Game of Thrones

Quentin Taranbino

20 minutes ago, Fide said:

I don't quite know what you're hoping for.  I'd hardly describe what you saw last night as "just like every other story".

Good guys v Bad guys who are overwhelming favourites.

Looks bleak for good guys and OP bad guy is about to deliver fatal blow. Good guy pull out unexpected heel turn to save the day and everyone you care about survives.

Literally the main plot line of every single Good v Evil plot ever.

Episode was incredible, Dothraki scene had my like Chris Pratt in Park and Recs, and the whole battle, while hard to see, seemed amazing. I'm just annoyed they've spent 7 season building hype for this moment, and what show they would be, and then the route they went down was bog standard Hollywood.

4 minutes ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Shouldn't have even bothered making a TV show.

Not saying that all, the shows incredible.

I'm just underwhelmed by where they've gone with the storyline, and how they got there.

Everyone complaining about it being "too easy" or "too predictable" would have complained regardless of how the Night King was defeated. 

I'm not sure how you can call it easy. The Night King fell from his dragon and survived; he was Dracarysed with gas mark 9 and survived. Him emerging from those flames was a genuine "oh f**k" moment because it looked like nothing could kill him. 

Even Melisandre telling Arya what to do didn't guarantee it would happen. Her track record with predictions makes Mystic Meg look legit. And even then there was that moment when Arya dropped the dagger...

You can claim any good vs evil story where good wins is "predictable": the bad guy is defeated.  It's how it's done that's important, and last night gave genuine doubt that it would actually happen. 

Edited by The Master

46 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It didn't make any sense. The entire plan seemed to be for Ayra to jump at him, and for him to catch her in mid air so her hands are exactly where they need to be so she can drop a knife perfectly from one to the other.

Wait, are you saying you genuinely think the way it happened was the plan all along? She planned to be caught by the neck and drop the dagger?

The plan would be to jump out and stab him in the back, then a bit of improvising and luck once the plan went tits up.

1 minute ago, KnightswoodBear said:

Would folk have been happy if they'd gone full Battlestar Galactica 1980 and killed off most of the main cast and went with previously unknown characters for the last few episodes?  Or would there have been as much bitching and whining about that too?

:lol: theres a difference between literally nobody of note dying, and everyone dying.

1 minute ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Wait, are you saying you genuinely think the way it happened was the plan all along? She planned to be caught by the neck and drop the dagger?

The plan would be to jump out and stab him in the back, then a bit of improvising and luck once the plan went tits up.

I think the plan of somehow running up behind the Night King, when hes surrounded by White Walkers and the dead, is laughably weak.

It just felt like they painted themselves into such a corner of having everyone look utterly fucked, then absolutely bottled it and thought up the cheapest gimmick get out they could think of.

Just now, KnightswoodBear said:

I'm being facetious, obviously.  I think it's safe to assume that plenty of the main cast will get their jotters before the end.

Maybe, maybe its classic game of thrones they survive the dead then die to fellow man, who knows.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

:lol: theres a difference between literally nobody of note dying, and everyone dying.

If it had literally been only main cast members still standing you might have had a point, but there were more survivors than just the key cast. So why is it more likely that, say, Jaime or Brienne should die than some random unsullied?

Would folk have been happy if they'd gone full Battlestar Galactica 1980 and killed off most of the main cast and went with previously unknown characters for the last few episodes?  Or would there have been as much bitching and whining about that too?
This is where the victim of its own success thing rings true.

That and every single possible theory has been put out there by social media and everyone has chosen their prefferred route already. As much as the Red Wedding was mega scenes, people cling on to it too much in terms of GOT being the show where heroes get waxed regularly.

We got the battle we had been waiting for IMO and it was clear that the dead had it sewn up were it not for some effectively divine intervention where Beric, Hound and Melisandre all served to get Arya to where she needed to be, aswell as the backstory of the dagger, her sneaking up on Jon in that very spot before.

The talk seems to be that it has sold out and gone mainstream but basing that on the fact that some major characters were surrounded and not killed..... FFS how many times did Jaime get out of jail early on, how many times has Jon been close to getting it, Tormund too..

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I think the plan of somehow running up behind the Night King, when hes surrounded by White Walkers and the dead, is laughably weak.

It just felt like they painted themselves into such a corner of having everyone look utterly fucked, then absolutely bottled it and thought up the cheapest gimmick get out they could think of.

I agree with a lot of the points you initially made, particularly the number of characters who were shown to be surrounded by the dead and then in their next scene were either 200 yards away from them taking them on one by one or in a completely different place having inexplicably escaped, but I don’t see how there was going to be a satisfying way to kill off the NK in your eyes. He needed to go (unless you wanted the absolutely shite, IMO, storyline of him winning the whole thing and everyone being dead). He needed to go and I was happier with that than some Hollywood hand to hand combat battle tbh.

It's also worth remembering that regardless of past reputation it's not GoT style to kill main characters off for the sake of it.

Ned - executed for trying to be honourable and basically set the whole series rolling (like his head)
Robb - murdered as a result of being a naive boy
Joffrey - murdered to begin the downfall of the Lannisters (and for being a c**t) and begin Tyrion's journey to Danerys 
Tywin - murdered after finally sending Tyrion over the edge
Stannis - Brienne avenging renly

And so on. Even Jorah last night died with a purpose: defending the Queen whom he loved and betrayed.

To have main cast die in battle for no reason other than it's a battle would have been a real cop-out. Sure, you could have had Jamie saving Brienne or vice versa, but that's what played out with Jorah. You can't have that twice without it looking contrived. 

Edited by The Master

10 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I agree with a lot of the points you initially made, particularly the number of characters who were shown to be surrounded by the dead and then in their next scene were either 200 yards away from them taking them on one by one or in a completely different place having inexplicably escaped, but I don’t see how there was going to be a satisfying way to kill off the NK in your eyes. He needed to go (unless you wanted the absolutely shite, IMO, storyline of him winning the whole thing and everyone being dead). He needed to go and I was happier with that than some Hollywood hand to hand combat battle tbh.

Hand to hand combat with Jon wouldve been marginally worse, I suppose. 

7 seasons of him and the dead being built up as the main threat, with them barely appearing in episodes for any length of time, then within an episode they're killed off in their entirety, never to be seen again.

On 29/04/2019 at 03:35, Lyle Lanley said:

Greatest tv episode in history 

It's not even close to GoT best episode IMO.

Like a few other people I thought it was ok, nice production for the most part but very weak story and I was pretty unsatisfied at the end.

Without trying to overanalyse too much (everyone's a critic these days) there were a few things that spoiled it. Firstly the scene with the dothraki charge was cool and it was a chilling moment to see their lights so quickly snuffed out. But I was wondering what the f**k they were playing at charging out into the night at an enemy they couldn't see and we're thoroughly outmatched to. Just ran into a meat grinder, clearly just for dramatic effect. 

Next was the utter uselessness of the two main supernatural characters in the Night King and Bran. Yes NK had a cool moment standing in the dragon fire which I enjoyed but he didn't actually fight anything and eventually got popped like a frozen balloon by a wee girl. I had hoped something more interesting would happen but the big bad of the show managed to make it about 5 miles south of the wall before being beaten and having achieved hee haw other than leaving a few bodies in his wake. I think they wrapped that part of the story up far too quickly and it left a sour taste for me.

The three eyed raven, unless they use the coming episodes to elaborate, contributed to one scene by warging some crows to give us a shot of the NK on his dragon and literally did nothing for the rest of the battle. I can't get my head around what his role was meant to be but it feels like it should have been more.

Most of the plot armour was a bit daft but I can live with that, there are plenty of stories left to round off.

6/10 for me, probably deserves more for the outstanding production value and tension but some of the character conclusions I was looking forward to have let it down.

Hand to hand combat with Jon wouldve been marginally worse, I suppose. 
7 seasons of him and the dead being built up as the main threat, with them barely appearing in episodes for any length of time, then within an episode they're killed off in their entirety, never to be seen again.
But that was the battle of the living v the dead. One or other had to be wiped out there. It was an existential battle for both sides.