The get fit, stay fit thread

9 hours ago, Senor Bairn said:

Machines are great for hitting certain things, but I agree for the most part, hitting compound lifts is much better for your overall fitness than doing a circuit of machines hitting isolated body parts.

Deadlifts are the top boi imho

I tend to stick to the machines simply because I don't trust myself with my form when doing free weights or lifts. Not as efficient for sure but I've been sticking at it for about 18 months now and looking good enough.

Was back in the gym last night after a week off. Heat wave here had meant it was too hot for a few days, also had some family visiting from Scotland so was a fat alcoholic for a few days also. Felt magic last night and no ill effects this morning.

Edited by Ross.

did a full abs workout at the end of my arm session last night and i'm almost certain I've pulled something near my oblique, sitting down is agony😂

got a lovely two hour journey to Bettyhill for a game tomorrow as well which doesn't help...

Have really enjoying my cycling of late, so decided to get involved with Zwift. 

I have done a couple of 50 mile cycles outdoors, and thought that with Zwift I would be able to crack 100 miles in one session. 

Underestimated it massively, opposed to being outside where you can rest up on the pedals down a descent for example, you can't do that on this as you will just come to a halt. 

I did ten miles last night and thought that was it for me, I was ruined. Not sweat like that for a while. Hoping to integrate a couple sessions a week of Zwift into my weekly session from now on, and lose that last stone. 

Have really enjoying my cycling of late, so decided to get involved with Zwift. 
I have done a couple of 50 mile cycles outdoors, and thought that with Zwift I would be able to crack 100 miles in one session. 
Underestimated it massively, opposed to being outside where you can rest up on the pedals down a descent for example, you can't do that on this as you will just come to a halt. 
I did ten miles last night and thought that was it for me, I was ruined. Not sweat like that for a while. Hoping to integrate a couple sessions a week of Zwift into my weekly session from now on, and lose that last stone. 

Explain zwift to me please mate

I tend to stick to the machines simply because I don't trust myself with my form when doing free weights or lifts. Not as efficient for sure but I've been sticking at it for about 18 months now and looking good enough.
Was back in the gym last night after a week off. Heat wave here had meant it was too hot for a few days, also had some family visiting from Scotland so was a fat alcoholic for a few days also. Felt magic last night and no ill effects this morning.

Don’t get me wrong, any exercise is better than none, and you can definitely get fitter from just using the machines at the gym. Do you still follow like a split programme or just do a full body workout?

I’d highly recommend trying some compound lifts, there’s some really good videos on YouTube that’ll help you sort your form out, once you’ve got that sorted you’ll be like Ronnie Coleman.

4 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Don’t get me wrong, any exercise is better than none, and you can definitely get fitter from just using the machines at the gym. Do you still follow like a split programme or just do a full body workout?

I’d highly recommend trying some compound lifts, there’s some really good videos on YouTube that’ll help you sort your form out, once you’ve got that sorted you’ll be like Ronnie Coleman.

Generally a full body workout, but try to do something approaching super sets in the process. Should maybe start doing more leg work, as I have really dropped that since I started running again, but that apart I cover everything else.

54 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

https://zwift.com/en/

Website will explain it better than I can.

Some of that gear looks pretty f*cking expensive. I do like the concept though, and my petty, childish competitive nature would probably really push me on if I signed up for something like that.

1 hour ago, MixuFixit said:

Gym is being populated by wee bams who have decided to do a couple of weeks weights before they go on holiday, honestly I can't tell if I hate this time of year more than january for queueing up to get a bench.

I spent about £450 last year and got a power rack, bench, Olympic barbell and 150kg weights. Best investment I ever bought.

The school I teach in has a really good gym as well and I'm literally the only person who ever seems to use it with any regularity.

Edited by Gaz

Having said that, I do sometimes miss being around other people when I'm working out, I do miss a gym atmosphere.

1 minute ago, MixuFixit said:

I have thought about trying the school gym near me as it's only a tenner a month.

That is pretty decent. The pupils use ours during the day but I'm pretty much the only person who uses it after school.

18 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Having said that, I do sometimes miss being around other people when I'm working out, I do miss a gym atmosphere.

I fully kitted out my garage as a gym. The most important purchase? A TV.

21 hours ago, Ross. said:

Some of that gear looks pretty f*cking expensive. I do like the concept though, and my petty, childish competitive nature would probably really push me on if I signed up for something like that.

My trainer cost me £100 (second hand) and then the £13.99 monthly membership on top of that. Obviously had my bike beforehand. 

You're right about the competitive edge though, on my first session I got into a battle with some Russian guy, only lasted a few KM, but I was desperate to beat him through a section.

1 hour ago, LondonHMFC said:

My trainer cost me £100 (second hand) and then the £13.99 monthly membership on top of that. Obviously had my bike beforehand. 

You're right about the competitive edge though, on my first session I got into a battle with some Russian guy, only lasted a few KM, but I was desperate to beat him through a section.

Me and her are looking at buying a house at the moment. My only real stipulation is that there is a garage or basement big enough to fit some gym equipment and possibly a pool table. Might look at something like this when we find somewhere.

44 minutes ago, Ross. said:

Me and her are looking at buying a house at the moment. My only real stipulation is that there is a garage or basement big enough to fit some gym equipment and possibly a pool table. Might look at something like this when we find somewhere.

What about bedroom, toilet and kitchen though?