The Falkirk FC Thread

How long can this guy get away with taking this club down to a lower level?

You don't half talk some pish!! We started off slow last year granted, with the loss of Mcgrandles early on it was always going to be more difficult to recover. We also lost our top goalscorer / one of our best players through injury for a good part of the 2nd half of the season. We had an undefeated run of 9 games which included a trip to Easter Road and Tyncastle. We finished 1 position behind the play-off places to a good Queen of the south side, with the next top 3 spots in the league going to Sevco, Hibs and Hearts. Then if you can remember we reached the Scottish Cup final narrowly missing out on winning it and also gaining a place in Europe.

For you to say that Houston has taken this club to a lower level with all of the above in one season compared to the tenure's of May, Pressley and Holt then you need to keep aff the glue!!

Houston will be judged this season more than last and quite rightly so, there can be no excuse of teething problems etc. But lets let the season start ffs before you start going through a full pack of fanny pads a day!!

I'm willing to give McHugh a try, it's easy to compare him to our more recent strikers and hopefully we get another one in especially if Biabi leaves, but I think he's more in the same situation as Darryl Duffy was when he came to us and that worked out well!

McHugh's 24 and made his debut for Motherwell a number of years ago.

He started 14 games in total in his 8 seasons at Motherwell plus a handfull for Queens and Airdrie. Compare that to Loy who had far more experience of first team football when he arrived. McHugh may be 24 but he's played far less football than the likes of Sibbald whose what 20.

You don't half talk some pish!! We started off slow last year granted, with the loss of Mcgrandles early on it was always going to be more difficult to recover. We also lost our top goalscorer / one of our best players through injury for a good part of the 2nd half of the season. We had an undefeated run of 9 games which included a trip to Easter Road and Tyncastle. We finished 1 position behind the play-off places to a good Queen of the south side, with the next top 3 spots in the league going to Sevco, Hibs and Hearts. Then if you can remember we reached the Scottish Cup final narrowly missing out on winning it and also gaining a place in Europe.

For you to say that Houston has taken this club to a lower level with all of the above in one season compared to the tenure's of May, Pressley and Holt then you need to keep aff the glue!!

Houston will be judged this season more than last and quite rightly so, there can be no excuse of teething problems etc. But lets let the season start ffs before you start going through a full pack of fanny pads a day!!

Unlike you, I am not believing the hype.

We did get off to a slow start

We did lose McGrandles

We did have a purple patch...grant you that

Loy wouldn't have been such a miss if PH would have spent some money strengthening his squad instead of the likes of

Morgan, Boulding, Smith, Cooper. IMO we failed due to Houstons lack of activity

We finished 5th losing as many goals as we scored, 7 points behind QOS who we were above the previous season

We did reach the SCF and all the hype that goes with it...yes we were unlucky but we had a favourable run where we never played any team above us and yes we were unlucky not so win it but the bottom line is, we didn't against a tiring 10 man team who were against the ropes...but we still blew it

We will see how he does this year. Let's not kid ourselves here, the football under Pressley was awful to watch but even he had a purple patch for 6 months.

Holt's tenure was not as bad as some are making out...we did make the play offs!!!

It's no consolation to say we finished behind a good QOS side. When you watch your team struggle to compete with Dumbarton, Livvy and QOS in vital games...it says it all really!

Where is the hype this year, why are we not feeling that high of just missing out on winning the SCF and competing in Europe?

This may or may not be the trick of the Falkirk Tv cameras but I thought Smith looked to have a very positive impact on the Hamilton game. He created a goal from a very isolated position on the right wing and seemed to put one or two more crosses into decent areas. Hopefully he has a bit of fire in his belly now that he is fighting for relevance in the upcoming season.

Have I got it wrong? Did he fall over the ball put 3 crosses in the South Stand that were conveniently left out the highlghts?

He needs to be given a chance and I believe he will do well.

I think he'll do well too but its too much to ask for him to replace loy from day 1 this season. We badly need a striker and another couple in asap or we'll start with a weaker team than we finished last season with. Its not going to be easy to get quality in at this late stage though and thats the managers fault.

Some people have really got it in for Houston. Last season wasn't spectacular in the league but with The Rangers, Hearts and Hibs in the league we realistically weren't going anywhere. No matter what the run, it's a great achievement to get to the Scottish cup final and I'd take that over 4th place and a playoff any day!

It's true that 5th again this year would be a disaster right enough.

This may or may not be the trick of the Falkirk Tv cameras but I thought Smith looked to have a very positive impact on the Hamilton game. He created a goal from a very isolated position on the right wing and seemed to put one or two more crosses into decent areas. Hopefully he has a bit of fire in his belly now that he is fighting for relevance in the upcoming season.

Have I got it wrong? Did he fall over the ball put 3 crosses in the South Stand that were conveniently left out the highlghts?

Nope, Smith & Cooper came on and didn't play too badly at all to be honest

Sent from my iPhone using Pie & Bovril

How did Bowman play? Any good?

Don't think he gave Houston anything to ponder to be honest. Let down by his defence for the first 2 goals but 3rd goal was a bit of a shocker, even though the back pass from Kerr was ridiculous. We had a trialist goalkeeper on the bench, why he didn't play part of it I don't know. Unfortunately, I don't think Bowman is going get his chance under Houston and there is a few different reasons why

Was interesting to listen to Houstons' post match comments about Hamilton and their physicality. He stated we won't face a team like that in the Championship, which may well be true but is he seriously accepting that as it won't matter for our season ahead. Hamilton done well last season but the gap isn't that much between them and us

I think he'll do well too but its too much to ask for him to replace loy from day 1 this season. We badly need a striker and another couple in asap or we'll start with a weaker team than we finished last season with. Its not going to be easy to get quality in at this late stage though and thats the managers fault.

Still another striker to come in before the East fife game hopefully.

But these new signings should be in for pre season training and then the friendly matches. We shouldn't be scraping around on the eve of the season looking for a first choice striker. At the end of the day we aren't learning from previous mistakes where bad starts to the season over the last two campaigns have cost us.

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/who-new-swansea-city-striker-9649202

How about speaking to Swansea about a loan move for this boy? Scotland under 19 international, ex Man United and scored 5 in 14 on loan in the Conference last season with rave reviews for his all around play. We must know someone down there after all the players we've sold them and they'd probably pay a chunk of the wages.

Edited by Marshmallo

That's Liam Craig signed for St Johnstone. Unfortunate as I would have liked to see him turn out for us again.

Yes, I thought that would happen...obviously we cannot or are not willing to compete in financial terms, pretty sad really!