The Falkirk FC Thread

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Does anyone honestly think McGlynn is going to be sacked based on losing a friendly match ? That’s never going to happen nor should it.

Even if we lose all our league cup group games he won’t get sacked.

This season is all about promotion - the board believe McGlynn is the man to get that so let’s see how it plays out.

Maybe just maybe the board are concerned at this time too?

It has to be alarming that we have 5 centre backs and no right back, we have 8 attacking players to fill 4 positions whilst having only Brad Spencer and McGinn who’s taking painkilling injections to fill the two holding positions. With no budget left I’m concerned how imbalanced the squad is. The excuse for last season was Mcglynn still had Holt players even though he signed 18 players! 

Whilst I hope we run away with the league and have some good runs in the cup I already feel we’ll be doing so by making things harder for ourselves than it should be.

Edited by Juan Sheet

30 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

For Tuesday's game I'd go with the below. McGinn & Spencer together in games we're dominating the ball doesn't work and Morrison needs to play on the right hand side. I suspect we'll see Mackie over Mccann again but he doesn't offer enough going forward for me.

Hogarth
Yeats Donaldson Lang Mccann
Oliver Spencer
Lawal
Morrison MacIver Agyeman

Still needing some energy/power in the middle of the park, a right back and another option upfront but getting through to the next stage of the cup should help hurry those signings on.

That line up would do me. This idea yesterday of bringing Ola on in the holding/defensive midfield role didn’t work and hopefully McGlynn recognised that. We don’t need two there, Spencer against Bonnyrigg done the job there himself with Oliver dropping deep to help if required. Ola can play the no. 10 role just behind McIver with Agyeman and Morrison on the wings.

I’ve a feeling though the over cautious manager will opt for both McGinn and Spencer in the midfield and it didn’t work yesterday, they got in each others way and McGinn looks gubbed. Also he needs to cease with bringing Allan on as a lone striker as it doesn’t work either. Try him in the league cup at times with McIver who seems to win his fair share in the air but knocks it down for no one.

As I’ve said countless times I’ll give McGlynn the benefit of the doubt but he has to learn from previous mistakes and recognise when things aren’t working. I’m not going to panic after a preseason friendly but if things aren’t going right after half a dozen league games then I think McGlynn will really feel the wrath of the crowd, especially if he’s sticking with his heavy possession but lack of creativity style of play.

25 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

It has to be alarming that we have 5 centre backs and no right back, we have 8 attacking players to fill 4 positions whilst having only Brad Spencer and McGinn who’s taking painkilling injections to fill the two holding positions. With no budget left I’m concerned how imbalanced the squad is. The excuse for last season was Mcglynn still had Holt players even though he signed 18 players! 

Whilst I hope we run away with the league and have some good runs in the cup I already feel we’ll be doing by making things harder for ourselves than it should be.

Good summary and why a RB wasn’t high on McGlynns shopping list is quite baffling, really like Yeats but never a RB.

2 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Does anyone honestly think McGlynn is going to be sacked based on losing a friendly match ? That’s never going to happen nor should it.

Even if we lose all our league cup group games he won’t get sacked.

This season is all about promotion - the board believe McGlynn is the man to get that so let’s see how it plays out.

We do need to see how this plays out when competitive games start in earnest on Tuesday. Yes, it was a meaningless friendly yesterday, however, the starting 11 looked to be the one he will probably go with (with injuries accounted for). We were missing Miller, Nesbitt and Hendo. The setup of the team didn’t fill me with confidence that McGlynn has changed his way of thinking. We’ll know for sure when the real stuff begins.

We seem to be entering a world of ever decreasing circles here. Sure, it’s impossible to offer up objective critical opinion on something you did not see or experience. Keep in mind that those self same rules need to apply to positive reactions from those who weren’t there either. Currently, that is treated with mild amusement and general acceptance.

Where the signals are being lost is in the interpretation of what we are seeing on the park. Defeats, wins, draws…….at this point, none of that truly matters.

What does matter, and what is the real issue is the manner in which we are setting up for games. Last season (at least for me) showed McGlynn to be stuck in a rut. Of what I have seen this season, he is still in the same place. His only way out of it feels like more expensive/better players operating in exactly the same system……..a system that has been less than stellar with RR or us.

I doubt very much that the same old same old from McGlynn is going to be switched up to something a bit more adventurous in August………if it were, there would be clear signs of it being trialed in the last few games……but it didn’t happen…….and it’s that approach that is a genuine concern…………not winning losing or drawing games at this stage in the season.

59 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

For Tuesday's game I'd go with the below. McGinn & Spencer together in games we're dominating the ball doesn't work and Morrison needs to play on the right hand side. I suspect we'll see Mackie over Mccann again but he doesn't offer enough going forward for me.

Hogarth
Yeats Donaldson Lang Mccann
Oliver Spencer
Lawal
Morrison MacIver Agyeman

Still needing some energy/power in the middle of the park, a right back and another option upfront but getting through to the next stage of the cup should help hurry those signings on.

I take it Calvin Miller is out for a while ?

51 minutes ago, Juan Sheet said:

Whilst I hope we run away with the league and have some good runs in the cup I already feel we’ll be doing so by making things harder for ourselves than it should be.

I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said other than the board have backed McGlynn in 3 consecutive windows now - I don’t think they’ll sack him before the league games start.

2 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I take it Calvin Miller is out for a while ?

I've not heard anything hopefully him, Hendo, Nesbitt and Sinclair were just rested as a precaution but given he wasn't in the squad I've just assumed he won't be starting on Tuesday.

2 minutes ago, FFC 1876 said:

I've not heard anything hopefully him, Hendo, Nesbitt and Sinclair were just rested as a precaution but given he wasn't in the squad I've just assumed he won't be starting on Tuesday.

I might be wrong but I could have swore Sinclair came on at left centre half yesterday 

32 minutes ago, Springfield said:

Good summary and why a RB wasn’t high on McGlynns shopping list is quite baffling, really like Yeats but never a RB.

Maybe the right player just wasn't ever there? Of the rumours that were floated we've not exactly missed out on much by not signing Tumilty or Lee Hodson.

I'd have been happy with Kyle Macdonald right enough but even Dunfermline fans said he was better as a right winger.

Edited by FFC 1876

I watched the highlights of the game.  While realising it is cherry picked to show the "best" bits, I still saw a number of positive things.  Agyeman slippery and forceful run up to our goal was great.  It looks like he's going to be a real handful, something we've not had in a good while. The same two standout problems we have were still there though, lame finishing - best demonstrated by Morrison's soft shots which ended up as pass backs to the goal keeper.  The other is obviously being statues in defence sometimes leading to letting in needless goals.

If these weaknesses are dealt with I can see us doing well this season. Aye but there lies the rub.  Is it going to happen?

For me the season is full of promise and possibilities.  Let's see what happens.

9 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

We seem to be entering a world of ever decreasing circles here. Sure, it’s impossible to offer up objective critical opinion on something you did not see or experience. Keep in mind that those self same rules need to apply to positive reactions from those who weren’t there either. Currently, that is treated with mild amusement and general acceptance.

Where the signals are being lost is in the interpretation of what we are seeing on the park. Defeats, wins, draws…….at this point, none of that truly matters.

What does matter, and what is the real issue is the manner in which we are setting up for games. Last season (at least for me) showed McGlynn to be stuck in a rut. Of what I have seen this season, he is still in the same place. His only way out of it feels like more expensive/better players operating in exactly the same system……..a system that has been less than stellar with RR or us.

I doubt very much that the same old same old from McGlynn is going to be switched up to something a bit more adventurous in August………if it were, there would be clear signs of it being trialed in the last few games……but it didn’t happen…….and it’s that approach that is a genuine concern…………not winning losing or drawing games at this stage in the season.

I thought we created a lot more with the set up in the first half against Bonnyrigg but a lot of that could be down to the levels of the opposition.

The boy sitting next to me yesterday said he’d heard McGinn is getting injections to play, if that’s the case then it’s crazy to be doing this for a preseason friendly. I thought yesterday we looked like a league one side and Arbroath looked a league above us. They looked far fitter and had much more physicality about them. 

21 minutes ago, Springfield said:

I think you honestly don't get it.

Why was a RB not his priority? The fact that he hasn't signed one doesn't mean he hasn't been looking. He said himself that we need one. The fact is, none of us know what moves have been made behind the scenes. 

I think a RB is a must and I'm confident that he'll be trying to get something done, however I'm more concerned at the reports of still playing the same way while persisting with this one up front shite. 

18 minutes ago, Duncan Freemason said:

A small concession I can offer McGlynn is that he seems to start with MacIver and Alfie upfront, with Oliver in behind. That’s 2 up top. Then he would switch back to diamond in the 2nd half, with Allan upfront on his own, which is harsh on Allan as he gets zero support. 

1 hour ago, Juan Sheet said:

Whilst I hope we run away with the league and have some good runs in the cup I already feel we’ll be doing by making things harder for ourselves than it should be.

A squad of 19 (even 20 if we can get a right back in) is tight at the best of times but the lack of balance we have concerns me.

Lots of options at centre half and left back but no right backs. Then we have only really two natural centre mid options (with the other having to play at right back) and no box to box players. Three players who are probably best at number 10 and four who can play upfront in a 1 up top formation, none of whom are natural goal scorers.

Maybe been done to death but you do wonder if better options could’ve been brought in if the 3 extensions hadn’t been handed out/included in contracts.

Edited by PedroMoutinho

2 minutes ago, PedroMoutinho said:

A squad of 19 (even 20 if we can get a right back in) is tight at the best of times but the lack of balance we have concerns me.

Lots of options at centre half and left back but no right backs. Then we have only really two natural centre mid options (with the other having to play at right back) and no box to box players. Three players who are probably best at number 10 and four who can play upfront in a 1 up top formation, none of whom are natural goal scorers.

I think Allan could score goals but he cannot play the lone role. Most of the time Allan gets a chance he puts it on target but he doesn’t get enough game time or support to show us what he can do. Allan for me has been a January panic buy that McGlynn has done to try and cover Juan Alegria leaving but he isn’t the same type of player.

20 minutes ago, ShaggerG said:

I think you honestly don't get it.

Why was a RB not his priority? The fact that he hasn't signed one doesn't mean he hasn't been looking. He said himself that we need one. The fact is, none of us know what moves have been made behind the scenes. 

I think a RB is a must and I'm confident that he'll be trying to get something done, however I'm more concerned at the reports of still playing the same way while persisting with this one up front shite. 

No matter what JM says it obviously wasn’t a priority if he’s spent his budget on players in positions that weren’t as much of a necessity. He says he wants quality over quantity, so he’s now left with the option of getting a cheap loan in or nothing, hardly quality in an area of need. Unless he’s planning on moving a player on to free up some funds.

No doubt he knows we need a right back, but he’s signed a centre back when we already had 4. He signed two centre forwards when we already had 2 and as you say only plays one up front. His signings even suggest we’d change formation to something like 3-5-2 but he’s stuck to his 4-2-3-1.

As I said previously if we are going to be successful this season it already seems like we’ll be doing it whilst making things harder than they need to be.