The get fit, stay fit thread

On 12/07/2019 at 17:17, Bairnardo said:

I think I do. Nothing that has ever neccesitated treatment but aye, my ears pop at odd times, among other things. I have always felt there must be something with my sinises

My mum had an operation to bore out her sinuses and like you I get the same sensation. Some sort of mild steroid spray could open them up a bit? 

My mum had an operation to bore out her sinuses and like you I get the same sensation. Some sort of mild steroid spray could open them up a bit? 
There must be something to it. Its really hard to explain. Its like my nose reaches its limit then something happens. Its like the back of my throat lifts up and closes off the airway to my nose. Like some sort of high flow cut off [emoji23]

Anyway, after a full week of classes last week I got out for a run lastnight. Felt totally fucked and burnt out. Did 5.8km which took 34 mins, and my feet felt flat as f**k which either means they are getting flatter, or the support in my running shoes is gone and need replaced. Bit of a blow

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 16:35, Bairnardo said:

Anyone have any difficulty maintaining breathing through there nose when exercising? Once I start breathing heavy it feels like my nose cant handle all of the air. It almost reaches a point then it feels like it somehow closes off, its weird. Dont know if its common or if theres any way to relieve this

after 2km last night I went full mouth breather, can folk breath quickly using their nose as normal? I hadnt thought about it until I saw this post.

I simply cannot breath through my nose when running, i can't supply air fast or strong enough to my body.
Maybe it is normal at a certain point. Iv just alwyas felt like its weird the way my nose effectively shuts itself off. You read stuff about how breathing through your nose is the correct way etc but I dont know what is common among normal people just trying to do a wee bit to keep fit

22 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

There must be something to it. Its really hard to explain. Its like my nose reaches its limit then something happens. Its like the back of my throat lifts up and closes off the airway to my nose. Like some sort of high flow cut off emoji23.png

I get it worst with a gumshield in. It's like there's a discrepancy between my lung capacity and how much air I can actually snort in. 

I saw something a while ago about taking three sharp breaths through your nose followed by exhaling through your mouth twice. Eg, when your left foot hits the floor, through the nose; then again on your right; again on your left; and two exhales on your right and left. 

I used to sound like a dying whale on a treadmill and it worked for me pretty instantly. 

Edited by AMMjag

Just now, Shandon Par said:

I get it worst with a gumshield in. It's like there's a discrepancy between my lung capacity and how much air I can actually snort in. 

Mouthbreathing with a gumshield in is even worse. Makes you much more likely to succumb to a wee boak or two when you are right fucked  but also leaves your bottom jaw hanging loose making it firstly, very obvious you are gassed, and secondly much more likely to get chinned. Pisser. 

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Mouthbreathing with a gumshield in is even worse. Makes you much more likely to succumb to a wee boak or two when you are right fucked  but also leaves your bottom jaw hanging loose making it firstly, very obvious you are gassed, and secondly much more likely to get chinned. Pisser. 

Still managed to drop a couple of folk on Friday. Feel crap about it though! Meant to be light and fast practice. One did burst my nose though so he earned his slap but the other one was quite a light, fast boy. Sadly not fast enough. 

Anyone know how to get a stronger overhead press? It seems to be my weak point, can only do 50kg for reps and it bugs me.

I find it the hardest lift, so it can take longer to add weight. One thing to look at is working on a hip thrust, plenty good clips on YouTube.

I find it the hardest lift, so it can take longer to add weight. One thing to look at is working on a hip thrust, plenty good clips on YouTube.

It’s an absolute c**t of a lift. Don’t even enjoy it but feel it a lot more than a sitting down shoulder press.

On 12/07/2019 at 17:35, Bairnardo said:

Anyone have any difficulty maintaining breathing through there nose when exercising? Once I start breathing heavy it feels like my nose cant handle all of the air. It almost reaches a point then it feels like it somehow closes off, its weird. Dont know if its common or if theres any way to relieve this

https://runnerclick.com/diaphragmatic-breathing-how-it-can-make-you-better-runner/

Takes a bit of practice but when I was running longer distances it made a hell of a difference. Had to re-learn the techniques when I got back on the treadmill a couple of months ago. Definitely wouldn't be able to do high intensity cardio without breathing in through both my nose and mouth.

Edited by Ross.

4 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Anyone know how to get a stronger overhead press? It seems to be my weak point, can only do 50kg for reps and it bugs me.

You could try seated shoulder presses on a bench without the back support. It means you're still working your core to support the weigh but it eliminates the ability to use any leg drive and purely works your shoulders.

Your could also try Z-Presses (Link) which are also good but I don't find them very comfortable as my hamstrings / lower back tend to cramp up when doing them for some reason.

You could try seated shoulder presses on a bench without the back support. It means you're still working your core to support the weigh but it eliminates the ability to use any leg drive and purely works your shoulders.
Your could also try Z-Presses (Link) which are also good but I don't find them very comfortable as my hamstrings / lower back tend to cramp up when doing them for some reason.

That Z press looks like a disaster waiting to happen [emoji23]

I’m gonna try seated with no back support though that looks a good alternative.

11 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

What kind of press? Have you tried a push press to allow you to add more weight then go back to a normal press.