The get fit, stay fit thread

I felt a bit self-conscious at first, but aye, I'm more or less the same. I keep track of my lifts in my wee notepad and so long as I can see a progression week-to-week then I'm content.

My main gripe, and the only time I really judge, is if I see someone sitting texting away for 5 minutes at at time at a machine I'm needing, then doing a handful of reps, then going back to the phone for another 5 minutes, lather, rinse, repeat. Far and away that's my most common complaint, happens all the damn time. Perhaps it's just me but it seems like really bad etiquette.

I sometimes take my phone out in the gym (for music, or if i am waiting on someone replying to me) but obviously wouldn't bother at a time someone was wanting to use the equipment. Should just go up and ask them how many more sets or how long will they be on that specific machine and they would be off it in no time.

Found an MT club out here and trained there for the first time. It was...okay. There's another club in the town which I was going to go to tonight but probably won't now as I have the cold, so I'll head to their next session on Wednesday. Also went to a gym on Saturday morning...second French gym I've been a member of and, like the last one, they have a weird thing about playing stuff like Adele. Not really workout music, is it? They're setting fire to MY GAINZ LOLOL

Found an MT club out here and trained there for the first time. It was...okay. There's another club in the town which I was going to go to tonight but probably won't now as I have the cold, so I'll head to their next session on Wednesday. Also went to a gym on Saturday morning...second French gym I've been a member of and, like the last one, they have a weird thing about playing stuff like Adele. Not really workout music, is it? They're setting fire to MY GAINZ LOLOL

Sometimes in one of the gyms I use, I find myself being subjected to Magic fm. All the old, slower tunes. Horrific listening.

My main gripe, and the only time I really judge, is if I see someone sitting texting away for 5 minutes at at time at a machine I'm needing, then doing a handful of reps, then going back to the phone for another 5 minutes, lather, rinse, repeat. Far and away that's my most common complaint, happens all the damn time. Perhaps it's just me but it seems like really bad etiquette.

Just noticed this on twitter

“@DarrylBroadfoot: Live gym moan: guys ask to work in, then spend next five mins on their phones. Revenge is sweet. QnA anyone?”

Hiya Darryl! Hiya pal!

Sometimes in one of the gyms I use, I find myself being subjected to Magic fm. All the old, slower tunes. Horrific listening.

It's amazing how much of an effect the music they play actually has laugh.gif Last time I forget to bring my headphones!

It's amazing how much of an effect the music they play actually has laugh.gif Last time I forget to bring my headphones!

I find myself working harder when there is anything with a beat. Prime example being that Britney and Will.I.Am song "scream and shout". Would never listen to it outwith the gym. Stick it on my i-phone and i can run all day.

I live in fear of people realising the utter crap that I have on my 'workout' playlist.

Same! Mostly because I have so many different types of music on my phone. It could be Little Mix or Olly Murs one minute or it could be Stone Roses or Linkin Park. With the latter being very motivational for me and got me through a few workouts already.

Sadly my has boss pressured me into taking on a 100 push up bet in 6 weeks time, as i said that i gave the 100 push up challenge a go a couple of years ago and near enough completed it. I thought we would be starting on a level playing field, but once i accepted the bet he told me that he currently does 200 push ups a day during interval training. Am i best just re-doing this?

The only slight thing i have going for me at the moment is that i managed to do the 3rd column of Day 1 as soon as i got back from work, so i know that i should be able to make a good go of doing the 3rd column all the way through.

Any extra tips would be really good also.

Sadly my has boss pressured me into taking on a 100 push up bet in 6 weeks time, as i said that i gave the 100 push up challenge a go a couple of years ago and near enough completed it. I thought we would be starting on a level playing field, but once i accepted the bet he told me that he currently does 200 push ups a day during interval training. Am i best just re-doing this?

The only slight thing i have going for me at the moment is that i managed to do the 3rd column of Day 1 as soon as i got back from work, so i know that i should be able to make a good go of doing the 3rd column all the way through.

Any extra tips would be really good also.

Did you see the link I posted earlier about 'greasing the groove'? I was talking about chin-ups at the time, but it's also relevant to push ups.

As I moved house last week, I've changed gyms from the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal, to the one on Gorgie Road. Am going along tonight for the first time, should be good. It's on two floors, which will be different.

As I moved house last week, I've changed gyms from the Pure Gym at Ocean Terminal, to the one on Gorgie Road. Am going along tonight for the first time, should be good. It's on two floors, which will be different.

You did that at the right time, I'm going to the one at OT from the start of next week, so you won't have a chance of bumping into me, lol. Is the one at OT any good anyway?? And what's the best programme to use if I'm looking to shift some weight rather than become mr muscleman??

There were a couple of french students who came to our gym for around a year as they were living nearby and although they were good technique-wise (one of them especially so) they seemed to lack an edge/aggression and their style seemed very 'kickboxy' if you know what I mean. A french thing maybe? They seem to be more into their k1 type fighting over there.

I live in fear of people realising the utter crap that I have on my 'workout' playlist.

We went on a lads trip to amsterdam at the start of december, one of my mates brought a docking station so we'd have music in the apartment, then set it to 'shuffle' by accident. We were not gentle.

There were a couple of french students who came to our gym for around a year as they were living nearby and although they were good technique-wise (one of them especially so) they seemed to lack an edge/aggression and their style seemed very 'kickboxy' if you know what I mean. A french thing maybe? They seem to be more into their k1 type fighting over there.

Yeah, I trained kickboxing when I was here before and it's pretty much what I found too. Guys like to stand just out of range and throw fancy kicks at you, but they panic when you get in close and start boxing. Think some guys come from a savate background, which might play a part. The second club I went to seems better, though, so I think I'll train there. Only three sessions a week, though, which isn't the best. There's a savate club too and I would actually like to give that a shot, but everything here's expensive as f**k so I don't know if I can afford it. :lol:

You did that at the right time, I'm going to the one at OT from the start of next week, so you won't have a chance of bumping into me, lol. Is the one at OT any good anyway?? And what's the best programme to use if I'm looking to shift some weight rather than become mr muscleman??

I've never done a programme, I just pitch up and use the machines. I think the PTs are quite good. Ocean Terminal gym is good, perfectlyl good facilities etc.

I weighed myself yesterday and since massively improving my diet and upping my exercise, I've seen a real difference. And I can feel it too.

Since 31 December, 2012, I've lost 11lb and feel good too. A good weigh-in like that makes it worth it and spurs you on to keep going too. :)