The Falkirk FC Thread

For a start we still haven't replaced Loy with anywhere near the same standard of player in my opinion. McHugh Would've been a decent backup for him and Baird last season but nothing more. Funnily enough last season McHugh went on loan to Airdrie whilst Houston signed Morgan. If we can get a decent replacement for Loy in then we'll be back to where left off last season. However that being in mind we want to do far better than scrape into 4th surely. The likes of Smith and Cooper are nowhere near good enough and it remains to be seen whether McCracken will last out another full season. Add to that the fact that Sibbald is the only real creative player we have and any injury to him would be a disaster and I'd say 3 or 4 more players are needed at least to give us a decent chance of competing.

Loy was an experienced striker that had played at a half decent level before signing for us. I still don't think he was as good a striker as Taylor but he was a decent player who will be hard to replace. McHugh is a young striker still learning his trade. I reckon he'll be a decent signing in the long run but its a bit much to ask for him to be as good as Loy has been straight away. It just seems to me that we are losing our best players and replacing them with progressively inferior players. For the likes of McGovern we got McDonald, and now a loanee from Aberdeen. Taylor was replaced by Loy and god knows who will replace him. Where once we had Higginbottom we now have the likes of Smith or Cooper. I don't see Kerr or Taiwo as being as good as Miller was either. Our standards are falling every year and we're getting further and further away from where we should be.

For a start we still haven't replaced Loy with anywhere near the same standard of player in my opinion. McHugh Would've been a decent backup for him and Baird last season but nothing more. Funnily enough last season McHugh went on loan to Airdrie whilst Houston signed Morgan. If we can get a decent replacement for Loy in then we'll be back to where left off last season. However that being in mind we want to do far better than scrape into 4th surely. The likes of Smith and Cooper are nowhere near good enough and it remains to be seen whether McCracken will last out another full season. Add to that the fact that Sibbald is the only real creative player we have and any injury to him would be a disaster and I'd say 3 or 4 more players are needed at least to give us a decent chance of competing.

If Sibbald was injured/ sold we have Blair and Grant as raw replacements and both show promise. Whilst Loy worked his socks off every game lets not pretend he was a goalmouth predator. When he was isolated up front he spent most of his time in midfield trying to get the ball. When he did get it there often was nobody in front of him. We needed on out and out front man then and we still do. He will be missed for his industry not his prolific scoring

Agreed

Of the strikers we have had since going down Loy would be behind Farid, Taylor and Higginbotham for me.

I like McHugh when he was at QOS. He is of a good age and proven at this level.

I think a target man type will be the other striker. Someone like Lee Miller would be my hunch but not my choice.

Agreed

Of the strikers we have had since going down Loy would be behind Farid, Taylor and Higginbotham for me.

I like McHugh when he was at QOS. He is of a good age and proven at this level.

I think a target man type will be the other striker. Someone like Lee Miller would be my hunch but not my choice.

I would say only Higgy has actually slightly shown himself to have done something after leaving us, failed again in England but did prove himself at Motherwell and Patrick, Taylor's had about 5 clubs since leaving us and has never reached the highs he had with us and Farid in a similar boat, tho shave off 2 clubs. Loy didnt have a glittering career pre joining us, we had Dunfermline and Killie fans with poor reviews and I can't recall Carlisle fans being bothered

The right time and the right place for them, hopefully McHugh follows suit and hopefully we get another one in to make it a challenge between 3 or 4 of them to start.

Pre season games mean hee haw, it's all about fitness and looking to improve. 4 of the starting line up last night won't start when the real business starts

I'd say we need a right back and striker to compete in a league maybe more competitive, after all we lost Hearts and Cowdenbeath but gained St Mirren and Morton

Jay Fulton playing in a midfield alongside Andre Ayew against Borussia Monchengladbach today is a bizarre thing to see. Would be good to see him getting more game time next season.

Loy was an experienced striker that had played at a half decent level before signing for us. I still don't think he was as good a striker as Taylor but he was a decent player who will be hard to replace. McHugh is a young striker still learning his trade. I reckon he'll be a decent signing in the long run but its a bit much to ask for him to be as good as Loy has been straight away. It just seems to me that we are losing our best players and replacing them with progressively inferior players. For the likes of McGovern we got McDonald, and now a loanee from Aberdeen. Taylor was replaced by Loy and god knows who will replace him. Where once we had Higginbottom we now have the likes of Smith or Cooper. I don't see Kerr or Taiwo as being as good as Miller was either. Our standards are falling every year and we're getting further and further away from where we should be.

McHugh's 24 and made his debut for Motherwell a number of years ago.

Can't disagree with any of this. We are all assuming we don't have any more money worries yet here we are scraping around looking constantly at bargain basement players instead of spending some decent money to capture the signatures of exciting players who will entertain. We are where we are due to penny pinching and a manager that is taking us down to a new low. I am not surprised that some fans are questioning Houston's ability to do his job properly. We have seen Yogi try to take us to the next level and put the club into financial meltdown signing players, paying over the odds tying them up on longer contracts, May coming in being out of his depth. In all truth Steven Pressley undoing Yogi's and Mays mess working with a greatly reduced budget trying to get the club back on an even keel. Holt comes in does a reasonable job after a poor start and almost gets us into a good position. It is fair to say May, Pressley and Holt all had greatly restrictive budgets to work with but Houston does not appear to be under the same constraints... He even told us last year he had money to spend but didn't. How long can this guy get away with taking this club down to a lower level? I just hope we get off to a good starting.. cause if we don't.... Well you know it ain't gonna be pretty! Edited by bejazz1