The Falkirk FC Thread

14 hours ago, Hughsie said:

No point looking at the league table at the moment but one thing I would say is; does anybody think we’re capable of going away to Edinburgh or Montrose and winning easily by 2 or 3 goals. I can’t see it and that’s worrying for me.

Yes, why in earth not. Have you even watched us this season? 

14 hours ago, Blame Me said:

Indeed. Fed up hearing about exorbitant budgets when those that have seemingly had them have spent them far better than we have!

Cheer up

10 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Nothing less than 3 points for me mate.

I like you as a poster mate, but don't become one of them and get wound up by something that hasn't even happened yet. Take the game in context, have a pint, then share your gripes or joy. Live laugh love as they have tattooed in slamannan 

Edited by Believe The Hype

10 hours ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

I’m not bothered about Montrose tbh and I’m certainly not using them as any sort of yardstick.

ps. You’ll get greenies for your post.

I was only pointing out that you had said we got a result against an under strength Cove side. Listening to Hartley they seem to be running with this squad plus Fyvie and Yuill by the look. It is not as if they are going bring in tons more. Remember too this under strength Cove side went to Hamilton twice and should have won the LC game and by all accounts were unlucky to lose the league game. 
Maybe the point last week was not so bad on reflection. I certainly thought it was two dropped at the time (which it was considering how the game went) but the performance was encouraging. 

5 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

I was only pointing out that you had said we got a result against an under strength Cove side. Listening to Hartley they seem to be running with this squad plus Fyvie and Yuill by the look. It is not as if they are going bring in tons more. Remember too this under strength Cove side went to Hamilton twice and should have won the LC game and by all accounts were unlucky to lose the league game. 
Maybe the point last week was not so bad on reflection. I certainly thought it was two dropped at the time (which it was considering how the game went) but the performance was encouraging. 

If Fyvie and Yuill are 2 regulars then does that mean they were short by 4 key starters on Saturday?

Would you not say that was our best 11 that we started with on Saturday? 

55 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

If Fyvie and Yuill are 2 regulars then does that mean they were short by 4 key starters on Saturday?

Would you not say that was our best 11 that we started with on Saturday? 

We were not discussing our squad but hey Ho. Not sure but close to it.  Nesbitt and MacKie probably would push for a start and I would prefer Hogarth in goal. A fit McGinn would also play if he could get back to the standard of pre March this year. Sadly he looks like he is struggling though. However McGlynn doesn’t have many options if players get injured or lose form.  Lawal been a big disappointment this season so far. 

Edited by Mr Grimsdale

11 hours ago, Harry Kinnear said:

We will agree to disagree, I think he has a cautious mindset who’s main priority is not losing rather than going out and going for the throat of the opposing teams.

I think 100% the opposite. I have never seen us in any game McGlynn has been in charge where we have sat off the game and allowed the other side the ball. Even against the likes of Hibs, Aye and Inverness we had a lot of the ball.  Where we have not been good enough IMO is having a solid back four and keeper who make very few mistakes. 

2 hours ago, Springfield said:

Think it’s already been covered, CR will continue to attract (players outwith the SPL) for top wages, most other teams in both the divisions outwith the SPL can’t get near. The only issue they may experience is going fully over to full time football, which might restrict some players giving up the day job/relocation. 

That and surely the money can't be a bottomless pit . They must be hemorrhaging cash . I'm sure someone quoted millions in debt recently. Is that sustainable in the longer term who knows I suppose but there crowds haven't improved at all to ease the burden that's for sure.

31 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

I think 100% the opposite. I have never seen us in any game McGlynn has been in charge where we have sat off the game and allowed the other side the ball. Even against the likes of Hibs, Aye and Inverness we had a lot of the ball.  Where we have not been good enough IMO is having a solid back four and keeper who make very few mistakes. 

Apart from the home game against Alloa last season where we were 3 up in about 15/20 mins when have we come out and really gone for a team. I’m not disagreeing we don’t have a lot of the ball but passing it back and forward across midfield/defence in my opinion isn’t really going at a team. All about opinions though.

1 hour ago, Believe The Hype said:

We have scored 5 goals in 2 games. I have no idea why you don't think we could beat Edinburgh or montrose 2 0 or why you are worried about it. 

Hamilton and Cove seem to have found their legs in this league right away going by their results and apparent performances.

We easily beat Annan (who will be lucky to reach 10 points this season) and needed a last minute equaliser to take a point against a Cove side missing their two best players.

I’ve not seen much so far this season to make me think we’re an improved aide from last season and I think assuming Hamilton and Cove aren’t capable of having a Dunfermline or Airdrie type season is a mistake.

A good humping of Stirling on Tuesday would help settle the nerves a bit.

14 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

That and surely the money can't be a bottomless pit . They must be hemorrhaging cash . I'm sure someone quoted millions in debt recently. Is that sustainable in the longer term who knows I suppose but there crowds haven't improved at all to ease the burden that's for sure.

The people putting the money into Cove will eventually loose interest IMO, they may or may not call in the millions owed to them but one thing I doubt will happen is them continuing to blindly fund the levels of expenditure they currently have. It does make it difficult for teams trying to compete with them in the meantime however when they have that financial advantage. 

Edited by LatapyBairn.

2 hours ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

That’s definitely something I agree with. I think we’re not bad in attack with McGlynn and as a fan of wingers I love seeing the likes of Morrison and Ageyman having the scope to go forward and attack at every opportunity. My main gripe with McGlynn is that I’ve never felt we look very organised in defence and always capable of conceding goals. 

Edited by Van_damage

50 minutes ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

As every manager always does. They always want more. IMO I think it is fair as he is light on numbers by a couple IMO

That’s his prerogative but I do think it’s fair to critique the way it comes across as in my mind he’s been well backed by the board(almost too much to be honest considering we still have a large deficit to fill). 

3 minutes ago, Van_damage said:

That’s definitely something I agree with. I think we’re not bad in attach with McGlynn and as a fan of wingers I love seeing the likes of Morrison and Ageyman having the scope to go forward and attack at every opportunity. My main gripe with McGlynn is that I’ve never feel we look very organised in defence and always capable of conceding goals. 

His fixation with  zonal marking at corners is infuriating that's for sure. Don't like it and never have. It simply allows players to pass the buck in my opinion. Man mark then if someone fecks up it's on them .

1 hour ago, Mr Grimsdale said:

We were not discussing our squad but hey Ho. Not sure but close to it.  Nesbitt and MacKie probably would push for a start and I would prefer Hogarth in goal. A fit McGinn would also play if he could get back to the standard of pre March this year. Sadly he looks like he is struggling though. However McGlynn doesn’t have many options if players get injured or lose form.  Lawal been a big disappointment this season so far. 

Not discussing the squad but starting line-ups. Theirs was missing 4 who will likely be regulars and I’d say the starting line up we fielded was arguably one of our strongest given current form. Could toss a coin for a couple of the positions like Hogarth for Long or Nesbitt for Miller but it’s not as clear cut. 

Anyway still think we have enough to beat Cove and should be able to comfortably win against Stirling on Tuesday. 

2 hours ago, Believe The Hype said:

Yes, why in earth not. Have you even watched us this season? 

Cheer up

I like you as a poster mate, but don't become one of them and get wound up by something that hasn't even happened yet. Take the game in context, have a pint, then share your gripes or joy. Live laugh love as they have tattooed in slamannan 

Thanks for your kind words however if we don’t get 3 points from a part time team who played a massive game last Friday and fall 4 or 5 points after only 3 games it’s an appalling start - I stand by that.

I also think we’ll win the game.

37 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Hamilton and Cove seem to have found their legs in this league right away going by their results and apparent performances.

We easily beat Annan (who will be lucky to reach 10 points this season) and needed a last minute equaliser to take a point against a Cove side missing their two best players.

I’ve not seen much so far this season to make me think we’re an improved aide from last season and I think assuming Hamilton and Cove aren’t capable of having a Dunfermline or Airdrie type season is a mistake.

A good humping of Stirling on Tuesday would help settle the nerves a bit.

McIver, Alfie, Lang, Millar and Spencer are an upgrade. I saw plenty at Cove to think we are better. Were you there? 

Edited by Mr Grimsdale