Comic Book Movies (and TV Shows)

forehead7

Ben Affleck suffered a media backlash after his relationship with Jennifer Lopez became a media frenzy. His films and acting performances got absolutely panned. I have never seen Gigli but I did see Jersey Girl which was universally panned. I thought Ben Affleck was great in that. His recent movies have been superb, mainly as he has directed them. He is superb in the Town and in Argo if it wasn't for him being Ben Affleck his performance would have been nominated.

His body of work is excellent. Okay he chased money a lot of the time, but so have most actors. Michael Caine always states that Jaws IV allowed him a lovely new home etc. More importantly this large pay day will allow Affleck to produce and direct indie films for longer.

I can't remember when an announcement on a comic book portrayal never received criticism. Anne Hathaway, Heath Ledger, Tom Hardy etc all put fanboys panties in a twist when they were announced. DC and Warner have cast their previous films well.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just seen the trailer for Captain America: Winter Soldier and I think it looks fucking great! which is surprising to me because the only films i've really liked out of all the Avengers flicks (including Avengers Assemble itself) has been the Iron Man series. The rest have all been pretty meh to me. Looking forward to it.

I have a question though, Cap got given the supersoldier serum which made him the peak of human fitness etc but how has it magically taught him to fight? He's pulling off all these moves and there has been nothing to suggest he's had any training of any kind.

I just seen the trailer for Captain America: Winter Soldier and I think it looks fucking great! which is surprising to me because the only films i've really liked out of all the Avengers flicks (including Avengers Assemble itself) has been the Iron Man series. The rest have all been pretty meh to me. Looking forward to it.

I have a question though, Cap got given the supersoldier serum which made him the peak of human fitness etc but how has it magically taught him to fight? He's pulling off all these moves and there has been nothing to suggest he's had any training of any kind.

In the first film he was at an army training camp, im guessing tho it didnt show it there was hand to hand combat classes. im also guessing that when he joined SHIELD they also gave him some additional training/resources

Agreed tho i seen the trailer last night and looks much better, the problem you had with the origin story is that it is in that WW era and therefore you have to play within the rules of it (with the expection of the technology made from the tecesarct)

With the success of the Avengers I think studios are more willing to gamble on some of the lesser known heroes as well. I notice Ant Man is on the verge of getting its lead man which was between Paul Rudd and Joseph Gordon Levitt tho has been a rumour Rudd has got it (gutted as would of like to see JGL doing it)

The new Captain America film should be ace.

The new Thor film looks immense. I'm going to see it next Friday. Thor was my favourite film of all the Avengers leading up to Avengers Assemble so really looking forward it and the trailers look immense. The director has directed loads of episdoes of Game Of Thrones and seemingly has brought some of that ethos over. Christopher Ecclestone is always enjoyable and Thor and Loki teaming up will be brilliant. Also Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are always welcome on my screen.

I saw some brief clips of the new X-Men film. It was just a couple of slowed down bits, but it's shaping up to be amazing from what I hear. The cast is fantastic and the storyline sounds ace.

Is this going to be set in the same 'universe' as the Avengers or is it independent of it? I know that Guardians Of The Galaxy is set in the same 'universe' (in both senses!) as the Avengers.

The new Captain America film should be ace.

The new Thor film looks immense. I'm going to see it next Friday. Thor was my favourite film of all the Avengers leading up to Avengers Assemble so really looking forward it and the trailers look immense. The director has directed loads of episdoes of Game Of Thrones and seemingly has brought some of that ethos over. Christopher Ecclestone is always enjoyable and Thor and Loki teaming up will be brilliant. Also Natalie Portman and Kat Dennings are always welcome on my screen.

I saw some brief clips of the new X-Men film. It was just a couple of slowed down bits, but it's shaping up to be amazing from what I hear. The cast is fantastic and the storyline sounds ace.

Is this going to be set in the same 'universe' as the Avengers or is it independent of it? I know that Guardians Of The Galaxy is set in the same 'universe' (in both senses!) as the Avengers.

With the Xmen film its a different timeline thats used created from the First Class era and taking us into the era of the first films so its anyones guess. I will forgive the film alot (including questionable timelines and characters) if they get the Sentinals right. If they do I will be a gibbering fan boy when it comes out. Agreed with the cast and characters tho should be cracking

With the Xmen film its a different timeline thats used created from the First Class era and taking us into the era of the first films so its anyones guess. I will forgive the film alot (including questionable timelines and characters) if they get the Sentinals right. If they do I will be a gibbering fan boy when it comes out. Agreed with the cast and characters tho should be cracking

It's not going to be an exact replication of the comic book it's based on. In fact they've already stated that they've changed a lot of the storyline because it's based on the comic book and is was never going to be a film version of that story. For one thing it's Wolverine that will be doing the time travelling in the film. Folk can't really get upset when it deviates from the comic, as no one ever said it was going to be the film of the comic, much like the next Avengers film will not be the same as the comic it's based on.

It would be excellent if Wolverine was in the next Avengers film mind.

He's just trained hard. Probably something you're not likely to see since it'd be boring but he has. (also at one point you see Cap punching a punching bad then Fury comes in and asks him if he's ready, I guess it's assumed he learned there)

He's just trained hard. Probably something you're not likely to see since it'd be boring but he has. (also at one point you see Cap punching a punching bad then Fury comes in and asks him if he's ready, I guess it's assumed he learned there)

The bit with the punching bag is just before the events of Avengers Assemble. In WWII he was doing those silly wee shows to sell bullets then after Tommy Lee Jones calls him out in Italy he decides to go and rescue Bucky et al from the Hyrda facility and suddenly starts taking names.

It's the type of thing I bother about mind. I liked the first Captain American film and the second one is looking quality.

Seemingly there is going to be a Hawkeye film as well as Hawkeye is apparently a major character in the next Avengers film. Oh and James Spader is playing (or voicing, no one knows yet) Ultron.

Edited by DA Baracus

The bit with the punching bag is just before the events of Avengers Assemble. In WWII he was doing those silly wee shows to sell bullets then after Tommy Lee Jones calls him out in Italy he decides to go and rescue Bucky et al from the Hyrda facility and suddenly starts taking names.

It's the type of thing I bother about mind. I liked the first Captain American film and the second one is looking quality.

Seemingly there is going to be a Hawkeye film as well as Hawkeye is apparently a major character in the next Avengers film. Oh and James Spader is playing (or voicing, no one knows yet) Ultron.

Ah right, yeah it was a bit of a quick transition. Although perhaps he was always a decent fighter but just didn't have the physical capacity to compete with fully grown guys (like the guy who beat him up in the alley as a scrawny kid).

I'd imagine a Hawkeye film will heavily focus on him and Black Widow, probably include a fair amount of SHIELD and Nick Fury/Maria Hill too. Could be good. I thought the rumour was Hawkeye was gonna be written out because Renner was being a p***k.

Just looked it up and Spader is pretty much the same height that Ultron is (he's he five foot nine and a half and Ultron is 6 even) so they could motion capture him or whatever but he has to be a robot, I wouldn't want it to be a man who turns into an AI or whatever. Voice as well, obviously, will be used.

Ah right, yeah it was a bit of a quick transition. Although perhaps he was always a decent fighter but just didn't have the physical capacity to compete with fully grown guys (like the guy who beat him up in the alley as a scrawny kid).

I'd imagine a Hawkeye film will heavily focus on him and Black Widow, probably include a fair amount of SHIELD and Nick Fury/Maria Hill too. Could be good. I thought the rumour was Hawkeye was gonna be written out because Renner was being a p***k.

Just looked it up and Spader is pretty much the same height that Ultron is (he's he five foot nine and a half and Ultron is 6 even) so they could motion capture him or whatever but he has to be a robot, I wouldn't want it to be a man who turns into an AI or whatever. Voice as well, obviously, will be used.

Never heard that about Renner being a dick. Bad chat if true. The casting has been pretty spot on in the Avengers movies so far. Black Widow is going to be in Cap II quite a bit and there are rumours about a Black Widow film as well as a Nick Fury film.

Yeah I think Spader will mostly be the voice of Ultron. Since Ant Man won't be introduced until after Age Of Ultron, the betting is on Tony Stark creating Ultron using a lot of the Iron Man technology. It could also be the end for Stark...

Edited by DA Baracus

Never heard that about Renner being a dick. Bad chat if true. The casting has been pretty spot on in the Avengers movies so far. Black Widow is going to be in Cap II quite a bit and there are rumours about a Black Widow film as well as a Nick Fury film.

Yeah I think Spader will mostly be the voice of Ultron. Since Ant Man won't be introduced until after Age Of Ultron, the betting is on Tony Stark creating Ultron using a lot of the Iron Man technology. It could also be the end for Stark...

Maybe it wasn't him but I thought I'd heard about it, though it was a while back. I knew BW was gonna be in The Winter Soldier, I figured that having her turn up in that and a Hawkeye would be sufficient. There'd be quite a lot of crossover in separate Hawkeye and Black Widow films and Fury would turn up a fair amount too. A Fury film would be good since he's been about for ages.

Yeah, seems logical.

If Hawkeye is going to be such a pivotal figure in Age Of Ultron then he either has to have a large role in a Black Widow film or have his own film. Since Black Widow is in Cap II, the latter is more likely.

It would be ace if the mid credit scene of the new X-Mem film had Coulson and/or Fury meeting Wolverine

If Hawkeye is going to be such a pivotal figure in Age Of Ultron then he either has to have a large role in a Black Widow film or have his own film. Since Black Widow is in Cap II, the latter is more likely.

It would be ace if the mid credit scene of the new X-Mem film had Coulson and/or Fury meeting Wolverine

I'd like to see the X-Men be brought into the Marvel film universe but as Fox or Sony own the rights to them (I can never remember who has what franchise outside of Marvel) it's not gonna happen. I think that both Days of Future Past and Avengers: Age of Ultron are going to have their own versions of the Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver, although in one of them they aren't allowed to be acknowledged by their superhero names (I think the Avengers will have to call them Wanda and Pietro). That's probably going to put a halt to the X-Men being in a Marvel Studios film any time soon.

As for Ultron, Marvel's president spoke out in the middle of the week and confirmed that James Spader wasn't just cast to do a voice-over, so it seems he'll be doing a lot of motion-capture work. Probably not too unsimilar to what Mark Ruffalo had to do for the role of the Hulk in the first Avengers film.

Also it seems likely that Ultron will come from Stark technology. The comic-con teaser apparently had an Iron Man mask that started to slowly changed until it had morphed into the face of Ultron. There's also been a lot of rumours that Tony's artificial intelligence Jarvis will be corrupted and combined into an Iron Man suit and that will be the origin of Ultron. It's a nice idea and they have already set up the idea of an Iron Man suit operating without a human inside it in Iron Man 3.

I'd like to see the X-Men be brought into the Marvel film universe but as Fox or Sony own the rights to them (I can never remember who has what franchise outside of Marvel) it's not gonna happen. I think that both Days of Future Past and Avengers: Age of Ultron are going to have their own versions of the Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver, although in one of them they aren't allowed to be acknowledged by their superhero names (I think the Avengers will have to call them Wanda and Pietro). That's probably going to put a halt to the X-Men being in a Marvel Studios film any time soon.

Also it seems likely that Ultron will come from Stark technology. The comic-con teaser apparently had an Iron Man mask that started to slowly changed until it had morphed into the face of Ultron. There's also been a lot of rumours that Tony's artificial intelligence Jarvis will be corrupted and combined into an Iron Man suit and that will be the origin of Ultron. It's a nice idea and they have already set up the idea of an Iron Man suit operating without a human inside it in Iron Man 3.

Fox is X-Men, Sony is Spider-man. Fantastic Four is also still Fox.

I thought they both had the rights to the characters so they can both be called Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but because Fox has the X-Men rights, they can't be called mutants in Avengers nor can they mention Magneto because he's owned by Fox. Is Scarlet Witch even confirmed to appear in either? I know they've cast Quicksilver in both but X-Men comes out in May so I'd be surprised if Scarlet Witch was involved in that. Still plenty of time for her to be cast in Avengers though.

Yeah, now it's been mentioned, I really like the idea for Iron Man to create it.

Fox is X-Men, Sony is Spider-man. Fantastic Four is also still Fox.

I thought they both had the rights to the characters so they can both be called Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch but because Fox has the X-Men rights, they can't be called mutants in Avengers nor can they mention Magneto because he's owned by Fox. Is Scarlet Witch even confirmed to appear in either? I know they've cast Quicksilver in both but X-Men comes out in May so I'd be surprised if Scarlet Witch was involved in that. Still plenty of time for her to be cast in Avengers though.

Yeah, now it's been mentioned, I really like the idea for Iron Man to create it.

I'm pretty sure Scarlett Witch is going to be in Avengers: Age of Ultron, but now I think about it I have only seen Quicksilver confirmed for Days of Future Past. I just assumed that she would be in it as they generally appear together. I could be wrong about the whole name thing. You're definitely right about Marvel not being able to refer to Magneto or their mutant heritage though. But I did read a while back that they were also unable to use the names Quicksilver or The Scarlett Witch if they used the characters.

Has it been confirmed anywhere that Quicksilver will be Magneto's son in Days of Future Past or if they'll just re-write that part of the character's backstory and have him unrelated to Magneto?