The get fit, stay fit thread

Downloaded the Freeletics app the other day and done one of the workouts on there. Left me absolutely fucked after only around 15 minutes. Will stick with it for a while and see how I get on with alternating between that and the bike. Managed an hour on the bike yesterday afternoon while watching the FA Cup games, alternating from low to medium to high resistance every 20 seconds.

Just now, TheScarf said:

A good diet and plenty of #protein and #lifting keeps you lean lads.

This is what i think basically and why I am wary of these programmes people go on when they are happy to pay £50 a month for a set work out and meal plan. Totally unnecessary unless you are training for something specific such as a marathon. 

2 minutes ago, throbber said:

This is what i think basically and why I am wary of these programmes people go on when they are happy to pay £50 a month for a set work out and meal plan. Totally unnecessary unless you are training for something specific such as a marathon. 

It really is.  I find a good diet and weight training sees me lose more weight and stay lean than a good diet and cardio.  Seems a strange concept but it's been the case with me.

It really is.  I find a good diet and weight training sees me lose more weight and stay lean than a good diet and cardio.  Seems a strange concept but it's been the case with me.

Dunno, having just properly started on the weights I can easily say that the amount of energy I'm using to do them seems ridiculous. Totally understand that.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

My diet is relatively OK, maybe eat a little too much pasta and bread but that's about it. I enjoy hammering the cardio, always found doing weights a bit boring after a while.

Just now, TheScarf said:

Yes - also everyone is different with what exercise they want to do. For example I really dislike running just for the sake of being fit, I much prefer playing football or badminton and both of these have a positive social aspect attached. I went for about two years going to the gym and going on the running machine then rowing machine and a few weights and i really didn't enjoy myself and it was a slog for me going but with actually playing sports i really want to go and get something out of it. 

If people are out of shape they should be aware of the cause of it and be able to cut it out without having to sign up for these programmes, these hit work outs are great and you can get plenty of them on youtube or just improvise and do what ever works for you but just so long as you are breaking a sweat and are pushing yourself. I was doing a sit up/press up routine where i didn't really feel that i was losing weight or gaining any strength doing anything for a while and it was probably ultimately a waste of time. 

There really isn't anything complicated about the actual training/diet process.  Compound weights exercises, cardio on days in between with at least one day off a week, and straightening out diet/cutting down on booze is all that has to be done.  Having said that though I've yet to get back to my normal routine after xmas/NY hoping to get back into it tomorrow.

Edited by Kool Keith

I just find myself turning a bit gorrilla-shaped when I do too much in the gym. My weight doesn't change but suddenly tops are too tight under the arms. I find running good for cutting down the bulk that I seem to put on in the gym. Started doing a metafit class too. 25 minutes of hell. 

14 minutes ago, Kool Keith said:

There really isn't anything complicated about the actual training/diet process.  Compound weights exercises, cardio on days in between with at least one day off a week, and straightening out diet/cutting down on booze is all that has to be done.  Having said that though I've yet to get back to my normal routine after xmas/NY hoping to get back into it tomorrow.

And you have to actually enjoy the exercise/activity. Just dragging yourself out to do it when there isn't anything else in it for you doesn't work long term and you will look for the first opportunity to get out of it.

Figure out what your macros are(plenty of calculators online), follow your macros and eat what you want as long as it fits yours macros. Although saying that whole foods are more filling and better for you than junk food. I eat a bar of chocolate everyday and treat myself quite a lot most weekends and I've seen great results. Stay active and I'd suggest to lift heavy as I find it's gives better results but everyone has a different body. If lifting isn't for you, find a sport that is fun and keeps you active.

I'm not keen on the If It Fits Your Macros idea because of what you've mentioned basically, a lot of people will neglect good food sources.  If it works for people who struggle to eat well consistently though then it's definitely a good approach.

Edited by Kool Keith

I started lifting weights - basically dumbbells and a kettle bell -  last year mainly to try something different before starting work (work evenings), and have to agree there's a lot to The Scarf's argument that this plus a good diet will keep you trim. Before that I was mainly doing cardio workouts and most likely over-running, but it wasn't until I mixed it up a little that I felt a lot fitter, trimmer and improved running times too.

Diet is massive though. There's tons of information, diet plans etc out there that no one should be paying £50 or whatever it was for a meal plan. For a month or so I was eating a raw/fresh food diet and felt amazing. No brain fog, mild depressive thoughts etc, and that was basically going and buying a shit load of vegetables, fruits, drinking as little soft drinks as possible, and limiting caffeine whilst trying to limit carbs like bread/pasta.

Alcohol has a massive effect on my energy levels the next day. Anything over 5 beers then the only thing I can be bothered doing is walking. It's hardly science but my running times are lot worse after tanning the booze.

Best thing though is to have a diary or write down your plans. Do it weekly too rather than monthly, much easier to complete and you will feel a sense of achievement at the end of it. Mix it up even if it's just cardio - swim, cycle, run, walk and so on, and on the day before a rest day after your exercise - if you fancy a few beers, pizza, or whatever, go for it. It's over-used but it works everything in moderation, and if e.g you love beer, pizza, don't completely cut it out from your diet, just eat it far less than before, and you'll really appreciate it too.

No booze for three months, lasted since NYE so far.

I've not had a drink since the 1st. I'm going to a stag do in Warsaw on the 24th of February, so that will be 7 weeks. Shamefully, it'll be the longest I'll have gone without a drink in about 15 years.