The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm not so sure about carbing up - when I've done half marathons I've always had a big bowl of pasta the night before and porridge the morning of the race but never for lifting weights.  I go to the gym at lunchtime and try to have an apple or something before I go so I'm not on an empty stomach or anything like that but I wouldn't deliberately carb up.

If you are lifting for PBs and really trying to max it out it might do it I guess. 

I literally have no clue about weights, I do know I have the arms of a 12 year old girl though. 

Want to start incorporating a bit of weight training into my weekly workout, but really have no idea where to start. I would probably start with the machines, as I usually go to the gym on my own, so rather than dropping a bar bell on my neck, just use the available machines. 

Are there any sites out there that have a plan you can follow? 

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I'm not so sure about carbing up - when I've done half marathons I've always had a big bowl of pasta the night before and porridge the morning of the race but never for lifting weights.  I go to the gym at lunchtime and try to have an apple or something before I go so I'm not on an empty stomach or anything like that but I wouldn't deliberately carb up.

If you are lifting for PBs and really trying to max it out it might do it I guess. 

I know that I am significantly weaker when I don't eat before I train, i'm not entirely sure of what's best for pre workout in terms of meals.

17 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

I literally have no clue about weights, I do know I have the arms of a 12 year old girl though. 

Want to start incorporating a bit of weight training into my weekly workout, but really have no idea where to start. I would probably start with the machines, as I usually go to the gym on my own, so rather than dropping a bar bell on my neck, just use the available machines. 

Bodybuilding.com usually have some decent stuff on there

15 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

As a very rough guide for starters to find your beginner weight, you should do 3 sets of 10 reps for whatever exercise and you should be struggling to push out the last couple on your final set. It's a process of trial and error to find your starting weight. 

Any decent gym should be able to advise you on a work out plan and may already have sheets made up. 

Send me a pm and ill send you a plan split over 4 days. Will keep you right

Really good chest session last night, thinking of going for a PB on bench press next week. I've read loads of different things but should I 'Carb up' the night before/day of  going for big lifts?

I have 80g oats and water with raspberries 60-90mins before a workout

Oats are a good shout. I've been trying the Keto diet the last few weeks so maybe substitute it for like Jerky or something haha.

Nae offence mate but keto is a heep of shite.

Any diet that sees you cutting out a type of food is shite and won’t work long term

Nae offence mate but keto is a heep of shite.

Any diet that sees you cutting out a type of food is shite and won’t work long term

That’s not remotely true. Keto is no less effective than any other diet regime.

There are loads of foods which really have no place in a modern diet, and cutting them out will only serve well.

With any diet, it’ll only work if it supplements lifestyle changes.

That’s not remotely true. Keto is no less effective than any other diet regime.

There are loads of foods which really have no place in a modern diet, and cutting them out will only serve well.

With any diet, it’ll only work if it supplements lifestyle changes.

Any “diet” is a pile of shite as it not sustainable. Cutting out carbs is not sustainable long term. It is not carbs making people overweight. Much the same as it is not cutting out carbs that is making them lose weight. All you are doing is creating a calorie deficit which woukd be expected considering you are cutting out 1/3 of the macro groups

I should have said that i dont actually have anything against the keto diet. It is just not sustainable as most good things contain carbs so why would you want to cut it out. Just create a calorie deficit by including all food groups and move more

Went from the first one on Sunday to the second one tonight. Not quite the full 5k but delighted to have taken 90 seconds off the route and I reckon if I pushed myself a bit I could manage another 30-60  seconds off without a huge amount of difficulty. Mostly though I am delighted that I am managing to run again regularly without picking up a constant stream of injuries. Sticking to the short distances this time, and definitely keeping in at the gym. I think the leg and core work with the weights has made a huge difference on the injury front, just hoping that continues.

7F94E36C-1DBA-4BD1-9F9F-08523713C673.png

C40B493C-9982-4D4C-8DEF-C6FF4CB205C2.png

20 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Went from the first one on Sunday to the second one tonight. Not quite the full 5k but delighted to have taken 90 seconds off the route and I reckon if I pushed myself a bit I could manage another 30-60  seconds off without a huge amount of difficulty. Mostly though I am delighted that I am managing to run again regularly without picking up a constant stream of injuries. Sticking to the short distances this time, and definitely keeping in at the gym. I think the leg and core work with the weights has made a huge difference on the injury front, just hoping that continues.

7F94E36C-1DBA-4BD1-9F9F-08523713C673.png

C40B493C-9982-4D4C-8DEF-C6FF4CB205C2.png

Someone a few months back posted their run in Dumbarton and it was in the shape of a cock and balls. You need to do that. 

I used the keto diet to shed the most part of about 6/7 stone. I think the vast majority of people that do it though fail due to not understanding it.For it to work you have to be extremely strict with your dieting to remain in ketosis. An example of this is an ex colleague that asked about doing it, took a week to get into ketosis and celebrated with a chippie :lol:

I found as well that it definitely affected my metabolism and blood sugar levels for the better, however this was probably due to the loss of weight.

I’m not one of these people though that think it’s the way to go or the best diet about, I’ve been off it for about a year now and weight gain/loss is simply down to calories in/out. I’m lighter now than I was when I stopped it.
If you’ve got a sweet tooth, I’d genuinely recommend keto as after a few days on it, you genuinely don’t crave anything sugary.

8 hours ago, Dee Man said:

Someone a few months back posted their run in Dumbarton and it was in the shape of a cock and balls. You need to do that. 

I have one from last year which was more in the shape of a gun than a cock and balls. 

63076D19-757D-4C8A-9C0A-022CF430DE5A.jpeg

8 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

I used the keto diet to shed the most part of about 6/7 stone. I think the vast majority of people that do it though fail due to not understanding it.For it to work you have to be extremely strict with your dieting to remain in ketosis. An example of this is an ex colleague that asked about doing it, took a week to get into ketosis and celebrated with a chippie :lol:

There is a woman in the office doing it, and she just seems to binge on Pork Scratchings. Surely that can't be right? 

How long did you do it for to shift that weight? Hell of a loss.