The Falkirk FC Thread

5 minutes ago, AGPar said:

A game played on 7th August 2010. Since when he has played against us on countless occasions and I struggle to remember a single worthwhile contribution. 33 years old, well past his best and currently knocking about in that woeful Partick side. Another De Vita. No thanks

Andy Kirk started that game for Dunfermline and he's been retired for 6 years

14 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Cardle has basically done f**k all since turning in a good performance against Hearts about 3 years ago.

Ricky Burns slapping his brother about the place was a good laugh though.

Had a good season for us that year, him getting injured really derailed our season, him coming on as a sub up in Inverness was pivotal for us getting the draw and getting into the playoffs, I beleive he got the assist for the 2nd goal. 

Fell foul of AJ and went down to Fylde for half a season where their fans seemed to like him, didn't settle and take his family with him though so he finished the season with Partick, where I was under the impression he actually done quite well. 

However no secrets that he didn't seem to have a good season last season, then again that happened with a good few players last season. He's always been a good championship winger, inconsistent but he would finish the season with good figures and if he went on a hot run of form it was beautiful to see. His fitness is still a high standard and he absolutely rinsed this division when he was last down, he's levels above Aidan Connolly, if he was available you'd be pretty mental to turn your noses up at him. 

2 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

Had a good season for us that year, him getting injured really derailed our season, him coming on as a sub up in Inverness was pivotal for us getting the draw and getting into the playoffs, I beleive he got the assist for the 2nd goal. 

Fell foul of AJ and went down to Fylde for half a season where their fans seemed to like him, didn't settle and take his family with him though so he finished the season with Partick, where I was under the impression he actually done quite well. 

However no secrets that he didn't seem to have a good season last season, then again that happened with a good few players last season. He's always been a good championship winger, inconsistent but he would finish the season with good figures and if he went on a hot run of form it was beautiful to see. His fitness is still a high standard and he absolutely rinsed this division when he was last down, he's levels above Aidan Connolly, if he was available you'd be pretty mental to turn your noses up at him. 

Was only 4 years ago he ripped up league one. People on here talking as if he had done nothing since 2010 ffs.

Aidan Connolly changed a lot when Miller and McCracken came in. Far more direct, far more end product. Really looked to drive into the box with the ball and also making late runs into the box and grabbed a few goals.

I personally want to see more of that than Joe Cardle. Hes finished, and I have this niggling feeling that hes a bell end.

13 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Mcmanus had done very little either over the past few seasons but like cardle we knew he could rip up this league and he did .  Mcmanus only scored 2 goals the year before and yet hit 20 odd for us. What happens if we'd said the same about him. Ah he's done very little for the last few seasons so why sign him.  Agnew at East fife is 33 still managed to score ten goals from Midfield last season in league one. We need players that we know can perform in this league and not players that have played at a bigher level but have no experience of league one. I just reckon he'd do a decent job for us but only time will tell if he stays with thistle.

McManus, at the time of signing, was nine years younger than Cardle is now. If you call making 30+ appearances the season before for a team who strolled to the Championship the season before as having "done very little" then fair enough. Thistle fans have been watching him for the past two years and I'll take their judgement on what he like as a player nowadays rather than casting back to some game ten years ago. If Joe Cardle is the answer I'd love to know the question. Anyway, he is under contract at Partick so it is not even an issue, thank god.

8 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Was only 4 years ago he ripped up league one. People on here talking as if he had done nothing since 2010 ffs.

AJ wasn't a great manager but he understood league one pretty well, 442, two pacey wide players, 2 busy strikers and press at good times, counter quickly, absolutely nothing complicated about it. Following the season before where we'd made an absolute c**t of it, it was such a relief. He had the exact same gameplan when his QoTS side swept aside everyone a couple of seasons previous. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Aidan Connolly changed a lot when Miller and McCracken came in. Far more direct, far more end product. Really looked to drive into the box with the ball and also making late runs into the box and grabbed a few goals.

I personally want to see more of that than Joe Cardle. Hes finished, and I have this niggling feeling that hes a bell end.

You're funeral I suppose, I'm not sure who you've got on the other side. 

If he was a bellend you'd get on great together x

3 minutes ago, AGPar said:

McManus, at the time of signing, was nine years younger than Cardle is now. If you call making 30+ appearances the season before for a team who strolled to the Championship the season before as having "done very little" then fair enough. Thistle fans have been watching him for the past two years and I'll take their judgement on what he like as a player nowadays rather than casting back to some game ten years ago. If Joe Cardle is the answer I'd love to know the question. Anyway, he is under contract at Partick so it is not even an issue, thank god.

He only started 12 games and scored 2 goals. He was  no more than a bit part player but he still did fine for us.  Stainrod was 32 when he signed for us. Age means feck all if they can do the business.

9 minutes ago, AGPar said:

Agree with this. I think over the past two or three seasons we as a club have been becoming more and more guilty of looking too far back to see a players credentials, and assuming they can still do a similar job. I think other clubs and their fans have been guilty of this too tbf based just on looking about this forum. Cardle would be a very unsurprising signing for us and for me would absolutely go into that bracket. A few lessons need to have been learned from the last few seasons and signing the likes of Dowds, regardless of how well he does, might point to that being the case. We need to be able to recognise when a good player is over the tipping point. 

9 minutes ago, Grant228 said:

If he was a bellend you'd get on great together x

I dont think you mean that. 

You'd like to think M&M will know the weaknesses and where we need to strengthen by now.  There will be a lot more players to choose from, young guys like Dowds might be worth a punt if we can get some better quality to supplement them.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Agree with this. I think over the past two or three seasons we as a club have been becoming more and more guilty of looking too far back to see a players credentials, and assuming they can still do a similar job. I think other clubs and their fans have been guilty of this too tbf based just on looking about this forum. Cardle would be a very unsurprising signing for us and for me would absolutely go into that bracket. A few lessons need to have been learned from the last few seasons and signing the likes of Dowds, regardless of how well he does, might point to that being the case. We need to be able to recognise when a good player is over the tipping point. 

I dont think you mean that. 

Wasn't that long ago he was scoring goals for fun in  league one.  If we were in the championship I'd have my doubts but I reckon he could still easily do a better job than the players we have on our books just now.

Wasn't that long ago he was scoring goals for fun in  league one.  If we were in the championship I'd have my doubts but I reckon he could still easily do a better job than the players we have on our books just now.
We dont have a team on our books just now though so that's not relevant. What's relevant is whether he can do a better job than anyone else that's within our reach and I would confidently say that answer to that is no.

7 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
9 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

We dont have a team on our books just now though so that's not relevant. What's relevant is whether he can do a better job than anyone else that's within our reach and I would confidently say that answer to that is no.

He scored his 14 goals in 2015/16. Mcmanus had his only decent goal scoring year previously in 2014/15. So cardle had shown form at this level more recently than mcmanus funnily  enough.

He's a better player than connolly who will be in our squad next season

Edited by Shadwell Dog

He scored his 14 goals in 2015/16. Mcmanus had his only decent goal scoring year previously in 2014/15. So cardle had shown form at this level more recently than mcmanus funnily  enough.
He's a better player than connolly who will be in our squad next season

Joe Cardle is 33. His best years are far behind him and he looked completely done last season for Partick. Dunfermline had him in his prime and he ripped this league to shreds. He’s 5 years older now. It’s incredibly naive to think that Cardle will go on to replicate the form he showed all those years ago in what was a much weaker league.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Joe Cardle is 33. His best years are far behind him and he looked completely done last season for Partick. Dunfermline had him in his prime and he ripped this league to shreds. He’s 5 years older now. It’s incredibly naive to think that Cardle will go on to replicate the form he showed all those years ago in what was a much weaker league.

You can't get much weaker than it is the now. Mcmanus is the classic example . Struggles to score goals in the championship but can do it for fun in league one.  Don't let us making a hash of it fool you that its a lot stronger than back then.

Edited by Shadwell Dog

3 hours ago, gav-ffc said:

St Johnstone would only have taken him back if they would have offloaded all his wage in January which they couldn’t do.

Tbf they apparently spent the majority of the window offering him to clubs around Ireland. 

3 hours ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Shouldve swapped him for maclean then.

MacLean wasn't a St Johnstone player.

Edited by RandomGuy.