The get fit, stay fit thread

Good old fashioned thunderstorm on Sunday night knocked 10c off the temperature. Made a huge difference going to the gym and only building up a sweat while working out instead of just getting there. Upped the fast pace on the treadmill to 15kph and found it relatively easy. Still gubbed, but only as gubbed as I was 6 weeks or so ago when my fast pace was 13.5kph. Will hopefully get out for a 5k tonight and see if I can knock another minute off that last time. Not managed a run outside since the last one I posted on here, on account of the fucking heat that has been absolutely killing me since then.

Had a bit of a different chest session last night, Bench Press was occupied by two guys who would prefer to talk for 10 minutes between sets than do anything productive, so I left bench press until the end of the session.

Cable flies for 8 sets (alternating between high and low setting)

incline smith press 20kg on each side for 5 sets.

machine press isolating one side at a time for 5 sets 30kg each side

Then bench press worked up to doing 100KG for triples for three sets then doing a burnout set of 60kg for 24 reps.

In AGONY today, well worth the switch up

Doing Race At Your Pace as a bit of motivation to actually get out and run, just the 25 mile challenge to get started. 

Have also entered the Aberdeen 10k and Scottish Half at the end of August and September. 

So far been out 3 times this month, yesterday was a struggle as someone new started in the office so we all had Dominos for lunch - and I felt it whilst running :barf.

Did the half last year in 2h16 (buggered my knee about 8.5 miles) so aiming for anything under 2h this time, with plenty preparation.

36 minutes ago, MixuFixit said:

I don't know what sounds worse/most impressive out of that but well done nonetheless.

I was impressed at being able to throw 100 around a bit after a full session if i'm honest, other than that it was pure pain for the sake of pain haha.

Did a boxfit class this morning. Brutal. Like two back to back HIIT classes. Made me feel every day of my 41 years and regret every booze and pizza binge. Can feel it being good for the core and for shifting a bit of weight.

Did a boxfit class this morning. Brutal. Like two back to back HIIT classes. Made me feel every day of my 41 years and regret every booze and pizza binge. Can feel it being good for the core and for shifting a bit of weight.
Was it done by someone who is into boxing? Iv been put off by seeing those classes and the boxing side of it being an utter rabble of folk flailing their arms at a set of pads....

Just now, Bairnardo said:
11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Was it done by someone who is into boxing? Iv been put off by seeing those classes and the boxing side of it being an utter rabble of folk flailing their arms at a set of pads....

At least they have pads. Any boxfit class I've seen is just folk punching fresh air.

Edited by mathematics

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Yes - the boy has boxed a bit at my gym over the years but I'd say it's more akin to a HIIT class. Loads of pads but no real technique. The intensity is good though. Just have to leave the ego at the door and treat it as a class in it's own right rather than trying to come in and sneer at everything. 

Yes - the boy has boxed a bit at my gym over the years but I'd say it's more akin to a HIIT class. Loads of pads but no real technique. The intensity is good though. Just have to leave the ego at the door and treat it as a class in it's own right rather than trying to come in and sneer at everything. 
Yeah I think I would maybe like to give it a try. I know from doing similar stuff that HIIT works for me but you really cant replicate a class yourself. I have been doing spinning recently and FBX. FBX in particular is fucking brutal

2 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:
7 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Yeah I think I would maybe like to give it a try. I know from doing similar stuff that HIIT works for me but you really cant replicate a class yourself. I have been doing spinning recently and FBX. FBX in particular is fucking brutal

I'm just trying to steer clear of weights and find things to help my speed and stamina. Might try a FBX class by thankfully they are usually fully booked. USed to cycle loads - would bike in to work in Edinburgh from Fife a few times a week but just get bored on exercise machines/bikes. At my age I'm just trying to keep in reasonable enough shape to keep sparring (which means having to hack it with folk 20+ years younger) rather than being into the gym for the sake of it or building big muscles. 

12 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm just trying to steer clear of weights and find things to help my speed and stamina. Might try a FBX class by thankfully they are usually fully booked. USed to cycle loads - would bike in to work in Edinburgh from Fife a few times a week but just get bored on exercise machines/bikes. At my age I'm just trying to keep in reasonable enough shape to keep sparring (which means having to hack it with folk 20+ years younger) rather than being into the gym for the sake of it or building big muscles. 

You ever tried using the Freeletics app? Some of the workouts on there are decent and the timer always has me trying to do it flat out. Not used it much myself recently but planning on getting back into it if I can find the time.

33 minutes ago, Ross. said:

You ever tried using the Freeletics app? Some of the workouts on there are decent and the timer always has me trying to do it flat out. Not used it much myself recently but planning on getting back into it if I can find the time.

I'm a bit of a luddite really. I'll use an app like runkeeper now and again just to work out exactly what is a 2.5km or 5km point but that's about it. At the gym I'll really just do running (like those interval sprints), punch bags/jumps, skipping then situps. 

12 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

Spoke to a guy today who was saying instead of pyramid sets, do two sets of your usual weight then two sets at half weight and do the reps really slowly. I tried it today and it was murder but you could definitely feel the intended muscle groups burning more as a result. Good tip I thought.

It might work but there's also the chance that changing your workout will cause your muscles to react more rather than it actually being more effective, if you know what I mean.

31 minutes ago, staggy1929 said:

Leg day yesterday followed by back tonight is gonna absolutely floor me tomorrow I  can already tell.

3 years after starting the gym I still don't know the best split for my workouts....

Push (chest, shoulders, triceps) / Pull (back, biceps) / Legs is the most straightforward method in my view. I tend to split weight sessions up into 3 days a week and then throw in a day for cardio.

32 minutes ago, Ron Aldo said:

Push (chest, shoulders, triceps) / Pull (back, biceps) / Legs is the most straightforward method in my view. I tend to split weight sessions up into 3 days a week and then throw in a day for cardio.

my issue is putting chest and shoulders into the same session, I usually spend an hour on chest and an hour on shoulders so would be in the gym for ages haha. I have heard of the whole push pull legs routine though, might be worth a try.