr have recruited well with the likes of Stone, McMann, Rus, Dowds and Oakley. The latter two aren't the quickest but they'll be a handful for every Championship defense this season. 

It's clear their owner is putting decent money in but I'd be surprised if Ayr have a bigger budget than us, especially with their new stand 

13 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Do they really have a “much bigger budget” than us? They only got about £170k more prize money than us last season and averaged crowds of just over 2000, so their owners must be pumping in a hell of a lot to give them a much bigger budget than us.

There owners are putting in a decent amount of cash though. Look at the new stand they just built so you think they are building that then scrimping on budget? Scott brown himself won't be on peanuts and wouldn't be there without having cash to spend.  You only need to look at some of  the players they have brought in. Oakley  and mcmann( on a pre from united )  wouldn't be cheap to get in for a start.  Rus they paid a fee for.Anyone that can afford Aidan mcgeady is way above us in the budget standings.

Edited by Shodwall cat

5 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

Ayr have recruited well with the likes of Stone, McMann, Rus, Dowds and Oakley. The latter two aren't the quickest but they'll be a handful for every Championship defense this season. 

It's clear their owner is putting decent money in but I'd be surprised if Ayr have a bigger budget than us, especially with their new stand 

Mcgeady will be on a good bit more than any player we have on our books that's for sure. They will certainly have a bigger budget than us. They aren't building that stand to stay in the championship and had a sell out home crowd against Celtic a few weeks back to boost their coffers too. The fact they could pay a fee for rus too tells you there's more money there than there is in our coffers.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Goal difference is the deciding factor for group if points are level so crucial we scud Buckie and stenny. Annoying the Buckie game isn’t at home - that’s a real advantage compared to going up there. Ayr will finish on 9 points at least most likely. 

11 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

There owners are putting in a decent amount of cash though. Look at the new stand they just built so you think they are building that then scrimping on budget? Scott brown himself won't be on peanuts and wouldn't be there without having cash to spend.  You only need to look at some of  the players they have brought in. Oakley  and mcmann( on a pre from united )  wouldn't be cheap to get in for a start.  Rus they paid a fee for.Anyone that can afford Aidan mcgeady is way above us in the budget standings.

Clearly they’ve had money available for more signings but they’ve also moved on a good few from last season. The majority of our budget will have gone on retaining players.

Not convinced any owner with much sense would be putting in enough money to overcome a difference in average crowds of nearly 3000 (which will probably be even higher this season given our higher away crowds).

The whole budget debate is rather tedious 🥱

Football is littered with examples of spending a lot to achieve not very much - I'm not dismissing it's a factor but it's not always the deciding one.

It's arguable that spending it wisely has a bigger effect on outcomes to state the blindingly obvious!

Edited by Blame Me
Clarification

Just now, PedroMoutinho said:

Clearly they’ve had money available for more signings but they’ve also moved on a good few from last season. The majority of our budget will have gone on retaining players.

Not convinced any owner with much sense would be putting in enough money to overcome a difference in average crowds of nearly 3000 (which will probably be even higher this season given our higher away crowds).

It'll surprise you how much these guys will invest look at the amount the Raith owners have been pumping in. Remember also  these sides have been getting vastly more money than us for 5 years now including the COVID cash not just last season. Ayr came second the season before last that's 600k compared to our 140k we got that season.  We are playing catch up at the moment.

6 minutes ago, Blame Me said:

The whole budget debate is rather tedious 🥱

Football is littered with examples of spending a lot to achieve not very much - I'm not dismissing it's a factor but it's not always the deciding one.

It's arguable that spending it wisely has a bigger effect on outcomes to state the blindingly obvious!

Exactly my point. We should be happy that despite the budget difference we are able to put a side on the park that can go down and dominate an Ayr side on their own patch.  We can't get carried away though and expect too much this season.  We are starting from some way behind the rest and expectations need to be tempered. No doubt there will be some wanting mcglynn sacked if we aren't winning the league by Christmas.

5 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

It'll surprise you how much these guys will invest look at the amount the Raith owners have been pumping in. Remember also  these sides have been getting vastly more money than us for 5 years now including the COVID cash not just last season. Ayr came second the season before last that's 600k compared to our 140k we got that season.  We are playing catch up at the moment.

2 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Exactly my point. We should be happy that despite the budget difference we are able to put a side on the park that can go down and dominate an Ayr side on their own patch.  We can't get carried away though and expect too much this season.  We are starting from some way behind the rest and expectations need to be tempered. No doubt there will be some wanting mcglynn sacked if we aren't winning the league by Christmas.

Christ these posts 🫠

You didn’t “dominate” anyone. I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you. As said on the Ayr thread but you hit the post from a free kick and a couple of shots from outside the box. Getting loads of crosses into the box isn’t “dominating” a game. It’s just persevering with a tactic that clearly isn’t working. We were comfortable for the entire second half when you couldn’t break down a makeshift midfield and defence with only one natural centre half in it. If I was a Falkirk fan I’d be focusing more on what you still need to sign in order to make the playoffs rather than how brilliant you were. 

As for the budget chat, we’re investing money that we’ve brought into the club through player sales, league positions, a couple of friendlies and a spike in hospitality now that we have one of the best offerings in the league on that front. There’s been no huge investment from our chairman on the playing budget but rather the infrastructure of the club which is far more beneficial for long term sustainability. 

As a few others have mentioned it's important we are relentless against Stenny and Buckie now.

Based on last night you'd imagine Dundee Utd will beat Ayr which may mean 3 teams would be on 9 points and GD would be vital.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Christ these posts 🫠

You didn’t “dominate” anyone. I’m sorry to be the one to break it to you. As said on the Ayr thread but you hit the post from a free kick and a couple of shots from outside the box. Getting loads of crosses into the box isn’t “dominating” a game. It’s just persevering with a tactic that clearly isn’t working. We were comfortable for the entire second half when you couldn’t break down a makeshift midfield and defence with only one natural centre half in it. If I was a Falkirk fan I’d be focusing more on what you still need to sign in order to make the playoffs rather than how brilliant you were. 

As for the budget chat, we’re investing money that we’ve brought into the club through player sales, league positions, a couple of friendlies and a spike in hospitality now that we have one of the best offerings in the league on that front. There’s been no huge investment from our chairman on the playing budget but rather the infrastructure of the club which is far more beneficial for long term sustainability. 

You have been sniffing glue if you think your chairman isn’t investing a significant sum. 

Edited by Big chungus

4 minutes ago, Big chungus said:

You have been sniffing glue if you think your chairman isn’t investing a significant sum. 

Okay. 

I can see reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit so we’ll leave it there before you get a sore head. 

16 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Christ these posts 🫠

Have you watched the highlights? Miller hit the bar when it was easier to score. Second half we had two chances at least that we should've done far better with.  We had nearly 60 percent possession. We dominated the game but at the end of the day came away with hee haw. You had 4 shots in the entire 90 mins. And don't talk to us about defensive issues we had 3/4 of our back 4 out  and our backup keepers in.

Edited by Shodwall cat

1 minute ago, Shodwall cat said:

Have you watched the highlights? Miller hit the bar when it was easier to score. Second half we had two chances at least that we should've done far better with.  We had nearly 60 percent possession. We dominated the game but at the end of the day came away with hee haw. You had 4 shots in the entire 90 mins. And don't talk to us about defensive issues we had 3/4 of our back 4 out .

Citing possession stats is the calling card of someone who hasn’t got a clue to be honest. Means absolutely nothing. 

Of those four shots, one went in and three were cleared/caught on the line so should we really have scored four goals?

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Citing possession stats is the calling card of someone who hasn’t got a clue to be honest. Means absolutely nothing. 

Of those four shots, one went in and three were cleared/caught on the line so should we really have scored four goals?

One from well out was dubious if it was even going in but sneddon put it wide at the near post so no you shouldn't really have scored 4.  Anyone that watches the highlights can see we dominated the game . Yes means nothing but gives us confidence that when we play you on our patch we have nothing to fear. I didn't think Ayr were anything special and we did okay considering we've just come up from league one and it's a decent step up. 

Edited by Shodwall cat

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Confirms he hasn't watched the highlights and is misremembering what actually happened if they were there 🫥