The Falkirk FC Thread

At the moment we're heavily relying on Smith or Cooper or both suddenly turning into decent players to give us a chance this season. There's no gurantee either of them will considering there was no improvement in either from the beginning to end of last year.We've known since February that we've needed a replacement for Loy which should've given us a start on the likes of queens who've only lost the likes of Reilly during the close season and yet we're still scraping about now like the rest of them.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I can't see the positivity some if you are feeling

McDonald has gone up to the premier whilst we have got a loan goalkeeper that played at our level last season

Muirhead and McHugh have had injury problems, Smith and Cooper are not guaranteed to turn up every week. McCracken may be a bit slower this season and is also injury prone.

I love some of your enthusiasm but really I've yet to find it...I hope you are right!

Edited by bejazz1

I think we need to be patient with O'Hara. He's barely 16 and in all likelihood will not feature much for the first team this season but may have the odd 10mins from the bench.

I'd much rather he got game time in the U20s and continues to score for fun there.

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

Queens have lost nearly 3/4 of a team, Holt, Durnan, Reilly, Carmichael, Clark, Burns, Mitchell,McKenna, off the top of my head i'm sure there was one or two more.

At the moment we're heavily relying on Smith or Cooper or both suddenly turning into decent players to give us a chance this season. There's no gurantee either of them will considering there was no improvement in either from the beginning to end of last year.We've known since February that we've needed a replacement for Loy which should've given us a start on the likes of queens who've only lost the likes of Reilly during the close season and yet we're still scraping about now like the rest of them.

Keepers

Rodgers and Bowman. Bowman good back up

Backs

Leahy Duffy Dick Maybury

CH

Grant Muirhead McCracken with Vaulks as fall back

Mids

Sibs tiawo Kerr Alston Cooper Smith Vaulks Blair and Grant

Forwards

Baird McHugh Sheppard O'Hara and perhaps Botti

We have many options with those already signed but more up front would help. With an improvement to some of our young players we are already quite strong

This "lazy" (onef) chat is pretty boring now. Do people honestly think Housty waits for the phone to ring?

He's out at games all the time watching players and upcoming teams. He wouldn't still have a managerial career if he didn't after all these years.

He's been a coach/scout since the early 90s FFS.

This is spot on, well said that man.

Queens have lost nearly 3/4 of a team, Holt, Durnan, Reilly, Carmichael, Clark, Burns, Mitchell,McKenna, off the top of my head i'm sure there was one or two more.

Yes and have brought in a number of replacements. No sign of Fowler hanging on for weeks waiting on players signing before getting told to do one. He didn't take up the reins at Queens till last Sept/October and still managed to do a better job in the league than Houston mind you.

This anti Houston bile is getting a bit tiring. Ok he did not win us the Scottish Cup or get us promoted but was it hatband last season? We have a good squad and should only be signing better than we have. A striker with pace would be good. The people who slate him for not signing players are often the same ones who slate him for not developing youth. We can either bring players in and hold back youth development or play youths and take a chance without experience. Some want both

Yes and have brought in a number of replacements. No sign of Fowler hanging on for weeks waiting on players signing before getting told to do one. He didn't take up the reins at Queens till last Sept/October and still managed to do a better job in the league than Houston mind you.

A large portion of their team has been the backbone for years, this season is the first time for a while queens have lost a lot of the backbone, we were similar last season in losing 6

I'm sure Queens will be happy with finishing 5th and a Scottish cup final...

As if... Fowler will be judged on this season, not last season's inherited team of which he added an injured Killie player and an overweight Millar

Glad to see some enthusiasm from bairns fans as this forum was depressing as f**k at one point.

The calls for Houston to be sacked are ridiculous. To finish 5th in a league which consisted of hearts hibs and sevco and also get to the cup final is mental. While also having our top goalscorer injured for the last quarter of the season when we had a tough run of games.

And plus I don't know why people keep asking for us to look further a field for players. Sure we've had some decent finds but if my memory serves me well most teams that win this league or at least do well in it are full of experienced pros usually from the British Isles that know the league. Hearts the exception but the league was very unusual that year. So I don't see the problem with us signing players close to home as long as they are decent and willing to give it their all for the shirt. Playoffs this season are a must but IMO

This anti Houston bile is getting a bit tiring. Ok he did not win us the Scottish Cup or get us promoted but was it hatband last season? We have a good squad and should only be signing better than we have. A striker with pace would be good. The people who slate him for not signing players are often the same ones who slate him for not developing youth. We can either bring players in and hold back youth development or play youths and take a chance without experience. Some want both

If he can't sign players better than Smith and Cooper then we're really going to be in bother. Last year we struggled badly at times with some awful performances against the dregs of the league as we struggled to draws and defeats from the likes of Cowdenbeath, Dumbarton and Livingston.. Now some people seem to expect us to suddenly become a good side overnight simply by changing the goalie and replacing Loy with McHugh. I don't expect us to sign messi but surely we could sign a few decent players instead of the utter dross that Houston has signed in the main so far. 3 or 4 decent signings and there's no reason why we couldn't give hibs a run for the money.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

I know it's all shoulda, woulda, coulda but I see if ICT progress they will likely play West Ham United.

That would have been an epic trip to London.

Wouldn`t we have got St Johnstone`s spot?

We could sign Messi and some people would still find something to moan about to be honest. Not naming any names of course, Shadwell. :P

If we signed Messi people would moan we did not sign Ronaldo.

Wouldn`t we have got St Johnstone`s spot?

Technically we'd have got Inverness's spot and Inverness would've got St Johnstone's.

I wouldn't say I'm optimistic for the upcoming season but there's no real reason to feel any differently than we did this time last year. There's not been much activity transfer wise but keeping players together can be vital. There is of course a debate to be had about whether the quality of the players we're keeping is good enough. The squad still appears to be thin but it's cause dross like Smith and Cooper got two year contracts. If we had quality in those roles it'd make s world of difference. Last season we were always two injuries away from a crisis cause players such as Morgan or Smith were having to start games. Little has changed there.