The get fit, stay fit thread

9 hours ago, Ebanda's Handyman Services said:

Best app/s for recording and even helping with training?

I mostly run, swim and cycle.

Probably Strava. I use a Wahoo Fitness HRM chest strap which uploads data to my phone, which i then upload to Strava, but you can use Strava easily enough as a stand-alone app. 

2 hours ago, mjw said:

My fitness pal app for what you eat and you can put your exercise in as well to measure your day.

2 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Probably Strava. I use a Wahoo Fitness HRM chest strap which uploads data to my phone, which i then upload to Strava, but you can use Strava easily enough as a stand-alone app. 

Thanks. I'll have a look at them both.

Edited by Ebanda's Handyman Services

• 2 weeks later...

Iv signed up for my first parkrun next Saturday. Iv heard good things about the events and there is one in Montrose now so decided to try get along whenever I can. No idea what time il run. Hopefully under 25 minutes

Anyone do yoga? I'm interested in it to improve flexibility and help avoid injuries. I wouldn't mind doing s class but I don't want to be the stiff idiot in the room with loads of bendy yummy mummy's.

17 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Anyone do yoga? I'm interested in it to improve flexibility and help avoid injuries. I wouldn't mind doing s class but I don't want to be the stiff idiot in the room with loads of bendy yummy mummy's.

Lies.

I have.
I used to sweat more doing yoga than I would in the gym so any yummy mummy's probably wouldn't be giving me a second look.

Been slipping with the eating lately, so was back on the fitness trail with a vengeance today. 16 miles on the spin bike at the gym (35 mins), 10 minutes on the leg curl (27kgs at the mo, looking to build that up over time), then lastly 60 sit ups (or whatever they call them) on the ab cruncher. Lochend amateur boxing club round from my work have punchbag sessions during the week, so hoping to get to at least 2 sessions a week. I've got a shirt that a bought for a wedding last year that i ordered online, turns out to be a slim fit, I've got a wedding in September so my target is to be able to fit into it properly by then. I'm 5'7 and just under 14st, so I could really do with shifting a bit of weight.

19 hours ago, philpy said:

Been slipping with the eating lately, so was back on the fitness trail with a vengeance today. 16 miles on the spin bike at the gym (35 mins), 10 minutes on the leg curl (27kgs at the mo, looking to build that up over time), then lastly 60 sit ups (or whatever they call them) on the ab cruncher. Lochend amateur boxing club round from my work have punchbag sessions during the week, so hoping to get to at least 2 sessions a week. I've got a shirt that a bought for a wedding last year that i ordered online, turns out to be a slim fit, I've got a wedding in September so my target is to be able to fit into it properly by then. I'm 5'7 and just under 14st, so I could really do with shifting a bit of weight.

Wow.. 16 miles in 35 minutes that is impressive.

Edited by keptie

Been slipping with the eating lately, so was back on the fitness trail with a vengeance today. 16 miles on the spin bike at the gym (35 mins), 10 minutes on the leg curl (27kgs at the mo, looking to build that up over time), then lastly 60 sit ups (or whatever they call them) on the ab cruncher.

Gd routine m8

• 3 weeks later...

Haven't posted about myself on here for a good few months but I hit another fairly major milestone today - my main real target at the moment is to hit 15% BF but I'd stagnated around the high 16's low 17's for a while. I took a break and upped my calories to maintenance for a few weeks and then got to it again. Today I've seen myself below 16% for the first time.

So overall that's 16st 10lbs & god knows what BF as I wasn't measuring back then, down to 12st 4lbs and 15.8% BF in around 14 months. Once I get to around the 12st mark and 15% I'm going to try and start a clean bulk. None of it feels like a hardship and I'm quite enjoying it still but I must admit I'm looking forward to that bit. I really enjoy cooking so I'm looking forward to experimenting with some higher calorie but still healthy recipes. I've got a couple of weddings and a festival over the next few weeks though so I don't see much progress happening in August!

13 minutes ago, Spain said:

Haven't posted about myself on here for a good few months but I hit another fairly major milestone today - my main real target at the moment is to hit 15% BF but I'd stagnated around the high 16's low 17's for a while. I took a break and upped my calories to maintenance for a few weeks and then got to it again. Today I've seen myself below 16% for the first time.

So overall that's 16st 10lbs & god knows what BF as I wasn't measuring back then, down to 12st 4lbs and 15.8% BF in around 14 months. Once I get to around the 12st mark and 15% I'm going to try and start a clean bulk. None of it feels like a hardship and I'm quite enjoying it still but I must admit I'm looking forward to that bit. I really enjoy cooking so I'm looking forward to experimenting with some higher calorie but still healthy recipes. I've got a couple of weddings and a festival over the next few weeks though so I don't see much progress happening in August!

That's a lot of weight loss on the scales.  How are you measuring your BF%?

19 minutes ago, Boostin' Kev said:

That's a lot of weight loss on the scales.  How are you measuring your BF%?

The bulk of it was last year, I've only lost 1 stone in the last 8 months. It's still just the rough measurement from the cheapo bathroom scales I use for the BF but it's a close enough indication for my liking. I don't plan to go under 12st though.

Forget any value the scales give you, even expensive ones, consumer reports don't even bother testing them for accuracy anymore. If you're really interested in BF% (and tbh it's just a number at the end of the day) ask at your gym if there's someone there that knows what they're doing with a pair of callipers.

Nah, I'm not that fussed. Like you say it's just a number, it's just an indication to me that things are going the right direction. As I've said on here to others before, I find the most important thing regardless of whatever long term objective you have is to keep setting yourself short to medium term objectives where you can see progress to keep yourself motivated and I'm just using that as a very very rough incentive at the moment.

Makes sense but these scales that claim to measure BF the way that they do are so full of inaccuracies/inconsistencies that they could give you a false negative figure which would make you question your progress when it's not necessary and could result in making changes to things that are actually working for you.  I'd stop using them altogether in your position tbh.