The get fit, stay fit thread

I wasn't monitoring my caloric intake but I can guess I was eating around 2,600-3,000 per day as I was gaining weight.

So I've started going to the gym and cut my intake down to 1,500 - monitoring it on myfitnesspal.

I was speaking to a guy who works at the gym and he said I shouldn't cut it that low, and told me to start eating 1,800. So I did. Then he's now just told me I should bring it up to 2,200. He says this'll help my metabolism and will ultimately lead to any weight I lose staying off. Is this right or am I fine at 1,500-1,800? Exercising twice a week.

I'd say 1800 is a good amount. That's about my BMR and what I aim for as well.

I have a desk job so my actual calorie expenditure isn't much more than my BMR.

I stick at my BMR so I know that everything I do, walking or working out is putting me further into that calorie deficit for the day. Eating 2200 would mean I'd need to work off 400 calories just to start on the deficit.

I'd also suggest spreading the calories out evenly over the day and eating something small every 2-3 hours rather than having big meals with 5 or 6 hours between them. That'll stop you being starving and then wanting to binge eat.

If you want to lose body fat and are happy eating 1500 cals a day then go for it. It's a big drop from 3000 though. As mentioned it depends on the person and it's just a case of making adjustments as time goes on you'll soon learn what works for you.

40 fags and a fry up a day keeps the doctor away

Caught a dose of manflu 3 weeks ago and tried to cure it by drinking several litres of gin when I was home. Not done anything since. Really need to get back into regular exercise

Standard 1970's pro footballer fitness regime then...

Caught a dose of manflu 3 weeks ago and tried to cure it by drinking several litres of gin when I was home. Not done anything since. Really need to get back into regular exercise.

Try it again but this time chuck a lemsip powder into each shot and you'll be right as rain in no time.

I'm liking stronglifts. I've increased my squat by 50% in a couple of weeks. I find the upper body exercises harder (overhead press and bench press) but will keep persevering.

Am continuing running in between sessions as well, it's enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies if this has been mentioned on here, but does anyone use a fitness/activity tracker?

Any thoughts on them?

I only used it to track my diet for a bit. After doing it a couple of days I learned nothing new and found no use for it. Also hard to measure the amount of calories burned with the sport I do. They are popular though so maybe a useful tool for you.

I've been trying olympic lifting and bulgarian lifting. That combined with some cardio (about an hour on the treadmill) straight after, then a protein shake has made a big difference.

Each to their own but an hour on the treadmill would bore the tits off me. I prefer 20 minute HIIT on the bike. Edited by Dark Blue