The Falkirk FC Thread

8 hours ago, bairn88 said:

Any rumours/knowledge on pre season games? Would even take a 4 day tour of north England at this stage. 

We haven't had a preseason tour since we were relegated from the Championship and I doubt there will be one until we're back there. 

There will be several closed-door games and two open to fans, one away and one home after the pitch has been laid. The club will announce details in the weeks to come. I suspect the home one will take place on our "free" Saturday during the league cup rounds. 

32 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

I know this makes me sound like one of those fucking Stockport County fans who sees their striker sign for a Scottish side and starts giving it "He'll get 30 goals in that farmer's league", but Brad Spencer could easily be the most technically accomplished player in League One next season. 

That's not to say he'll be an absolute standout every week or that his game doesn't have its weaknesses, but if you want a midfielder who'll drop back to pick the ball up from the defence, shift the ball up the park, make himself available for a pass at basically all times and very rarely give the ball away, I don't think you'll see better at this level. 

I was surprised the Rovers didn't do more to keep him, but it looks increasingly like Murray just doesn't see the need for that slow build, possession focus at the base of his midfield. McGlynn absolutely does, and I'm not surprised in the slightest that he's after Spencer. 

You'll still need someone alongside him doing the tackling and the hard yards (although he's far from a luxury player) and you'll need decent bodies ahead of him to create and finish chances, but he's a proper cornerstone for a working midfield. 

If he's staying in Scotland, and that didn't always seem like the most likely scenario, I'm surprised another Championship club hasn't picked him up. 

Good of you to describe Harry Cochrane there. Now what does Brad Spencer bring?

Signing Spencer and Lang has probably just about confirmed your title victory this season. Great business, wouldn’t have minded if both had stayed at the rovers, though not too fussed either has left.

Spencer just isn’t a Murray player, doesn’t fit the style he wants us to play, but is 100% a McGlynn player. Lang has his moments, will he better next to a sweeper-style defender and he’s a bit quick to close down attackers now and again, had the occasional mistake in him. Both are also classic McGlynn signings as they have had a few ACL injuries in their past…

It wasn’t for no reason that RaithTV used to call Spencer “the insurance policy” because of the number of times he’d break up attacks (and often find the perfect outlet to start a counter).