The get fit, stay fit thread

Fucked up on the bike. Took me 30 seconds to work our how to get it started and then when I jumped off at the end there was no blue roll nearby so had to nip to the other side of the gym to get some and clean the sweat off. Run was a bit of a toughie but given the weekend I had I am surprised I managed it at all. Be disappointed if im not at least 90 seconds quicker the next time I try this.

C6003945-8022-416F-9730-7BDB55ABEA55.png

The bike is my downfall. No idea ho to improve it without killing myself before the run.
[mention=7586]Ross[/mention]. I had the blue roll at hand so I could wipe it down as soon as I had completed the 5K on the bike. Just hung it over the back
This is the problem and actually when I took 90 secs off my time the other night I was slower on the row. Theres some optimising to be done for sure. Thats what makes it interesting. You can think about your best times for each one all you want but its a different animal stringing them together as fast as you can

On 21/08/2019 at 10:57, nsr said:

I've been walking to work for the best part of a year. According to the pedometer app on my phone it's about 3.65 miles either way and I am burning ~1000 calories a day.

I'm still a fat b*****d though. What gives?

Just noticed this. You're not burning anywhere near 1000 calories walking seven miles. Maybe half of it if you're lucky.

9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

The bike is my downfall. No idea ho to improve it without killing myself before the run.
@Ross. I had the blue roll at hand so I could wipe it down as soon as I had completed the 5K on the bike. Just hung it over the back

I don’t mind the bike so much, problem last night was that as soon as i got on i went into default mode and instead of hitting “quick start” i done the preset routine I usually do so it started asking for age/weight/time etc instead of counting the distance I covered in the first 30-45 seconds. Between that and the blue roll being elsewhere I lost just under 2 minutes. Last few weeks when using the bike I have been hammering in 10k in just under 20 minutes so I know exactly how long it should be taking to do half that!

9 hours ago, Bairnardo said:
9 hours ago, lichtie23 said:
[mention=7586]Ross[/mention]. I had the blue roll at hand so I could wipe it down as soon as I had completed the 5K on the bike. Just hung it over the back

This is the problem and actually when I took 90 secs off my time the other night I was slower on the row. Theres some optimising to be done for sure. Thats what makes it interesting. You can think about your best times for each one all you want but its a different animal stringing them together as fast as you can

I felt fine going onto the treadmill last night and went all out. First 3 minutes done at 20 minute pace(5k time, obviously...) and then the legs just stopped and I had to really slow down to finish it. A little too keen to take you all on!

Edited by Ross.

Finally joined the 100 club (technically 102kg as it was 225lbs) last night for bench press. I was aiming for 1 rep, managed 2 considered trying for a 3rd but shat out as I wasn't using a spotter, still I'm delighted to finally get it done. My aim for the end of the year now is to be benching 225lbs 3x5 

1 hour ago, Torpar said:

Finally joined the 100 club (technically 102kg as it was 225lbs) last night for bench press. I was aiming for 1 rep, managed 2 considered trying for a 3rd but shat out as I wasn't using a spotter, still I'm delighted to finally get it done. My aim for the end of the year now is to be benching 225lbs 3x5 

Nice one.

My goals at the start of this year were to get bigger and stronger, but then switched to focus more on running. I have the Glasgow Half in four weeks, I'm hoping to get in the 1:30s, and then I'm just going to eat shedloads over the winter and lift loads of weights.

Feel I have piled the weight on post holiday and then a long weekend. Only 1/2kg up but lost all definition.

As an aside, I have never really set myself a bench target - mainly as I do dumbbell press more than bar and not comfortable maxing out without a spotter. Struggling to get past 34's though (4x8 or 3x10) - superset with one arm rows with the same weight.

Anyone got any shoulder exercises they enjoy? I love shoulders but bored of 1/2 my workout.

I was on holiday last week and had been on a diet for 3 months prior. Nothing drastic but went from just over 16 stone to just under 15 stone - I haven't weighed less than 15 stone for about 6 years.

Got a wedding coming up so intend to stick to the holiday diet until after that. Once that's passed I intend to try and add a bit of decent muscle back on. Between shifting over a stone in weight and having a back injury for a couple of months, some of the weights that I could throw around a few months ago have become a real struggle recently.

Might have another go at the triathlon before becoming a big fat b*****d again though...

You could try landmine shoulder-to-shoulder presses or linear jammers. You don't really need a landmine, I just wedge mine into an old t-shirt in the corner of my rack.

34 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Overhead / military press with a barbell.

Pull ups and/or chin ups.

Arnold press.

Yup, variations of those 3 are the 1/2 I enjoy.

Push press for 5 reps then 5 pull ups. Do that 4 times as a superset then Arnold press 3x10.

Here's my split if anyone's interested. Currently running it on a cut.

Day 1 - Bench Day (Chest, Triceps)

Bench Press
Close-Grip Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Dumbbell Bench Press
Seated Tricep Extension
Tricep Cable Push-Down

Day 2 - Squat Day (Legs, Core)

Squat
Standing Calf Raise
Front Squat
Romanian Deadlift
Barbell Rollout
Landmine 180s
Cable Crunch

Day 3 - Overhead Press Day (Shoulders, Arms)

Overhead Press
Push Press
Dumbbell Shoulder Press
Seated Tricep Extension
Barbell Bicep Curl
Tricep Cable-Push Down
Dumbbell Hammer Curl

Day 4 - Deadlift Day (Back, Biceps, Core)

Deadlift
Barbell Row
One-Arm Dumbbell Row
Barbell Bicep Curl
Dumbbell Hammer Curl
Barbell Rollout
Landmine 180s
Cable Crunch

Day 5 - Arms Day (Arms)

EZ Tricep Extension
EZ Bicep Curl
Chin-Ups
Dips

It looks like a lot, but I'm fortunate to work in a school that has an excellent fitness suite that I am literally the only person to use, so I don't have to wait on any equipment, and I superset opposing exercises if I'm pushed for time. I usually get finished in about 50 minutes. I also have a half-rack and about 150kg Olympic Weights at home that I can use at home. I generally do the first four days at school (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday) and the fifth day at home (Saturday). I'm going to run it on a cut until the Glasgow Half and then maybe switch it up a bit for when I start bulking.

Any chance I could see this too, please? 

Course mate. Send me a pm with your email.

I have a split with exercise plus food plan. Its a 8 week plan which i got absolutely ripped from. Was tough going right enough.

Can also send loads of other shit to help you

That is quite a lot, Gaz. I’ve a 4 day split, horizontal press/pull, vertical press/pull, legs and then disco pump (arms). 

Vertical:

Standing push press (4x5), pull up (4x5) Arnold press (3x10), wide grip lat pull down (10x3), side raises (3x10), front raises (3x10). 

Horizontal:

Dumbell/bar bench press (4x8 or 3x10), one arm dumbbell row (same), incline press (3x10), bet over row (3x10), close grip lat pull down (3x10), cable flies (3x10)

Legs:

Squats (normally 5x6), walking lunges (3x10 per leg), leg extension (3x10), hamstring curl (3x10)

Disco pump:

Close grip bench press (3x10), seated one arm curls (3x10), spider curls (3x10), incline bicep curl (3x10), skull crushers (3x10), rope pushdown (3x10).

Throw in seated row, leg press, seated chest press, deadlift/hex if I have time and the machines or areas are available. Usually do a 7 minute core exercise at the start of the odd session too. Really sacked cardio recently which is bad.

Edited by Muzza81