The get fit, stay fit thread

On 06/02/2020 at 10:43, Shandon Par said:

Found this to be such an easy way to knock off weight. Two days a week you're almost starving yourself but it feels good. Doing cardio those days feels great. Weight drops off really quick then to maintain it just do it once a week. 

https://thefastdiet.co.uk/

I'm giving this a go. First fast day today. It does not feel good right now.

Any fast day recipe recommendations? 

1 hour ago, die hard doonhamer said:

I'm giving this a go. First fast day today. It does not feel good right now.

Any fast day recipe recommendations? 

Stuff that doesn’t trigger your appetite - ie not white bread type stuff. Plenty of herbal teas - peppermint a good appetite suppressant. Black coffee. Soup is good too. A massive bowl still gets nowhere near your calorie limit. Scrambled eggs and chorizo or even fresh chillies. 
You might start to like the feeling of your stomach growling a bit and you can look forward to eating properly the next day. 

6 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Stuff that doesn’t trigger your appetite - ie not white bread type stuff. Plenty of herbal teas - peppermint a good appetite suppressant. Black coffee. Soup is good too. A massive bowl still gets nowhere near your calorie limit. Scrambled eggs and chorizo or even fresh chillies. 
You might start to like the feeling of your stomach growling a bit and you can look forward to eating properly the next day. 

Agree with the last bit. Once you realise you don't have to go and automatically eat just because you have hunger pangs, you get used to it. 

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, MixuFixit said:

I've normally done 3 days: Back/Chest, Arms/Shoulders and Legs. I need to condense this into 2 days so I was thinking of dropping one or two things off the back/chest and leg days and slotting what was in my arms/shoulders day into these.

Alternatively I could keep arms/shoulders as is and alternate the chest/back and leg days each week.

Anyone been in a similar situation? What worked for you?

I would make sure you train legs once a week every week, alternate the other two imo 

Had a scare at the gym the other night, I was benching and was feeling good so  I put 120 on the bar got an easy 3 reps and racked it. Thought why not try a heavy single, so I put 130kg on the bar. asked a boy across on the shoulder press for a spot. I say to him 'don't need a lift off just make sure I don't drop it on my neck or that' I lift the bar off the rack he then grabs it straight away before I can descend. I then with 130kg in hand have to say 'I'm fine mate' then do the rep.  Why do people do these things.

2 hours ago, staggy1929 said:

Had a scare at the gym the other night, I was benching and was feeling good so  I put 120 on the bar got an easy 3 reps and racked it. Thought why not try a heavy single, so I put 130kg on the bar. asked a boy across on the shoulder press for a spot. I say to him 'don't need a lift off just make sure I don't drop it on my neck or that' I lift the bar off the rack he then grabs it straight away before I can descend. I then with 130kg in hand have to say 'I'm fine mate' then do the rep.  Why do people do these things.

Bizarre behaviour, I've had people grab the bar too quick on me before and I've seen some other weird stuff from other people, in my last gym there were two Bulgarian fellas who spotted each other for preacher curls, but that just sounds dangerous. 

I accidentally achieved a new deadlift PR  yesterday, probably lightweight for some of the monsters on his thread but still happy with it considering I only started deadlifting seriously again late last year. I meant to lift 300lbs/136kg after lifting 295lbs/133kg. I should have added a 2.5 lb plate on each end, instead I added 5lb plates and lifted 305lbs/138kg . Again not a lot of weight to some on here but I was happy with my accidental PR. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hit a new deadlift PR again on Friday, 315lbs (3 plates), felt I could have done more but I wanted to get in some bench press before the gym closed. I used to hate deadlifts, I would put one plate on and quickly do a few sets, just to get it done. But since moving to my current gym I've taken a real interest in deadlifts and have seen a rapid improvement. If I concentrate on working on all the accessories I'd love to get up to 405lbs (4 plates) by the end of the year.

I was told by one of the trainers that I'm using the wrong belt though, I have a weightlifting belt but need a powerlifting belt, any one have any recommendations? Preferable a brand that's 'pre broken in'

I also tried stacking my pre workout stuff, Redcon1 Total War with a "pump" product Redcon1 Big Noise for the first time on Friday, didn't mix well, didn't taste very good but by f**k I was flying when it kicked in!

I've normally done 3 days: Back/Chest, Arms/Shoulders and Legs. I need to condense this into 2 days so I was thinking of dropping one or two things off the back/chest and leg days and slotting what was in my arms/shoulders day into these.

Alternatively I could keep arms/shoulders as is and alternate the chest/back and leg days each week.

You could do this

1. One leg exercise, one push movement, triceps

2. One leg exercise, one pulling movement, biceps

If you’re working hard you’ll find that very effective!

On 24/02/2020 at 13:02, MixuFixit said:

I do 2 days weights. Squat/bench/pull ups one day and Squat/military press/rows the other. Do a quick bit of arm work at the end of both days. 

On 09/03/2020 at 18:40, MixuFixit said:

Aye I do maybe 30% of the volume as on back/leg days and it is totally for my own vanity emoji38.png

Curls for the gurls.

I'm up to day 71 of my attempted 366-day streak. Going well although I've had to resort to the treadmill a bit more than I'd like as I'm just heart-sick of this shitty, shitty weather. Grinding out six miles on the treadmill yesterday was not fun.

I'm midway through my 18-week training plan for the Edinburgh Half as well. On track for a sub-1:40.

Also running a version of 5/3/1 BBB to keep the muscle mass. Won't be breaking any PRs any time soon but I'm definitely losing fat and keeping a fair bit of definition.

Any tips for exercising when you are avoiding the gym in case of coronavirus?

I think I have an old barbell in the garage and have a few weights but not enough to maintain my current programme. Also my garage roof is too low to do overhead press and I don’t have a squat rack. So deadlifts it is...

3 hours ago, ICTChris said:

I think I have an old barbell in the garage and have a few weights but not enough to maintain my current programme. Also my garage roof is too low to do overhead press and I don’t have a squat rack. So deadlifts it is...

Get yourself a few resistance bands. 

Learn the (power) clean and do front squats

Gym is closed until the 19th of April. Need to rattle through the basement and find my dumbbells and come up with a home routine that prevents me from turning into a fat mess again.

My local gym is run by the council and has closed for the foreseeable. There's a local Pure Gym thats still open and I was considering joining in the meantime but decided against it. In the grand scheme of things it's probably more risk than it's worth given the goings on.

I've ordered some resistance bands to use at home and will probably go the odd run to keep the fitness up. I've been a regular gym goer for about 10 years but have 0 experience with resistance bands. Any exercises or programs that folk can recommend would be much appreciated.