The get fit, stay fit thread

Imo after that length of time cycling your full pelt will be a fraction of what it should be to get the benefits of the tabata. Don't compare tabata to SSCV look at it as a different type of cardio.

Fair enough. I'll stick with it for the 2 months I promised myself I would and see if it has had any noticeable effect compared to what I had been doing.

I've piled on the weight since I quit football a few years ago and looking to shift a good few stone by next summer. I can eat generally healthy but just have no motivation to exercise after work, doesn't help that I don't have a gym membership now.

I find running outdoors extremely boring (either that or it's too hard for me now) and don't have a bike at the minute. Am I best going to the gym and going to regular classes and doing a lot of cardio work or buying a bike and cycling regularly?

I'm guessing it's down to the individual and what I would prefer?

You're last sentence nailed it. Try out different types exercise and find out what you enjoy. You can only force yourself so far to do something you don't like. To get long term results you need to be be doing something you look forward to, to get the consistency/intensity that brings good results.

Never done it myself tbh always done HIIT instead.

Always done a mix of HIIT and SSCV, but have hit a bit of a wall in terms of shifting fat and decided to try something different. Frustrating myself in that I have a decent set of abs and have put on a good amount of muscle mass since the start of the year when I added in a bit of weights on top of that, but just can't shift what is left of my belly.

Change of diet would probably help, but I'm not vain enough that I'll give up cake and takeaways.

I'm ridiculously skinny, 5.11 with a 30inch waste. Reasonably fit cardio wise but don't have a single muscle in my body. What should I be doing? Easy access to the gym and don't mind going when I have the motivation just not sure what I should be doing when I get there. Looking to build muscle and tone up quite a bit.

Pulled or teared a muscle in my lower chest playing football. This preventing me from going to the gym last week and this week so far although I'm still going to do legs this week.

My day job doesn't really help either as I feel it's gotten worse over the past two days. I'm trying to restrict moving my chest as much as possible but having no joys so far. Any recovery tips?

I'm ridiculously skinny, 5.11 with a 30inch waste. Reasonably fit cardio wise but don't have a single muscle in my body. What should I be doing? Easy access to the gym and don't mind going when I have the motivation just not sure what I should be doing when I get there. Looking to build muscle and tone up quite a bit.

Eat loads. It doesn't matter what you do in the gym if you aren't eating enough.

Get the LDN Muscle bulking guide and you can work out what you need to be eating and how much by working it out by your body type. Their exercises are pretty decent too. I would take your time and go through it properly at the start, read it all and don't cut corners. As soon as you start doing that you'll fail.

If you're struggling with form for their exercises, as someone at the gym. People are usually happy to help.

Compound weight training with free weights. Google "stronglifts 5x5" read about that programme. Good place to start but loads of other good places to start as well.

Stronglifts is an excellent program and one I go back to every so often, been doing smolov jnr the past 2 weeks trying to get my bench press up, beat my pb yesterday with a week to go

Also been doing ct fletchers armed warfare and definitely seeing and feeling gains with that

Eat loads. It doesn't matter what you do in the gym if you aren't eating enough.

Get the LDN Muscle bulking guide and you can work out what you need to be eating and how much by working it out by your body type. Their exercises are pretty decent too. I would take your time and go through it properly at the start, read it all and don't cut corners. As soon as you start doing that you'll fail.

If you're struggling with form for their exercises, as someone at the gym. People are usually happy to help.

Bad advice imo. I'm naturally quite slim and tried to bulk up too quickly. Ended up putting on fat as well as muscle. Depends what you want to do. For me I want to add strength for playing football and just because I enjoy working out. Some guys seem more focussed on putting on mass regardless of fitness and/or putting on fat.

Going from 2000 calories to 3500 overnight isn't going to work. Do it in steps and adjust.

Bad advice imo. I'm naturally quite slim and tried to bulk up too quickly. Ended up putting on fat as well as muscle. Depends what you want to do. For me I want to add strength for playing football and just because I enjoy working out. Some guys seem more focussed on putting on mass regardless of fitness and/or putting on fat.

Going from 2000 calories to 3500 overnight isn't going to work. Do it in steps and adjust.

Also about the quality of food you are eating. If someone is eating shite and saying "its ok im bulking and need the calories" then they will, of course, put on weight. I agree that doing it overnight wont work for everyone

Felt the caloric deficit debate was inbound again. Sound the klaxon.

Calorific deficit is how I lost weight. However as a result my metabolism is now skew-iff since it's near enough impossible for me to put on weight now and it's rather easy for me to drop 2/3lbs in a week or so. May sound good but it's an absolute hassle trying to build upper body strength. Legs don't seem to be an issue though which is what I tend to focus on.

Calorific deficit is how I lost weight. However as a result my metabolism is now skew-iff since it's near enough impossible for me to put on weight now and it's rather easy for me to drop 2/3lbs in a week or so. May sound good but it's an absolute hassle trying to build upper body strength. Legs don't seem to be an issue though which is what I tend to focus on.

Your last two sentences sound like they are mutually exclusive