The Falkirk FC Thread

I suspect Ritchie's aiming at the Hamilton model. Next to no fans, but sell the odd player to balance the books. Saves all the hassle of angry meetings with disillusioned supporters and arguments with experienced managers who actually know what they're talking about.

He also alludes to relegation three years ago as a turning point of the club’s fortunes. “The 12 inches that separated Ryan Flynn’s shot from goal at Kilmarnock three years ago completely changed the nature of our business.”

He also cites the narrow defeat to Hibernian in last season’s Scottish Cup semi-final and Huddersfield Town’s release of Scott Arfield as further mitigating factors on the club’s plight which may force Gary Holt to sell some of his assets:

Holt said: “We are where we are – still paying for a few years ago and fighting to level the boat – if that means selling a player or two, that’s what we’ll have to do because bigger clubs than Falkirk have gone into financial difficulty – we can’t be another.”

What a lot of bollocks. To heap an entire season of failures onto one player missing one chance in one match is deplorable. Why did we go into the final game of the season needing a win against an execrable Kilmarnock?

Who negotiated the terms of Arfield's transfer that allowed such an obvious get-out clause and what kind of amateur, two-bit fan-dan BoD budgets for the full amount in such a deal?

To say that losing the SF against Hibs is a mitigating factor implies that the BoD budgeted on us reaching the final of the Scottish Cup!!

I can't go to the AGM, but I hope someone rips him a new arsehole over those comments.

What a lot of bollocks. To heap an entire season of failures onto one player missing one chance in one match is deplorable. Why did we go into the final game of the season needing a win against an execrable Kilmarnock?

Who negotiated the terms of Arfield's transfer that allowed such an obvious get-out clause and what kind of amateur, two-bit fan-dan BoD budgets for the full amount in such a deal?

To say that losing the SF against Hibs is a mitigating factor implies that the BoD budgeted on us reaching the final of the Scottish Cup!!

I can't go to the AGM, but I hope someone rips him a new arsehole over those comments.

This.

I really don't envy the job that Mr Ritchie has - I'm sure he does many things in the background that we never hear of that are good and proper and for the benefit the club but he repeatedly get's the 'big ones' wrong and guff like his quote above just adds to the frustration !

Mon the Bairns etc.

would not matter who negotiated the Arfield transfer , no fee was involved in the boys move to Burnley, Arfield engineered the move by asking his boss at Huddersfield to release him as he was not getting any match time, Mark Robins complied with the lads wishes and granted him a free which would deem any sell-on clause as null and void,

Absolutely stonewall guaranteed. One or two from Fulton, Kingsley, Alston and McGrandles will be gone in January, and a couple of 17 year olds will be promoted from the U20s to replace them. Simples.

FFC.............the only club in the world that charges 18 quid to watch schools football.

McGrandles is the only sell-able asset we have. The current form of Fulton and Alston = fee heehaw and Kingsley is a smashing player but down south they prefer the left backs taller and built like Arnie.....well the clubs that would be interested in Kingsley......taking Elvis out the equation as he has zero cash to spend....

The cow has been milked dry as far as players to sell.....

I said elsewhere, its complete foolery in simple budgeting for a season, year in year out since we have been relegated. The cost of the stadium, Stirling uni when it was in place and wages are there in as good as black and white of cost. The income outside cup success and merchandise will be there also to draw up a budget to break even or thereabouts. I dont know if those figures include cost of the pitch, I think its paid over 5 yrs, which I am sure is £100,000 a year.... I feckin hope that is included in there which makes the figures a bit better but not ideal that we are depending year in year out on a transfer fee coming in to almost break even whilst playing effectively an under 20 team.

Seems like you guys are still paying for signing over the hill duds in the SPL?

I can't see why the debt would go up though, are you due money and not paying it?

If clubs like Falkirk, who for the most part are doing the right thing with youngsters, go bust then we really should just stop full time football in Scotland.

At least you don't have a total maniac like Masterton at the helm.

would not matter who negotiated the Arfield transfer , no fee was involved in the boys move to Burnley, Arfield engineered the move by asking his boss at Huddersfield to release him as he was not getting any match time, Mark Robins complied with the lads wishes and granted him a free which would deem any sell-on clause as null and void,

That's interesting, but it further goes to illustrate why the BoD shouldn't have been budgeting for the full amount as Ritchie implies.

Question - if you were in the Boards shoes, what would you do? Realistically. I'm not trying to imply they are right or wrong, I'm just interested in what people would differently.

I am tending to think along the same lines. Scottish football as a product/business is fuc*ed. Decreasing attendances, Lack of sponsors, and just overall limited income whilst trying to stay debt free and competitive must be challenging for all clubs. Credit to ours though that they won't put themselves into the mire and hopefully we never have the situation of 15 years ago.

However it's worrying that if it wasn't for directors loans, players transfers and cup runs that we would be in the same predicament as the Fifers, Hertz etc. Its not healthy but its a sign of the times and if we have to continue for a few years with this business plan well then so be it. As long as my team is there every Saturday