The get fit, stay fit thread

I'm feeling as fit as I have since I stopped playing club football, I can tell in the mirror that I'm trimmer than I was, I lift weights three times a week and cycle anywhere between 3-5 times a week, I am eating better than I ever have with barely any junk food, i have a few beers at the weekend and that is it ... and yet my weight is increasingly fairly drastically every time I step on the scales. :o i even bought a new set of fucking scales and they still tell me the same thing!

im feeling a lot more muscular but no way have i put on what the scales are telling me in muscle. i drink a lot of water every day, is it possible that my body is retaining a ridiculous amount of fluid?!

I know you shouldn't worry too much about the scales but it goes against everything im doing lifestyle wise and it sort of kills my motivation.

any ideas why this is happening? :huh:

Your bodyweight fluctuates miles every day. Weigh yourself before breakfast, ideally after you've had a dump but if not then no big deal. This is the best way to get a consistent measure as depending on your water / salt intake at various times you'll retain more fluid.

And don't get too hung up on scale weight, you'll see changes in the mirror better over time.

I'm feeling as fit as I have since I stopped playing club football, I can tell in the mirror that I'm trimmer than I was, I lift weights three times a week and cycle anywhere between 3-5 times a week, I am eating better than I ever have with barely any junk food, i have a few beers at the weekend and that is it ... and yet my weight is increasingly fairly drastically every time I step on the scales. :o i even bought a new set of fucking scales and they still tell me the same thing!

im feeling a lot more muscular but no way have i put on what the scales are telling me in muscle. i drink a lot of water every day, is it possible that my body is retaining a ridiculous amount of fluid?!

I know you shouldn't worry too much about the scales but it goes against everything im doing lifestyle wise and it sort of kills my motivation.

any ideas why this is happening? :huh:

If your weight's going up, assuming that you're weighing yourself at consistent times, it's because you're consuming more calories than you're burning. 'Eating better' isn't going to stop you from gaining weight if you're in a surplus.

If your weight's going up, assuming that you're weighing yourself at consistent times, it's because you're consuming more calories than you're burning. 'Eating better' isn't going to stop you from gaining weight if you're in a surplus.

I've been eating around 2000 calories a day, think my maintenance is around 2500

i honestly cant figure out where im going wrong

I've been eating around 2000 calories a day, think my maintenance is around 2500

If the weight gain is consistent, you won't be below maintenance. People often think that they are, but there'll be something that they aren't counting.

Do you actually need to lose weight anyway? What's your goal?

If your lifting weights as often as you say you are then there's your answer.

Weight lifting adds a few pounds due to the increased muscle mass.

Went back to muay thai for my first session after a two week break which included a 7 day baws-oot ibiza holiday and a night out on saturday into the bargain :green

Didnt do too badly but its amazing how unfit you can get during two weeks of bad eating and binging!

Still though onwards and upwards away to the weights gym after work to see just how much muscle fibre has wasted away...

If your lifting weights as often as you say you are then there's your answer.

Weight lifting adds a few pounds due to the increased muscle mass.

No. Being in a caloric surplus adds a few pounds.

I'm going to do double sessions before and after work in the gym this week to try and shake the fug. I'm trying to get my fitness back up before going back to BJJ training, last time I went I was blowing out my proverbial and it was embarrassing.

I do cardio before work and then weights afterwards, does that seem wise? :unsure:

I'm going to do double sessions before and after work in the gym this week to try and shake the fug. I'm trying to get my fitness back up before going back to BJJ training, last time I went I was blowing out my proverbial and it was embarrassing.

I do cardio before work and then weights afterwards, does that seem wise? :unsure:

Do it before and after. Doing it this way means your body keeps working and burning calories even after the gym.

When I used to go to the gym before work i did weights in the morning, my logic being that the free weight section would be quiter in the morning that after work. Also found it easier to motivate myself to do lifts that HIIT at 7 in the morning!

Weigh yourself once a week, first thing in the morning.

Also; if you're drinking more water then the odds are on that you are better hydrated than before, which can add a few pounds.

Try using this; http://scoobysworksh...rie-calculator/

Edit: how many grams of protein are you getting each day?

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

As does weight lifting.

No it doesn't. It is physically impossible to gain weight whilst not in a caloric surplus.

Also; if you're drinking more water then the odds are on that you are better hydrated than before, which can add a few pounds.

If, as he said, he's weighing himself consistently, with his weight consistently going up, this is unlikely to be an issue. He's gaining weight because he's consuming more calories than he's burning.

Only if you are in a caloric surplus.Edit: and consuming plenty of protein.

You don't need to be eating protein to gain weight; protein supports muscle growth and recovery, so an adequate intake helps to gain the right kind of weight (assuming that that's why you're training). Weight gain comes about solely as a result of being in a caloric surplus, which you could do on a diet consisting solely of brocolli (albeit not very easily).

If anything, overconsumption of protein could even make weight gain more difficult due to its high thermic effect.

This is probably the best place to post this.

Can anyone suggest a website that can tell you the distance you have ran/walked/cycled? I tried one, but it measured your walk as the crow flies, which is no good.

Ive started walking tonight and I intend to keep it up over the next month to see if it does me any good in terms of losing weight. And yes I Am starting to eat more healthily.

Prepare to have this engraved in your brain if you listen this. biggrin.gif

This is probably the best place to post this.

Can anyone suggest a website that can tell you the distance you have ran/walked/cycled? I tried one, but it measured your walk as the crow flies, which is no good.

Ive started walking tonight and I intend to keep it up over the next month to see if it does me any good in terms of losing weight. And yes I Am starting to eat more healthily.

Prepare to have this engraved in your brain if you listen this. biggrin.gif

Do you not have a phone with GPS and applications on it? It doesn't have to be a smartphone.