The Falkirk FC Thread

Anybody else getting a wee bit jealous at the amount of signings other clubs are making in our league?

I understand the money we paid over and above the season ticket has been used to secure the likes of Tait, Ross etc.

However I yearn for a wee signature emoji or incoming soon teaser on social media. I think we need at least another 2 minimum.

Probably be loans later on. Maybe it is just me!

1 hour ago, AriG-FFC said:

Anybody else getting a wee bit jealous at the amount of signings other clubs are making in our league?

I understand the money we paid over and above the season ticket has been used to secure the likes of Tait, Ross etc.

However I yearn for a wee signature emoji or incoming soon teaser on social media. I think we need at least another 2 minimum.

I get where you’re coming from, but many of these clubs had a bit more work to with bringing players in, where we had many already signed. Albeit with the news that we’ve got a couple of defenders sidelined so early, think we’d all like to see a couple of loans in before the real games kick off. Any updates on Donaldson? 

1 hour ago, AriG-FFC said:

Think we’ve done really well to get Ross and Tait signed permanently. We also have a team spirit and confidence that no one else will have.

My one slight concern is that we haven’t yet strengthened the starting 11 from last season. Appreciate we competed well with championship sides last season but there’s a difference between one off matches and a 36 game season.

Don’t think anyone wants wholesale changes but I do think a few pieces of quality could make a big impact to what is already a good squad.

On 29/06/2024 at 08:03, PedroMoutinho said:

Think we’ve done really well to get Ross and Tait signed permanently. We also have a team spirit and confidence that no one else will have.

My one slight concern is that we haven’t yet strengthened the starting 11 from last season. Appreciate we competed well with championship sides last season but there’s a difference between one off matches and a 36 game season.

Don’t think anyone wants wholesale changes but I do think a few pieces of quality could make a big impact to what is already a good squad.

I would assume Armstrong McKenna is seen as strengthening the starting 11 as competition to McIver.  I would also like to see Jordan Allen given a chance in the friendlies etc as a nr 10. It's not his position but he could learn and he got very close to scoring last season in a number of games and he scored loads during loan. If it doesn;t work then we send him out again.

Edit: I had a stroke and clearly I am still under its influence or I'm senile. No idea why I wrote Armstrong. when I meant McKenna. I also thoought he led the line which is down tonot knowing much about him. Do forgive, its not like I'm writing a book on Falkirk or something....

Edited by Kevin James Left Knee

15 minutes ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I would assume Armstrong is seen as strengthening the starting 11 as competition to McIver.  I would also like to see Jordan Allen given a chance in the friendlies etc as a nr 10. It's not his position but he could learn and he got very close to scoring last season in a number of games and he scored loads during loan. If it doesn;t work then we send him out again.

🤔

McKenna?

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

I would assume Armstrong is seen as strengthening the starting 11 as competition to McIver.  I would also like to see Jordan Allen given a chance in the friendlies etc as a nr 10. It's not his position but he could learn and he got very close to scoring last season in a number of games and he scored loads during loan. If it doesn;t work then we send him out again.

As far as I can see, McKenna played almost exclusively at no 10 or deeper in midfield for Arbroath last season so I’d be very surprised if he’d been brought in to play as a striker (except in an emergency).

For me Allan is a good no 9 who just doesn’t suit our style of play and I’m not sure he’d be particularly effective playing deeper. Realistically, he’d also be fourth choice at best in that position after Nesbitt, McKenna and Oliver. 

I think it would make more sense for all parties for him to move on to get game time and hopefully free up some funds. 

1 hour ago, Kevin James Left Knee said:

Allen for me will end up possibly as an outgoing loan/swap deal. Hardly got a sniff last year and unless he gets off to a flyer with goals, don’t think he’ll be here.

McKenna was top scorer in the championship and also POTY only the season before last playing as a number 10, I’d suggest he has indeed been brought in to improve the starting 11 in the short term however absolutely nobody should automatically dislodge any of our current squad as it stands, those players have earned the jerseys and it’s up to anybody new coming in to prove themselves as better first. Competition is healthy. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

8 minutes ago, LatapyBairn. said:

McKenna was top scorer in the championship and also POTY only the season before last playing as a number 10, I’d suggest he has indeed been brought in to improve the starting 11 in the short term however absolutely nobody should automatically dislodge any of our current squad as it stands, those players have earned the jerseys and it’s up to anybody new coming in to prove themselves as better first. Competition is healthy. 

Nesbitt has consistently been a favourite of  McGlynn. May be wrong but I can’t see him being benched for a 33 year old.

It's entirely possible we see a fair bit of chopping and changing in the first quarter when we lose a game or two.  

I've said before I'd have liked us to try to get better than extending Shanleys contract as challenger for MacIvor but I think its defensively we need to strengthen most.  We're very good going forward but I think we'll concede a fair few with our keepers and when back up options have to come into the back 4.   We'll be put under a lot more pressure this season and up against some decent attacks.  

34 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

Nesbitt has consistently been a favourite of  McGlynn. May be wrong but I can’t see him being benched for a 33 year old.

It’s always simply down performances, if Nisbet continues to perform to the levels he has been he’ll be in there on merit and will be an asset to us. If he does not perform then McKenna has the quality and experience at this level to take his place. McKenna is also a former Mcglynn player who he tried to bring in last pre season but failed, the fact the manager has persued him again this pre season speaks volumes given McGlynns record in the transfer market. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

If McKenna is a straight 10, we are well covered for the starting slots. Interesting to see how McGlynn uses the squad this term, as above post, I agree that there will be a small rotation of some key midfielders depending on how the opposition lines up. We’ll face better and different formations this year. 

9 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Would this be considered a fairly strong Falkirk side? Our line up is hard to understand with a fair few starters missing so I'm not expecting much silky football from our side. 

I would say so.

Donaldson missing at CB through injury but Henderson is a more than adequate replacement there. Just noticed McCann is still out as well so Mackie replaces him.

Only Oliver in the 10 and Shanley up front are outside of our strongest 11 I would say (which would be Nesbitt and MacIver). I suppose theres a chance we'll be mixing up the formation a bit but reckon it will be the usual 4-2-3-1 

So 4 players away from full strength. Hopefully the new guys, Allan and the young gets get a decent run out from the bench 

Edited by NavyBlueArmy1876