Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

I enjoyed that.  Episode one tends to be a scene-setter, which is exactly what it was, but it managed to get through an awful lot in a short space of time.  I was even surprised it ended when it did - I thought there was surely more time left.  It's built some solid foundations for the rest of the series.

The Jon Snow thing was never likely to be resolved in the first episode, unless you thought he might still have been alive.  The question is whether Melisandre will resurrect him or not.  If this were a normal narrative then of course she would, but we've all seen enough Game of Thrones to not take that for granted!

I wasn't particularly shocked about the reveal at the end.  The "powerful witch uses magic to make herself beautiful" trick is fairly old hat.  Still a surprise, obviously, but wasn't the classic kind of GoT ending that left me crying out for the next one.

Special mention to the Monty Python-esque "five best things in the world" conversation between the Dothraki.

And the less said the better about the Sand Snakes' ropey dialogue and Jorah's astonishing good luck in finding Dany's discarded ring.

I wasn't particularly shocked about the reveal at the end.  The "powerful witch uses magic to make herself beautiful" trick is fairly old hat.  Still a surprise, obviously, but wasn't the classic kind of GoT ending that left me crying out for the next one.

I believe it's known as a "glammer" in the trade.

I enjoyed that.  Episode one tends to be a scene-setter, which is exactly what it was, but it managed to get through an awful lot in a short space of time.  I was even surprised it ended when it did - I thought there was surely more time left.  It's built some solid foundations for the rest of the series.

The Jon Snow thing was never likely to be resolved in the first episode, unless you thought he might still have been alive.  The question is whether Melisandre will resurrect him or not.  If this were a normal narrative then of course she would, but we've all seen enough Game of Thrones to not take that for granted!

Special mention to the Monty Python-esque "five best things in the world" conversation between the Dothraki.

And the less said the better about the Sand Snakes' ropey dialogue and Jorah's astonishing good luck in finding Dany's discarded ring.

This. I'd recorded the 2am viewing to watch in the evening. When I fast forwarded through the last set of adverts I couldnt believe there was only 5 mins or so left.

Really good start to the season

And the less said the better about ...Jorah's astonishing good luck in finding Dany's discarded ring.

Snigger.

In all seriousness though, I found that reminiscent of Aragorn tracking Merry and Pippen in LOTR. Jorah could see from the horse marks where Dany had been stood and she had dropped in right there on purpose for them to find was my take on it.

My take on the end is that for the red witches and wizards to bring someone back to life, they have to sacrafice their own immortality. Because she's about 400 years old, if she wants to bring back Jon Snow she'll likely die.

My precise thought too - See Beric's sacrifice/LS in the books.

I also wondered if Theon might come into Jon's resurrection. He's heading to the wall, he has king's blood and he doesn't really have a purpose/reason to live any more.

The Dorne angle was interesting. I actually thought the Dornish rebellion - led by a patient, brooding Doran was going to be a feature in the next book. I don't think the Sand Snakes are great actresses but hopefully they'll not be so horrifically wasted in Season 6. Certainly a promising start.

Dany just needs to leave Slaver's bay and get her arse back to Westeros. I'm getting close to skipping those scenes now and probably would if there wasn't so much foreshadowing in the show!

Edited by Kyle

Snigger.

In all seriousness though, I found that reminiscent of Aragorn tracking Merry and Pippen in LOTR. Jorah could see from the horse marks where Dany had been stood and she had dropped in right there on purpose for them to find was my take on it.

This. I did wonder how they were going to play that scene, seeing as he seemed to find the ring easily in the trailers. There was a small circle of green around the horse tracks, so I thought they handled that reasonably well.

My precise thought too - See Beric's sacrifice in the books.

How does that play out in the books?  From the series, Thoros of Myr brings Beric Dondarrion back repeatedly, but IIRC there's nothing about Thoros' immortality or lack thereof for us to relate to the Jon Snow situation.  I recall Beric saying he lost a bit of his humanity every time, but nothing about Thoros.

I hadn't considered that.  It was a minor point anyway, but good that it's not as unlikely as it first seemed to me.

How does that play out in the books?  From the series, Thoros of Myr brings Beric Dondarrion back repeatedly, but IIRC there's nothing about Thoros' immortality or lack thereof for us to relate to the Jon Snow situation.  I recall Beric saying he lost a bit of his humanity every time, but nothing about Thoros.

I don't want to get into that too much because there's a chance they'll use at least some elements of the LS storyline in the tv show, but the timeline and the required 'elements' appear to be there. If Melisandre is now without faith, she'd perhaps have the will to do it too.

My precise thought too - See Beric's sacrifice/LS in the books.

I also wondered if Theon might come into Jon's resurrection. He's heading to the wall, he has king's blood and he doesn't really have a purpose/reason to live any more.

The Dorne angle was interesting. I actually thought the Dornish rebellion - led by a patient, brooding Doran was going to be a feature in the next book. I don't think the Sand Snakes are great actresses but hopefully they'll not be so horrifically wasted in Season 6. Certainly a promising start.

Dany just needs to leave Slaver's bay and get her arse back to Westeros. I'm getting close to skipping those scenes now and probably would if there wasn't so much foreshadowing in the show!

I like that take on Theon, he has snaked The Starks and could make one big sacrifice of his blood to save John and get forgiveness for the horrible things he done to their family.

Thats of Mel doesnt revive him, however its GoT and things are never straight forward.

A half decent episode there, the whole Nights Watch scenes with Davos were great, Davos is quickly becoming my favourite character now. I'm quite annoyed at the whole Sand Snakes story for some reason, hopefully it improves now in this series.

I'm also now at the stage of skipping the scenes with Daenerys, IMO, they have been quite awful for the last couple of episodes.

Apart from that, hopefully more of the same with the next episode especially with Bran returning. Hopefully it isn't that long until Gendry and his boat show up again.

A half decent episode there, the whole Nights Watch scenes with Davos were great, Davos is quickly becoming my favourite character now. I'm quite annoyed at the whole Sand Snakes story for some reason, hopefully it improves now in this series.

I'm also now at the stage of skipping the scenes with Daenerys, IMO, they have been quite awful for the last couple of episodes.

Apart from that, hopefully more of the same with the next episode especially with Bran returning. Hopefully it isn't that long until Gendry and his boat show up again.

Danaery adds nothing to the plot, only to show that 1. She's going to be in it till the end and 2. The story is at some point going to boil down to zombies versus dragons.

It doesn't help that she can't act for toffee. One gormless expression and a nice pair of fun bags maketh an actress, apparently.

Edited by Savage Henry

I found it a bit strange that the Kahl just accepted her story that she was Drogo's wife and that was it

I'm willing to run with the idea that stories of a far paler, blonde Targaryen being rode by Khal Drogo would get around within a horde society tbh. They'd hardly need an identity parade to work it out.