The get fit, stay fit thread

I topped out at an agonisingly close 97.5kg and literally could not add a fucking ounce. Seething.

Not really been watching what I’m eating or checked my weight but I’ve got a wee bit stronger recently, did 90kg 5x5 bench tonight without too much issues, will be chuffed once I hit 100kg for rep but I’m still a bit off it.

Read a really good article about reps. Reps aren’t really important it’s time under tension.
Better to do four really good full reps than six half assed ones. Train to failure?

Training to failure isn’t it for me like. Tend to make more mistakes in the final few reps or injure yourself imho.

I topped out at an agonisingly close 97.5kg and literally could not add a fucking ounce. Seething.

I’ve benched 100kg for 1 a few months ago but it took fucking ages for me to reach it, unlike deadlifting or squatting which I seemed to add more weight on with no problem. It’s mad how adding a little extra weight for bench makes it feel fucking impossible to do sometimes.

Going from 97.5 to 100kg felt like I was adding on a tonne.

20 minutes ago, Aufc said:

Aye. Doesnt matter at all. That plus progressive overload will see anyone make progress

I try to aim for ten to twenty reps. If I am doing twenty relatively easily will add weight. I don’t do many large compound deadlifts or anything like that and agree with the safety thing. Probably not a good idea to fail with huge weights. I’m trying to improve strength and fitness rather than bulk.

17 minutes ago, Senor Bairn said:

Training to failure isn’t it for me like. Tend to make more mistakes in the final few reps or injure yourself imho.

I wasn’t trying to offer advice to you even though it was after your post. The full on deadlift thing isn’t for me. I did watch Eddie hall and his pal train paddy McGuiness on YouTube  and they trained him to failure on squats but were spotting him. 

Edited by D.A.F.C

I wasn’t trying to offer advice to you even though it was after your post. The full on deadlift thing isn’t for me. I did watch Eddie hall and his pal train paddy McGuiness on YouTube  and they trained him to failure on squats but were spotting him. 

Aye I know just offering my opinion. Training with that c**t would be an eye opener. His YouTube video of him swimming is particularly funny.

Been on my holiday body prep for the last two weeks. Plan was to be sub-70kgs achieved by plenty of cardio and really watching what I was eating (from 75kgs).

Away on Thursday, weighed in today at 70.1kgs. Another Thai boxing session tomorrow followed by a wee sauna and I’ll be beach body ready...

... shame I’m going to a fucking gigantic city.

At the NFL combine one of the drills for draft eligible players is how many bench press reps they can rack up of 225lbs (102kg).

Here’s Shaquem Griffin banging out 20 - note his prosthetic arm.

My 70kg bench feels quite pathetic amongst all this 100kg chat.

p***ks.

Why? Their 100kg could be with shite technique. No point lifting 100kg just to say you can do it. I think my one rep max is over 100kg but i never do it because its pointless

guy at my gym was doing 165kg for reps and got three people to spot him at the same time.

it was about a year ago when I was doing 100kg for triples thinking I was the man and it very much put me in my place 😂

(he was absolutely roided out his nut in fairness)

I do 3 sets of 4-6 reps. If I can achieve all 18 reps with good form, I up the weight by 2.5kg the next week. If I can't even hit the 4's, then I drop it back down (immediately) for a week or so. This has me at the moment with 97.5kg on the incline, and 125kg on the flat. My flat press isn't as deep as it should be with 125kg though and I've plateaued recently. Using that system of progressive overload over the last 3 years has seen the weights I lift skyrocket though. I recommend having a look at Michael Matthews book Bigger, Leaner, Stronger for those looking to get stronger.

Edited by Spain

"Will we up the weight next set?"
"Aye. How much?"
"5?"
"5 d'ye think?"
"Will we do 5 more?"
"We'll try 5 aye?"
"Aye try 5"
"I might not manage 5 more"
"Do 2.5 more then?"
"2.5 more aye?"
"Aye if you think 5 is pushing it try 2.5"