The get fit, stay fit thread

I get you saying it's not worth it but 105kg realistically isn't that much, a 'strong' person is someone who can squat 1.5x their bodyweight, say the bodybuilders. Meaning I still have a solid 20 kg to go. I'll see.

I wanted to make a real start to a proper cardio based fitness thing two week ago but I've been terrible, I'm on my holidays and have just given up! Definitely going to start tomorrow as I go back to work on Monday and I find it so much easier to stick to a routine when I'm in a work routine too.

I get you saying it's not worth it but 105kg realistically isn't that much, a 'strong' person is someone who can squat 1.5x their bodyweight, say the bodybuilders. Meaning I still have a solid 20 kg to go. I'll see.

If you're going thighs parallel to ground and getting reps out of 105kg that's pretty good imo. Don't think about what a strong person should lift everyone's different and most people don't even bother doing it.

If you're going thighs parallel to ground and getting reps out of 105kg that's pretty good imo. Don't think about what a strong person should lift everyone's different and most people don't even bother doing it.

Yeah I go quite deep, deeper than the majority of gym goers anyway. Been training for four years and used to be a skinny beanpole, not so much now. You're probably right though. At the end of the day I'm not really in it for the numbers, I don't obsess over the scales, I just judge by the mirror.

I weigh about 80kg and consider myself fairly fit, yet when I squat I tend to only do about 50kg at most with about 30/40 reps. Is it more beneficial doing those smaller sets of mega heavy?

I weigh about 80kg and consider myself fairly fit, yet when I squat I tend to only do about 50kg at most with about 30/40 reps. Is it more beneficial doing those smaller sets of mega heavy?

I think im 85kg (13 stone?!). I just kinda mix and match my workouts. Some weeks ill go heavy and some weeks ill go lighter with more reps. Upto 110kg on the squats and stick to 5 sets of 5.

Personally, i think it is good to mix between both to keep your body guessing. You can probably lift more than you think. Just keep gradually adding weight. The worst that can happen is you cant lift it.

The forum expert will no doubt disagree with this advice and try give you his perspective

I found squatting really difficult in converses due to a lack of ankle flexibility. Purchasing weightlifting shoes changed all that and really helped my squatting ability over time. Try a deload as well; reduce the weight about 20% and work your way back up again (don't change reps or sets).

Main problem I've had with squats recently is 2 pairs of shorts ripping, one slightly and one almost disastrously. A slightly better sound than your knee popping but still...

Hate training in jobbycatchers but it might be the way forward rather than potentially exposing my arsehole to all and sundry.

I found squatting really difficult in converses due to a lack of ankle flexibility. Purchasing weightlifting shoes changed all that and really helped my squatting ability over time. Try a deload as well; reduce the weight about 20% and work your way back up again (don't change reps or sets).

I take my shoes off and just wear my socks

No trainer squats are good I just wear an old pair of flat trainers to the gym.

Deeboy - thought you said you squatted 230kg for a moment then saw it was leg press. you can wear reebok pumps for that if you like. :lol:

Edited by Billy Dynamite